Recommended reading

Guest Redair

Greetings each, (again). Well my "Getting Started" question got me some sound advice, so here goes again.

As I am pretty much decided that I am going to start my training in the very near future, I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations on which, (if any) books would be worth purchasing so that I can get a head start before signing up for lessons. I have seen that there are an awful lot to choose from, and they vary greatly in price. As I am new to all this, I don't want to be buying books with information that will not be relevant, or that would be written with aero-engineers in mind. Also, I have decided that Iwant togo down the 3 axis route for training, so would be looking for books more aimed at that than at trike flying. Also, any thoughts on PPL packages, would it be worth buying one of these? I assume that much of the PPLsyllabus would be relevant to ultralight training.

Looking forward to your replies, Redair.

G'day Redair,

I've just started training and have bought the ' Student Pilot Kit ' by the Aviation Theory Centre. Costs about $140 and has BAK manual, Flying Training Manual, Flight Radio For Pilots and a Pilots Log Book. It's a basic kit for PPL and covers everything for RAA. Also handy if you decide to go further (eg PPL)

regards

Case

Guest StingGuy

Hi Redair

Yep The Student Pilot Kit would seem to be the standard... for RA you probably will get most of what you need from the BAK Book, but the others in the kit will set you up for further endorsements and study.

Here at Shepparton http://www.flytoday.com.au we have started offering the Long Briefings as part of the training available. If you have an instructor do 10 one hour briefing sessions you'll 'GET' the info much more effectively. The theory is very relevant when you apply it in the air... so getting the study happening will make your time in the plane more valuable. Hope you make it a great learning experience.

Guest pelorus32

Hi Redair,

this was a recent thread - though in an unusual place - the kit builders cave!

http://www.recreationalflying.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2101

Also try looking at this which is a terrific resource:

http://www.raa.asn.au/groundschool/contents.html

At the very bottom of that page there are also links to other guides.

I also concur with the advice about the BAK from Aviation Theory Centre. In my view not the most user friendly book but it's all in there.

Regards

Mike

Hi Redair

My experience was that when I started learning I got the BAK by the Aviation Theory Centre which got me through my lessons. BUT, when it came to PPL training I found that Bob Tait's VFR (day) Study Guide PPL was a lot easier to understand and learn from (for me) with the only problem being that he kept referring to items in his BAK version which I didn't have.

Having my time around again I would have purchased Bob Tait's BAK and then his PPL guide as a set.

Incidentally, the new web site is going to have the theory and prac of 20 1hr lessons explaining everything that a student will learn and especially what it is actually going to feel like doing the lessons which books don't seem to give you. I have convinced one of the instructors up here in Port Mac to write them in a friendly and helpful way so a student will actually know what it feels like when for example you are doing a steep turn etc.

Also, may I mention Tony Hayes book - I haven't seen it but I have heard good reports about it - You will find Tony's posts in the Thruster forum here.

Hope this helps!

I would go for the kit.. and my advice is to study as if you were doing PPL.

At Shepparton, many go on from RAA and get their PPL which is why they teach to the PPL standard. Not only does it give a greater understanding of practice, theory and air law, but it makes for a better pilot.

The other book I would head for is the one on Navigation. This is a really valuable book (RAA and GA) in teaching the essentials and advanced methods of navigating and flight planning.

Just remember the standard RAF equipment is a map, compass, protractor, pencil, clipboard and a stopwatch.

Ben

*Passed the BAK!!*

G'day Redair,

I am with Ian, When I did my PPL I used the Student kit with Aviation Theory Centre for my GFPT.. I would strongly recommend getting this.. around $150.. It starts from scratch, and works in exercises step by step that you can combine with you RA-aus syllabus.. You will be greatly suprised on 'how much more' you will learn by doing so..

If you eventuate in going further through PPL, again, Ian would have to be right by recommending Bob Tait, these books are highly recognised through the industry..

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Redair

From your postingsin other forums relating to X-AIR vrs weight shift, your strip length of 290 meters etc.( all of which haveyeilded yousome very practical advice),it seems you have settled onbasic recreational flying rather than GA or the high performance end of recreational flying....at least for the time being.

