Does RA theory cut it?

Couple of exerpts from Bryson's book, "Made in America"

"Even the feature that Americans most closely associate with modern British speech, the practice of saying 'bahth', 'cahn't', and 'banahna' for bath, can't and banana, appears to have been unknown among educated British speakers at the time of the American Revolution....."

and:

Contemporary writings, particularly by the indifferently educated, offer good clues to pronounciation. Paul Revere wrote 'git' (for get) 'imeaditly' and 'prittie' and referred to blankets as being 'woren out'. Elsewhere we can find 'libity' for liberty, 'patchis' for purchase, 'ort' for ought, 'weamin' for women 'through' for throw, 'nater' for nature, 'keer' for care, 'jest' for just, 'ole' for old, ....were commonly, if not invariably heard among educated speakers on both sides of the Atlantic.

All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could probably do no better than Yosemite Sam."

You know, I've been around the block a few times and been witness to the fledging ultralight movement to what it has become in the form of RAA and I am very aware of quite differing standards between RAA schools. I have also experienced quite a draconial GA system that was quite restrictive in my early GA training and flying (VFR full reporting and within 2 minutes at reporting points with flight plans handed over a desk and being knocked back until I got it right). any body can fly an aircraft, takes no special skill except the want to do it. What makes a difference is how seriously we take our flying, afterall our peers are our judges. If we cut corners, do the wrong thing, or innocently stuff up, we soon know about it. Having said that, I believe with the evolution of LSA aircraft, certain (and further) relaxations by CASA, we really do need to look at where we want to go. My thoughts on this is that we need to have a basic level playing field when it comes to the theory side of things..after all I want to know that the other guy flying in the same airspace as me knows the same (basics) as me....RAA aircraft want to get heavier, faster, fly higher and into contolled airspace...what really is needed is a recreational licence that allows you to privately fly the aircraft of your choosing be it a broomstick or a baron, a lot of guys are moving into RAA simply because of the medical as they get older whereas if the medical standard reflected that of say a car licence we could develop a very popular aircraft industry without the associated costs. If we want to go further and fly commercially then there is of course another tier to follow and road and marine industries have been doing it for years!!:Flush:

• 10 months later...
Guest davidh10

Weather is important, even if you are flying locally..

The CFI who is training me (RAA), started me off on reading weather reports and maps right from the second lesson.

I thought that was good, because it takes a while to become accustomed to all the shorthand. Just the other day, I had to refer to the VFR Rules Guide" to check that I had the correct interpretation of a TEMPO. I did, so it's sinking in. :big_grin:

Some people have asked, being a computer person, why I haven't downloaded the app that translates the WX into plain English. My reply was... "How will I fare if I need to check the weather, when away from my PC? I'd rather learn to read the raw reports, so I'm not dependent on technology I may not have at my disposal."

I check the WX and NOTAMS before flying, every time, even if only doing circuits at my local aerodrome. In addition, you can always phone a couple of AWIS as well to get actual conditions in the direction from which the weather is approaching.

Having been involved in sailing on Port Philip Bay as a teenager (back in the steam age 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif), I know only too well how quickly the weather can change. Even if flying only 25nm from the aerodrome, at 60kn it is going to take half an hour to get home. Longer if you have a head wind.

Why wouldn't you equip yourself with the best weather information available, and then look up at the sky? Even then, conditions can vary markedly between the ground view and the experience at different altitudes.

The cost of learning this is just time and effort. The BOM site has all the WX decode info and explanations of the different types of WX reports as well as access to ARFOR, all available at no cost (other than your internet access costs). The next step is to sign up with Airservices Australia for the "Pilot Briefing" service. Of course there's more info in the "VFR Rules Guide", which isn't expensive as a book and used to be downloadable for nicks (currently withdrawn pending update). After 3rd June, the new version should be available. Phone numbers for AWIS are a free to download from AIP, as are the ALA Code / Decode and NDB / VOR lists. You don't need a login to get AIP items).

One of the questions I had to ask was "Where to find the location codes that aren't in ALA lists?" Answer: VOR / NDB lists.

The tools are all there. It just needs the enthusiasm of the individual, along with the guidance, encouragement and support of the instructor.

As to whether it is actually examined formally, this may give someone a tick in a box, but it won't ensure that they use it and maintain the knowledge as they progress further. For that you need the self discipline of the individual.