You saved my life, tonite 8pm

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

Tonight channel Nine at 8PM

this evenings episode features Barry Dawson and the crash of 'Big Al's' Caravan at Nagambie a few years ago, where the entire tail section was ripped off when a parachute deployed over the tail.

Guest ozzie

Big Al was working another Caravan at Townsville when the one at Nagambie went in. He borrowed a 206 and flew down. to pick up the pieces so to speak. On the way back to Townsville he called into Shute were i was working at the time. Al showed me one main wheel and a shoe box!! with a bit of engine case that had the data plate and the oil pick up tube attatched to it, the stainless steel aircraft VH ID plate the stb nav light and some f/glass from the tip and some other small bits and pieces. that was all that was left. i later crawled into the back of a 'Van' and and could see that they are built to light need more strigers and maybe another frame in there.

Ozzie

Guest brentc

It was a good story if you didn't catch it.

Very lucky and moreso that he had only recently started wearing his chute again.

One of the most impressive parts was the live footage of the aircraft descending without a tail and the actual impact with the ground, incidentally almost smack back in the middle of the runway.

Guest Mad Dave

....and how lucky was he to get out of the plane that close to the ground and survive!! A couple of secnds more........

People throw the hero tag around alot lately wheel-up landings etc but that MAN is a true Hero. That footage actually made me shiver.

Well Done:thumb_up:

Guest ozzie

i've never heard of a cessna strut breaking from jumpers hanging off it. some inconsiderate types occasionally 'bat hang' by their feet off the leading edge. dings them up a bit.

Recreational Flying (.com.au) | The home of Recreational Pilots and Ultralight Flying

Not quite about the Cessna Parachute Crash...but every time these threads start about parachuting and the things that can go wrong I find myself adding more video's on the same thread...so I added this one to the video section...

I find parachuting absolutely fascinating but would never have the balls ever to do it...I believe I mentioned before that the gliding club I grew up amongst operated for a time from the Mount Guide Parachute Club facilities near Mount Isa...I saw several parachute malfunctions when I was a kid and I guess this has just added to my...I guess morbid...fascination.

In fact my brother and I had a parachute when I was about 8 years old I guess...old WW2 issue thing discarded by the gliding club...I remember when dad bought it home and we were really excited about going outside and pulling the ripcord, which was actually a bit of a disappointment because the parachute didn't leap out...just sort of flopped.

We never managed to get it back into the pack after that...used to run around dragging it behind us...I guess we were lucky never to try it in a strong wind lol