RAAus and New Zealand

[imgALIGN=left]http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/attachments/ra-aus-forum/8590d1238387891-avalon-plane-damage-fighting-fund-raalogo.png[/imgALIGN]This week Lee Ungermann RAAus CEO, and Mick Poole RAAus Operations Manager, are over in New Zealand furthering the working relationship between Recreational Aviation Australia and the two similar governing bodies for New Zealand.

Also whilst in New Zealand they will be attending a conference on accident investigation and squeezing in some visits to recreational aircraft manufacturers.

New Zealand refer to the types of aircraft that are flown here in Australia under RAAus as Microlights and their Microlight licence includes controlled airspace and very much like what is known as a PPL here which makes it understandable why their training duration is a minimum of 40hrs compared to our 20hrs.

Great concept..

Be sure Mick & Lee touch base with Doug & Robin Anderson from Christchurch. Doug & Robin are a good friends of ours & Doug is an experienced pilot with many credentials in NZ for promoting safe sport aviation.They can make contact with Doug on Mob-021 510 548 or Tel-03 326 5928...or they may be flying from Rangiora Airfield, North Cantebury.

I am very confident our comrades will be most welcome to meet the gang from NZ..!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
New Zealand refer to the types of aircraft that are flown here in Australia under RAAus as Microlights and their Microlight licence includes controlled airspace and very much like what is known as a PPL here which makes it understandable why their training duration is a minimum of 40hrs compared to our 20hrs.

With the standard of aircraft on the market today that can be registerd with the RAA,it is also understandable that there are those who want to fly into controled airspace, over here in OZ, and therefore they need to do whatever is required to be able to do so, however, I hope that the requirements for those who still just want to fly in uncontroled airspace remain as they always have been.

Frank.

The NZ licencing system is different to the RAAus but its a bit misleading to say they require 40 hours compared to 20

Just proves that any Aussie has to be at least twice as quick as a Kiwi. ;);)

regards

:big_grin:

And you must do 35 hours solo before you can take a passenger. The 40 hours is more like 50, so by the time you are free to go unrestricted you have invariably done around 70 hours

Looking at the chart crezzi posted, on the face of it they look quite similar but I think in NZ you cannot be PIC while flying with an instructor, I may be wrong. So only solo time counts towards your passenger rating.

In Command.

The classification ICUS. means In-Command Under Supervision. This would be the situation where you are undertaking a check flight and you would be acting fully in command. It is reasonable that 100% of such time would be logged as air experience, as it is. By contrast, co-pilot time is only counted 50%. Solo is just that, I would think. Nev.