Carb Ice Sensor

Outback

I'm about to connect a carbuettor ice sensor to the Bing carb on a Jabiru 3300 engine. The sensor supplied is about 4mm high, 3mm wide and 2mm thick (it looks like a FET transistor).

The problem is: where and how is the sensor mounted on the Bing carb.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Garry

Dear Garry,

Without going to the hangar and having a look, I think I have a fibreglass elbow between the carby and the scat hose carrying air to the carby. We welded a nut with the correct thread onto a small plate and fibreglassed it onto the side of the fibreglass elbow thingy. Sensor screws into nut. Has been there for 5 years and works well.

Regards

Jeff

Picky, but what is it doing?

I presume that it is a temperature indicator and is useful in assessing the "possibility" of ice formation. There would be a recommended position relative to the carb butterfly or slide. the temp. of the carb body could be useful, so possibly there is no need to have the probe in the airflow. Nev

Hi.

I've got one of these on my Jab 2200 powered Cheetah.

I have one of these fitted. I didn't do the installation, so not sure how it was done. Drill the body of the Bing and tap it I believe.

I can ring the installer tomorrow.

I don't have a photo of my installation, but I can get one if you like.

There's a photo and some info here from someone else.

There's some instructions from the manufacturer here.

I was referring to the ssensor for a carby ice detector, not a temperature measuring device. The probe has an LED which shines onto a sensor. Ice forms on the probe before the carby butterfly and gives a warning. Seems to work well.

regards

Jeff

I'm about to connect a carbuettor ice sensor to the Bing carb on a Jabiru 3300 engine. The sensor supplied is about 4mm high, 3mm wide and 2mm thick (it looks like a FET transistor).The problem is: where and how is the sensor mounted on the Bing carb.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Garry

Garry,

I have one in the Bing on my 3300, drilled and tapped into the carb body in the venturi area where the ice forms.

I just removed the carby, took it into town to a local machine shop and watched closely to be certain that they kept all swarf out of the guts of the carb. Took them about 10 minutes to put the right sized drill where I had it marked, then the right tap for my sensor (which is the carb temp sensor for a Dynon).

Works great.

There is a photo in J230 @ YSWG and it should show up if you do a word search in that thread. If it doesn't, post back here and I'll try to post another photo.

Regards Geoff

Firstly, many thanks for the response to my original question. I can now go ahead with confidence that others have been down the sanme path.

Geoff, I don't seem to be able find your original thread/photo. I can't find the word-search function on this site. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction.

Again, thank you.

Best wishes,

Garry.

Thanks Geoff, I'll go ahead as per your suggestion.Cheers,Garry

Garry,

As previously advised, mine works great (and it is really interesting to watch what humidity and temp conditions cause the carb temp to get right down in the danger zone while taxiing) and you can gauge the approx location from the photo, but a couple of things to look out for are:

1. The length of your probe. Mine just sits neatly in the hole and does not protrude very much at all into the throat/venturi of the carby. I wouldn't have liked mine to be much longer.

2. Once you have a location you can gauge the thickness of the carby body and how your thread and probe will sit.

3. The thread that will be tapped into the diecast type body of the carby needs to be treated with gentle love (in my opinion) and as you can see from the photo, I used silastic to help prevent it from coming undone .... as I wasn't willing to tighten it super tight.

4. Any little air leak in this location isn't good, so the silastic helps there too.

Does your probe look similar to mine (I suspect that mine is actually a VDO that is used & supplied by Dynon)?

Let us know how yours turns out.

Regards Geoff

• 2 years later...
Garry,I have one in the Bing on my 3300, drilled and tapped into the carb body in the venturi area where the ice forms.

I just removed the carby, took it into town to a local machine shop and watched closely to be certain that they kept all swarf out of the guts of the carb. Took them about 10 minutes to put the right sized drill where I had it marked, then the right tap for my sensor (which is the carb temp sensor for a Dynon).

Works great.

There is a photo in J230 @ YSWG and it should show up if you do a word search in that thread. If it doesn't, post back here and I'll try to post another photo.

Regards Geoff

I would like to see the photo of the carb air temp probe installlation. Where can I find the photo? Thanks, Jeff

This is a real thread dredge. Some of you people were in nappies when it started.........( just trying to get your attention).

However in the light of experiences and the severity of the consequences of carb icing. A properly located temp probe would have to be a reasonable idea for sure. Nev