230 Figures?

markendee

A mate is considering buying a factory built Jabby. He is leaning towards a 120 but we who use farm strips are suggesting a big wing such as 230 (or obviously a 170.)

I also like the idea of a 3300 (extra couple of cylinders)

For those who have flown/owned a 230, what is the comfortable cruise airspeed and the fuel burn at that speed?

Thanks,

Mark

Mine cruises at around 124 knots (TAS) at 2850 RPM for a fuel burn or approx 23-24 Litres per hour. The big attraction of the 230 is the carrying capacity and touring speed. They are not a short field performer.

John

Guest brentc

John, what do you mean by 'not a short field performer?' In my J400 I can operate out of 300 metre strips and be off the ground within 200 metres if I need to. I would have thought that the 230 would do those distances reliably.

I'd be a bit worried about the little wheels on the J120 if operating out of farm strips.

Indicated speed in the J230 on your average day at say 1,500 ft would normally be around 115-118 @ 2,800rpm.

You're right, Brent, the take-off is no problem. But if you're looking for an aircraft that can land comfortably on a short strip over trees (requiring anything but a flat approach), there are others around that can do it better. The Jab's flaps are not really "draggy" and the approach is pretty flat, I have found compared to other types. It can be done, but it is not really happy.

John

I have watched a couple of J230's landing many times and what surprises me is the flat approach and the long landing run. I have been a passenger in one of them and the approach was so flat that we seemed to be down among the treetops for ages.

One of them doesn't seem to want to start climbing until it gets to 80knots.

Maybe the pilots have a long way to go to get into short fields, but they would not be my pick for anything less than about 400m and it would need clear approaches.

Guest brentc

Hi Mark, my fuel ranges from 20 - 25 depending on how hard I drive it.

From Tooradin to Narromine direct 384 Nautical miles I burnt 25 lph.

At 11,500 ft from Tooradin to Yarrawonga (ref previous posts) ~ 22 lph.

They can be landed short but require a low approach speed. 9 times out of 10 the throttle is set too high, it really needs to be set low to use it as a brake to slow the aircraft down. Jabiru's in general are often flown in too fast when they don't need to be so with a bit of practice they are pretty versatile a and suitable for most strips.

Something to remember is that 90% of farm strips in the outback were built for 172's which are probably the most common aircraft types in use and a 230 will easily beat the performance of a 172.

As for Ian's example requiring 80 knots I'm a little surprised, as at 70 knots mine goes vertical! Literally!

FYI in the 400 tonight I zipped from Tooradin over to Tyabb, indicating 135 at 2,900rpm @ 1,500ft. Not bad.

Mark

Mine shows a cruise of 119 - 120 knots and about 26.5 lph at about 2870 rpm. See the photos of the Dynon in the thread J230 @ YSWG.

If I come over the fence at 65 knots it floats. If that drops to 60 over the fence it lands beautifully.

Regards Geoff

Dont write the 120 off too quickly as even though they have a smaller wheel they are a lot lighter and seem to handle a rough strip reasonably well. As a new pilot i wouldnt land on too short a strip myself but an experienced pilot should get in and out of 400 m with no problem [depending on load and altitude of course]

• 2 weeks later...