25nm radius from base airport for pilots without Nav Endo

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

Hey guys, I'm just looking for a quick answer here, can I land at an airfield that is within the 25nm radius from my base airfield even though I have not completed my Nav endorsement?

The reason I ask is because I wish to fly from Bunbury (YBUN) to Busselton (YBLN), land and pick up a passenger for a short flight then return to Busselton, drop the Pax off and then head back to Bunbury.

Can I do this without a Nav endorsement?

Cheers in advance.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brett Campany
Sure can, just can't add another 25nm from that point to another airport.How much longer have you got to knock over your nav endo now Brett?

Not long mate, got a total of 6.5 completed and my solo nav coming up next then one more after that before the XC flight and theory exam.

Just waiting for the good weather and the Texan to get back online.

I found the section in the RAAus Ops Man but it say's nothing about landings so it could be up to the school / CFI which should be ok.

I haven't flown the Sportcruiser in a while so I've got a check flight first before the short run to Busso.

Guest Qwerty
Sure can, just can't add another 25nm from that point to another airport.I don't think that the above is correct. I have some recollection that this is specifically mentioned and prohibited.

If the destination airstrip is within 25Nm AND you have a pax endorsment AND the aircraft owner authorizes the outlanding, I cant think why not.

As usual ask your instructor.

Is that 25Nm from the wind sock, or the nearest part of the airfield.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

If it's the latter, how would that apply to, say an outback cattle station which may be considered as the "airfield" and be much larger than 25Nm?

unhappy_composer.gif.d3e9355e1a45a47f19d6ae0bef8b2e30.gif

Guest brentc

It's very simple.

You take off from your flying school or designated airport.

You go flying within a 25 nm radius of this field, in which you can land anywhere if you so desire.

That is it.

You cannot take off at your local field, fly 20 miles and land at a mate's house, then fly another 15 miles to the next place.

How is it policed? Just like everything else in aviation - it's not, unless you get caught when something goes wrong.

What are we?

Other than bush lawyers, comedians and people who think that rules are made for others there is not much left over. You wouldn't have to be real bright to see why this rule is there. The Nav course is the bare minimum and is being /has been extended, yet we have some who think it is not necessary anyhow. The trouble is that when someone does the silliest of things we all suffer and have more imposts put on us and collectively look poor. Nev.

Guest ozzie
I suppose he had gravy concerns.If you were caught, would you be roasted?

Gee 25 miles out and back would take me around 2 hours and two tanks of gas in my Lazair.

post-3146-1246525830.gif.45a91b266e9e4ce13f52ba6bbe870162.gif

Amen facthunter.

We cannot, within the rules, have sub-25 NM hops to add distance to our flight without completing our nav endorsement.

Obviously it can be done outside the rules but getting sprung is expensive (if the fines are based on CASAs). Especially if there is aircraft or person damage involved because it would be extremely unlikely that the insurers would pay.

Guest watto

I agree with Brent and Turbo in saying if something is going to go wrong it will when you are not doing the right thing and then when the saga unfolds and you have to explain yourself your interpretation of the regs may not be enough to explain your way out of the kaka.

Also it is easy to get disoriented the first couple of time you get out of your comfort zone so just go steady and have plenty of waypoints and recognisable landmarks as I am sure you already know so why am I waffling haha.

Stay safe mate

Watto

It's not waffling Watto, it's just amazing how one minute everything is where you expect it to be and then you seem to be looking at the face of Mars, with nothing to guide you home.

I'm a bit curious about the logic of keeping the pilot within the well travelled training area while he is under the control of the Instructor, but letting him loose outside it before he has conducted dual navex training, or navigation theory - seems to be a gap there to me.

Guest watto

Yes Turbo that is true, and really training should provide a safety net such as a tracking device put on the AC for the first few flights that can be observed on line by the school similar to trucks and that would give that added safety, the device could be remove when several solo navs have been completed.

Watto

Hi brett.

Something i did when i was limited to 25 was to do little navs within the space.I would find a waypoint 25 to the south, then the next one would be 45 or 50 to the north and so on.You will be suprised how much you can make of that space if you turn your mind to it, and it can sharpen up your naving skills.

Enjoy

Guest Crezzi
I'm a bit curious about the logic of keeping the pilot within the well travelled training area while he is under the control of the Instructor, but letting him loose outside it before he has conducted dual navex training, or navigation theory - seems to be a gap there to me.

I understand your point but I can't see the sense in restricting newly qualified pilots to the training area when they aren't even restricted to flying from the airfield they learnt at. Lots of people learn to fly at places other than what will be their home airfield.

As for how the 25nm limit is policed - like much else in recreational aviation its primarily about taking personal responsibility for your behaviour.

Cheers

John

Guest Brett Campany
Hi brett.Something i did when i was limited to 25 was to do little navs within the space.I would find a waypoint 25 to the south, then the next one would be 45 or 50 to the north and so on.You will be suprised how much you can make of that space if you turn your mind to it, and it can sharpen up your naving skills.

Enjoy

Very true mate! That's something I'll be practicing a little later down the track while doing my navs. This run down to Busselton is to take Mum for a fly. The wife and I are just going to do the short hop, land and pick her up then I'll take her for a short run up the coast and back before the wife and I fly back to Bunbury.

I'm also trying to get my PIC hours up so I can get my instructors rating later down the track.