Did the Bantam get "Bird flu"....?

G'day all...

I do not find much with regards to the Bantam B22j here in Australia.

Why ?

What is there that one should know...?

What happened ...?

I know, coming from South Africa the Bantam is doing very well over there and many 4 and 6 cylinder Jabiru's are flying there today.

I stand to be corrected...Apparently, here in Australia .....NO 6 Cylinder Jabiru Bantams...?

I just dont get it....?

Where can I get to read more about the history of the Bantam in Australia and who is there to talk to about this air craft in Queensland?

Can anybody direct me to a forum where it might have been discussed pls.

Zazoo

Everybody dies.....but not everybody lives!

Fly a Bantam...mate!

Yea, its a bit of a quiet achiever isn't it.. I recently bought a bantam.. And i love it.. for what it is it can't be beaten.. Its online at our club and evryone has fallen in love with it... I can't find much about them either... Mine has a 582.. i think this engine is perfectly suited to it.. I think the extra weight of the jab engine would negate alot of what you gain from the design eg takeoff distance etc.. but some dont like the 2 stroke i spose.. let me know what you dig up...

I don't know about the weight issue... I squash the gravity meter to 100kg and my mate ....bends the needle to ±105kg and the 80hp Jab motor had no problem getting us both air born at ±100m and cruising along at 55knots, climbing out at an avarage of 750 ft/min. (Airfield @ 500ft)

The 6 cylinder was a total different experience....very short run and climbs well over 1000ft/min.

But, yea... a very enjoyable plane with an Australian motor and all and...... Not many arround?

Thank you for your view on the matter....

Zazoo

Wow...thats cool...I was only going off the quoted takeoff distances.. its longer with the jab engine..never see or flown one with a jab engine so iwouldn't know. Ive never seen takeoff performance like the bantam.. 1 up in 10 kts of breeze it literally levitates..takes off within its own length..

G'day Zazoo,

Yeah, I'm not real sure why there isn't much about the Bantam in Australia, I was looking at one the other night on Ebay, it was a single seater which isn't much fun! but the price was pretty good, bit much for me, but I'm starting to look out for something within my price range.... whether it be a Drifter, Bantam, Thruster, X-air... or whatever happens to hit the right price!

I hope someone can shed some light on this for you,

Cheers,

Tomo

Guest Maj Millard

Wasn't John McBride the importer out of Caloundra ?...seen a couple come through Townsville on there way North. Probabily a very practical aircraft as Merv suggests, much like the Drifter, Thruster, Xair etc. and probabily well suited as an abinto trainer....................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Crezzi
Wasn't John McBride the importer out of Caloundra ?...seen a couple come through Townsville on there way North. Probabily a very practical aircraft as Merv suggests, much like the Drifter, Thruster, Xair etc. and probabily well suited as an abinto trainer....................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yes John McBride is the man for Bantams in Aus - S k y F o x F l i g h t T r a i n i n g

That video on the website is pretty cool, landing and taking off in hardly any run at all...!

You know, with a stall speed of 23kts, you could tow hang gliders with it... wouldn't that be cool!

Guest Baphomet

I own a Bantam B22S (its for sale if you're interested) in my opinion the best of the rag and tube variety.

John McBride is no longer an agent for them but will provide support for maintenance issues. I believe there is an agent in WA

Microaviation is still making them in New Zealand, talk to Max or Maxine. They are currently going through the certification process for a new engine (German I think).

Went for a fly in the new 2.2 fuel injected Jab varient when I was in NZ recently, the climb angle will scare you, but it doesn't fly any faster than mine.

I tried to contact them a few months ago to get some info on the bantam and was told they are no longer distributing the Bantam due to the current economic climate...

Also I contacted the factory in NZ and they told me the six cylinder option is only available in South Africa, something about it not being cost effective to get it certified in Aus/NZ - correct me if I'm wrong...

But agreed not many around would love to see a few more or even have the option of hiring one here in wa, none I know of...

Guest Baphomet

Re the South African Bantams, they do quite a few 'Mods' that the factory doesn't endorse (that doesn't mean to imply that they're unsafe). Max is 'ultra' conservative.

Yea... but I must tell you the "mods" I have seen was only improvemnts to the existing design. For one the alluminium rims looks like a huge improvement for rough terrain (bigger wheel, and better brakes etc.)

Zazoo

Guest Crezzi

Most, if not all, of the Bantams here are registered under CAO 95.55 (factory built aircraft) so you can't make unapproved modifications regardless of whether you think they are improvements.

Cheers

John

You are right John, all modifications on the Bantams sold in South Africa are aproved. So is the modifications I am talking about all done by the factory and approved.

• 1 year later...

bantam

I have one for sale its got the jabiru Only selling because of personal situation. Its lovely to fly. I fly it off a runway only 400metres long with 2 people and no problems.

I have recently put a 40inch prop on and it now cruises at 60knots