In addition to the foregoing advice re.reading and training resources you can access now,your instructor will also recommend required texts ,be they GA or RA-AUS.

In the meantime you might like to download one of the most comprehensive 'Learning To Fly' guides available, which is FREE on the RA-Aus site under Learning to fly.

This is an extraordinaily professionalcompilation by John Brandon and it is anything but lacking in content.

A particularly interesting module which probably won't impact on you just yet is 'airmanship and flight dicipline a CFI's perspective', by Tony Hayes.

Good reading

JL

I second JL's advice. You would not be without the RAAus material. regardlessof whatever else you get, subsequently.So load up your printer with paper & go to it & put it in binders as you will refer to it frequently. A big thanks toJohn Brandon is appropriate here. ...N...

Yes, thanks for that.. I did try and print some of that off a while ago, but lost half of it for some reason. Preview showed everything there, but it just wouldn't print. Also tried copy and paste into a Word Doc. but that was even worse; very disjointed and some bits missed all together.

JL: your comments about my choice of low-end recreational flying/training has come just as I was about to post a new question... That being; given the smallincrease in cost, (at least as far as I can see) would I be spending my money more wisely by going for a full PPL, (I hope I can use that term on this site!) even if I still intend to get an ultralight at the end of it?

Regards, Redair.

Guest pelorus32

Hi Redair,

I can only answer a little bit of your latest question. I've chosen to start with RAA because:

1. It's cheaper, albeit sometimes not a lot cheaper, than GA training;

2. The time towards RAA counts towards your PPL;

3. You get a useable and complete certificate that is simply slightly more limited than the PPL;

4. The learning which you do is all about developing skills, knowledge and attitudes that when taken together build the first blocks of airmanship. Wherever you go or don't go with flying in the future, airmanship will be of critical importance to your enjoyment and your safety. Good RAA training will deliver that to you just as well as GA training.

The short summary therefore is that RAA can be seen as either an end in itself or as the first building block in the aircrew certification process. Either way nothing is lost and much is gained.

Some places, like the place I train, encourage all students to do their RAA certificate first regardless of their later intentions re a PPL or more.

Kind regards

Mike

Redair , you did address a question to JL. However------- Do not feel that the LOW end (So called) of aviation is a problem of status or some thing . You get much more bang for your buckin the"recreational" area . You can be a good airman, (or a bad one ) in any kind of aeroplane .All aeroplanes fly like aeroplanes really, but the smaller ones can be quite challenging in poor conditions. Some of the people who bag the smaller stuff may not really feel confident enough to put themselves to the test, and an elementof snobbery, can come in to it as well, however, decision making is a very essential part of being a pilot Good luck ..N..

Redair ' date=' you did address a question to JL. However------- Do not feel that the LOW end (So called) of aviation is a problem of status or some thing . You get much more bang for your buckin the"recreational" area . You can be a good airman, (or a bad one ) in any kind of aeroplane .All aeroplanes fly like aeroplanes really, but the smaller ones can be quite challenging in poor conditions. Some of the people who bag the smaller stuff may not really feel confident enough to put themselves to the test, and an elementof snobbery, can come in to it as well, however, decision making is a very essential part of being a pilot Good luck ..N..[/quote'] Whoops, looks like I typed what I didn't mean to say. That is, I would be thrilled to bits to fly anything. Don't get me wrong, I mearly meant, non-performance aircraft, not low-end. As for GA aircraft, I don't think that my budget would run to that anyway, and even if it did, I still think I would rather be owning an ultralight or microlight, for the simple reason of running costs. My main point was more towards the advantages or not, of doing PPL training over RA Aus and any benefits it might bring.

AsI said, I still intend to buy a microlight/ultralight at the end of it.

No offence meant to anyone or their machines, and certainly no snobbery on my part... if I could make it fly, I'd strap wings on my push-bike!!!

Redair.

NON PERFORMANCE AIRCRAFT - WHAT, careful what you say there Redair:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

No offence there mate:hug: - you're amongst friends here - keep having fun and those questions coming! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Hi Redair,

I have recently begun my flying journey with the friendly folks at Tooradin... like previous posters, I too have found the RAAus on line guides very good and have purchased the ATC Student Kit (referred to above) on line through turningbase.com.au for $130.

