aussie hang gliding history site

Guest ozzie

Guest Maj Millard

Ozzie I have a friend in Shute Harbour who has an amazing collection of early Australian hang glider footage at many sites and national meets. I sat down one night and watched it all, and it is mezmerizing !. Hell you may even be in it. I requested copies but he hasn't come through. I will chase him up some more. There's some great Steve Cohen and steve Moyes on the Northern beaches of Sydney, together with some great inland stuff, and also the 'graveyard' near Kurnell. Did not do much myself but I can relate to the historical aspect of that period. And don't those 70-80s sheilas in shorts running around bring back memories ! Cheers Ross............PS Love you'r new grin Dude !..................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest ozzie

Who is he? i may have met him. did you drive a xy ute at shute?

fortunatly i was the first person to learn to fly 'dual' off Stanwell in 76/77 and Kurnell was for fun value only. bugger running back up those sandhills. but then again it kept us very fit.

i wonder what happened to movies like 'Birdman' and such.

ozzie

Hi Ozzie,

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, I was at Stanwell 77/78, I too had the xy but a p/van as i had the bread run, most of the guys knew me as baker bob.

Still get heart burn remebering the hamburgers from the beach fish and chip shop!

Bob.

Guest ozzie

hmm 'bolger dans' beautiful bolger bacon burgers followed up with hot apple pie and cream. I have a few super 8 films of those days. Arnold Cohen has hours and hours of footage but he keeps them hidden away.

good interesting early stuff like their homemade quicksilver he and Ray D built when they were still at school. they flew it off the wall at kyeemah ( near the old syd control tower). hand kiting it up with two people running into the sea breeze. This memory jog stuff is great. my book just gets bigger and bigger.

Ozzie

Guest Maj Millard

Ozzie, His name is Ivan Lazzaradie. He actually lives at Hideaway Bay North of Airlie and he flys Nano trikes and also has a Kitfox 1, which I recently put a new 582 into.

He prefers to pronounce his name Evan, as he is a crazy Columbian. He lived in Sydney for a while and did some hang gliding down there. I will PM you his phone No ok. No it wasn't me in the xy, I'm a Nissan Navara man. Cheers Ross.

Geez, here are some 'blasts from the past' - me included. I was a comp. pilot for a HG manufacturer in Adelaide called "Free Flight" between 1974-78. We flew prototypes all over, including Stanwell (where my parents lived).

I also know Ivan Lizarralde (I think this is the correct spelling). I sold him my nanolight, before upsizing to Airborne Redback, then later, Jab. As you say, he is a real character and great guy. He is also into enduro motorcycle riding. He visited me on our farm a couple of times before moving to Qld.

Ozzie - were you the "Blue Stratos" dude??

Guest Maj Millard

bushpilot, I'll give Ivan you'r regards, he still uses the Nano and I recently put some LE tape on his prop for him, as they had been landing on sand you know. That's not a bad looking strip you've got there.................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Ozzie, His name is Ivan Lazzaradie. He actually lives at Hideaway Bay North of Airlie and he flys Nano trikes and also has a Kitfox 1, which I recently put a new 582 into.He prefers to pronounce his name Evan, as he is a crazy Columbian. He lived in Sydney for a while and did some hang gliding down there. I will PM you his phone No ok. No it wasn't me in the xy, I'm a Nissan Navara man. Cheers Ross.

So who is SuperMan!!! lol

Guest Maj Millard

That's the man landing in front of his house, lucky lucky...............................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest ozzie

If the road to Hideaway is still the same then you have to fly. I met a girl who flew a cessna from a small strip in the bush there as well.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes the road to Hidaway is a little better now, and there is a nice big gravel strip right behind Ivans' house. I haven't used it yet but have walked it for a recce, and will try it next time I'm down that way.

Guest ozzie

Last time i was there the mega mansions had just started to be built. and they were pushing a road in from the Bowen end for residential lots and a resort. Place must be a real mess now.

well its is still paradise

Hi there...well is far from being a mess is what i call paradise....you can see it for yourself on the video..now we still have 4 km of dirt road which keeps the invaders away...it acts like a psicological barrier turning people away...but then again you all are flyers so that's not a problem for you to drop in an visit superman in paradise...you are most welcome...

cheers, you can find more minivideos on YOU TUBE.. "flying to heaven" flying to Hydeaway Bay, etc

Ivan

Guest ozzie

I enjoyed going to Hideaway Bay and Dingo Beach ,great place to escape from the crazy backpackers at Airlie. only drove the road once after that i sailed my little 'red baron' cat up to there. (It now lves in Bowen) It is a beautiful quiet place just hope the developers don't destroy it on you. I hated the day i had to return to Sydney for family reasons. regret not buying a small piece of the place before the prices went crazy. i doubt if i could go back now.

Ozzie

Hey Ozzie..dat you NZ Graham...you trick'd me!

Anyway..gr8t2c some hang gliding stuff happenin..just could resist this one on the Rec site and thought I would add my bit.! Have very fond memeories of Stanwell Park, Murdering Gully Merewether and many HG sites up down the east coast..ahh those were the days...fuel 35cents..a burger a buck and just flying..!

Hav fun..its always better when you fly..no matter the problems of the world!

Smooth Flights

Chris :yin_yan:

540677368_ChrisHangGliding.jpg.71708e1349756c42ac4ffa0ab923700f.jpg