Transponders

Guest pelorus32

G'day Peter,

I have recent time with two different makes of mode a/c transponder:

1. Garmin GTX327 this is more expensive than the GTX320 but it is really simple to use, a nice LCD display, flight timer and a few other gegaws - a nice unit. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=198&pID=124;

2. Becker ATC 4401-250. This is a compact transponder that fits in a standard round instrument hole. It comes in two versions 150W power and 250W power. It is simple to use, very compact, very high quality and by all accounts the performance is good. Becker ATC 4401-1-250 Transponder, 250W, compact, 2.25"  The largest selection of Aircraft parts and Pilot Supplies.- SkyGeek.com

Regards

Mike

Guest brentc

I like the Garmin listed above. It has big buttons that are easy to press, once you have entered the code it is active and doesn't require any flip-flop action, the screen is large and looks professional, it has a VFR button for instant 1,200 access and also has an automatic flight timer once you become airborne. It also is the standard rectangle size like an ICOM radio so will fit into a rack and from memory last time I looked may have been cheaper than the Microair. I've used this model extensively in the Cirrus and the Microair in the Jab and I prefer the Garmin for those reasons listed above, particularly because it is less fiddly to operate.

I have many poor experiences with the microair.

SEEMS LIKE QUALITY IS BEING SACRIFICED FOR SPACE.

Never had a problem with Garmins of any model except when you forget to turn the bugger on!!!

Guest Maj Millard

John, I'm fitting a Microair at the moment to the Lightwing, it's used but I'm hoping for the best. It should be up and running in a week or two.I'll keep you informed.

John/ Major,

The microairs I used were in JABIRU`s I was flying and renting from Oasis who used to be at Pt Cook but now over at Moorabbin. The Jabs belonged to private people who hired them out to the flying school.

Twice when I suspected they were not working well (not showing a signal)and asked Melbourne radar for a reading they could not see me and I was only 20 kms distant!

The other main issue was operating them as the buttons are so tiny making changes to the frequency, say if asked to squawk another code, can be literally hit and miss even in light turbulance. Also small dig screen is hard to read especially if you wear glasses etc.

Yeah I know they are meant to be small and light etc to suit Rec aircraft but maybe too small?.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Maj Millard

Got the Microair TX up and running in the Lightwing last week, and so far no probs except I want to turn up the backlight, and it doesn't seem to be in the menu as indicated in the operators manual.

Had a recent close encounter with a Virgin 737 as I was commuting to work at about 7.30 in the morning. I was crossing the approach path into Townsville all legal at just below 2500', below the class C airspace. Was listening to approach and heard him clear the 737 down to 3000' so I was looking for him, but I figured he'd still be a bit out. I looked up to see him banked and framed in my upper windshield..I wish I'd had a camera !! If the pilots didn't see me I'm sure the passengers did ! I dropped a couple hundred feet to avoid wake turb as he was moving a bit but got none. We were both legal, he 500 above the boundry me just below. He only seemed about 400' above not 500' so he might have been a little lower than his cleared height.

At least now with the transponder he'll know where I am if he's got his TCAS on.

Press the power button twice after switching on to get the backlight to it's brightest.

Some time ago I sent my 2004 model Transponder to microair to have the rev.7 upgrade done which incorporates SB06 and inquired about having the backlight upgraded to a menu item like the newer models and was told that would involve replacement of the front faceplate at considerable cost, not worth it on a dated electronic item. The amount was a few hundred $ if my memory serves me correctly.

Regards

Greg

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks GSA will try that in the morning. Cheers Ross.....................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

GSA, Thanks for the TX help, got the backlight under control now.

With the Microair 760 VHF fitted standard to the Lightwing, I am unable to get the two freq scan going. I can get the memory scan ok. The downloaded ops manual from the Microair website must be the upgraded and modified versions. It says to hold down the right lower toggle for three seconds, I do this but nothing happens.

All will be perfect in avionics land if I can get the two channel scan....please help !!

Thanks.....................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

How old is your radio, Ross? What the manual says is correct. Keep holding the right hand toggle until a "M" (for monitoring) starts flashing next to each frequency (active and standby) in turn. It may be a bit longer than 3 seconds. To exit, press the toggle once then press again to swap frequencies. Im I making sense??? If so, it would be a first.

John

It needs to be a Revision P model.

Check on the side plate, or look in the program menu setup.

Turn the unit on while holding the mode switch down. When startup is finished, you should see "Program Menu" on the display. Use the frequency adjust knob to scroll through the menu items. If you see "Monitor" as an option, you have the dual frequency monitor version.

If so, when you try to go into dual monitor mode, a signal being received on the first frequency (active) will prevent the unit scanning the second (stand-by) frequency. Look for an R next to the freq on the display. If a T is shown instead, you are transmitting.

Monitor mode is entered by holding down the remote memory button (if fitted) or the toggle switch (freq adjust) for 3 seconds.

Guest Maj Millard

Its a 2000 model aeroplane so may not be a revision P. I will check that next time I am out. Have held the toggle down several times with no joy, but will try for longer as John suggests.

Have accessed both menus succesfully, and will also check if I have the monitor function.

Like a mobile phone, lots of stuff there I won't use, but I would use the double monitoring function. I also like the system Voltage output display, that's handy, and I notice it still works with the engine off, showing actual batt volts.

John The transponder I have fitted (used T2000SFL) is performing well and I have only had to make one minor height adjustment so far. Talked to Approach Friday and the were recieving it no problem. Nice when things go well, especially electrical things !.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will let you know if I get monitor going.

Cheers Ross