Another great source is the FAA site in the US - here you can download in PDF their 'Airplane Flying Handbook' and 'Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge' I have found these to be the best guides of all in my early reading.

Cheers,

Lee.

Guest pelorus32

Hi Redair,

as far as performance is concerned. I'd rather be flying a light, responsive RAA aircraft with good power to weight ratio than some ponderous GA tank...Said tank being 30 years' old and costing an arm and leg to buy and an arm and a leg to maintain.

Ducks into foxhole and waves white flag....

No offence meant.....honest....please don't shoot you GA guys:angry:

Seriously the performance of many RAA 3 axis aircraft surpasses many of the low end GA aircraft.

Horses for courses.

Regards

Mike

Redair,

If you only want to get into 3 axis recreational, then just go and complete your Recreational license only, I did my PPL first, and saying that, the General Flying Pilots Test (GFPT) of the PPL is basically a slightly more advanced syllabus then the RAA.. That of course involves the BAK and those smaller Pre-Area solo exams aswell..

The Aviation Theory Centre Student kit will teach you exactly this, in a very easy, understanding and effectiveguideline..

And in most cases, you'll find most CFI's teach off a GA, Basic Aeronautical Knowledgebackground, advancing to your knowledge of just the RA-aus syllabus..

And say 5 years down the track you think wow, I'd really like to go and complete my PPL.. You will already have the knowledge for your GFPT, many hours experience and all's you will have to do is familiarise yourself with a heavier aircraft and complete 5 hours of Nav exercises!!!

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Redair,

Wow,some really great responses above.....the wisdom offered to you thus far, exceeds anything more than I can offer at this point.

I personally feel there is still a huge place for slower/basic (more economical) types of aircraft eg. Thruster, X-AIR, Drifters etc.....they are the stepping stone for people like me who are content with a modest investment in return for hours of fun and dare I say it, sheer Joy.

Well maintained ,and flown within limitations,these aircraft are arguably safer and more forgiving than the newer 'plastics'.....The tailwheel Thruster requires more skill on the ground however in the air it is a delight. I have heard it said by GA pilots no less, "fly a Thruster, fly anything"

Having said all that if I had the money I would probably invest in a Foxbat, mainly for its STOL....which incidently,could be your answer to a short strip, if you have a spare $70,000 plus !!!

Another option worth considering for your short strip could be the SuperDrifter 912 (refer the Drifter or Anything for sale forums).I know this aircraft and its builder and it is at a giveaway price.

These aircraft get off the ground in no time at all, and using flaps,can land in 150/200 meters.....skill required!....however might not meet your objective of sharing with your wife unless she is a bit adventurous. They are safe and beautiful to fly......In the absence of a truly STOL aircraft ,the really good advice offered earlier of minimum 300metres, desirable 400 metres for the rag and tube types is well heeded.

Enjoy your search and eventual training.

JL

NON PERFORMANCE AIRCRAFT - WHAT, careful what you say there Redair:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif No offence there mate:hug: - you're amongst friends here - keep having fun and those questions coming! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I'll get my coat!

Redair.

• 1 month later...

There certainly has been a lot of discussion about all the standard student books, BAK, PPL etc, but as a low hour pilot, who is very interested in leaning and preventing anything going wrong there are two books that I would strongly recommend.

"Stick and Rudder", which was recommended to me by various people at my gliding club. This is of course an old but very renowned book about how and why planes fly. (by Wolfgang Langewiesche). It is well written and easy to read.

The other book, which I stumbled on, and which has really helped to reinforce a lot of basic principles was "Stalls and Spins" by Paul A Craig (part of the Practical Flight Series). This book is a fantastic reference which deeply covers stall and spin prevention and recovery and also really made me think about what I had been taught. ;)

I can't recommend this book highly enough, in my opinion, for knowledge to prevent low speed incidents. It is very easy to understand, and strongly reinforced a lot of the student training.

Strongly agree as well about the information on the AUF site.

• 1 month later...