Greetings from Microland, South Africa

Guest Asterix

Guest Asterix

Hi all,

Just to introduce myself - I fly from an aerodrome called Microland situated about 20 Nautical Miles east of Johannesburg, South Africa

We mostly fly the locally manufactured Aquilla 582 from our field, myself included. I have just over 100 hours now. We do regular fly-aways to the Bushveld and Lowveld - out next trip is from 07 - 10 August 2009 to the Mpumalanga Lowveld and Kruger National Park area - will post you some pics from time to time!!:rotary:

Guest studentbiggles

:welcome:Aboard Astrix, great to see all you South Africans coming to this site, which you'll love :heart:as we all do....I've just starting out in my flying and loving every minute....099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif I thought the paddocks @ Loxton North@ 2800ft looked pretty good but me thinks the Kruger Nat Park might beat that:thumb_up:...Keep in touch with us all, its a great site for all sorts of info at all levels....I'm learning in a "Jabbi"(Jabiru)230..My Sweet Poppet I call her.....I have quite a few clients form your neck of the woods here in the Riverland(SA).....Don't fly too low and knock any giraffe over...Keep it safe in your skyes Cheers Studentbiggles (Alley)

Welcome Asterix. South Africa should be a good country for flying from the little I have seen of it. Few trees but a few 6 packs to avoid, between Joburg and the Kruger. Beautiful country in the South West.

Guest Asterix

Thanx studentbiggles! Yenn - yup! the flying is unbelievable most of the time. I have had days when I can fly from early morning to noon without worries. This makes it easy to fly long distance (300kms easily) on a single stretch with a re fuel stop without worrying too much about turbulence and adverse weather. SA really is a place where you can load your tent and sleeping bag onto your trike and go on safari. Lots of places to land, and fuel is not that big a problem, people are always willing to help. Just never fly over squatter camps - people have taken pot-shots at some of my friends! My old instructor has a patched bullet hole on his left wing. Really.:hittinghead:

Hi Asterix

I agree Sth Africa is a great place to fly over , similar to Australia with the red earth etc. I actually drove past your airfeild last year when I was in Joburg on business.

I was with my distributor on the way to an appointment and could not call in.

Bloody hard driving past an airstrip you havent checked out.

Enjoy the flights but I hope you dont crash outback near those crazy lions , hyenas etc could be slightly dangerous.

Ian might have to add a South African site to the other three if this keeps up :clown:

South African and New Zealand graphics are already in the process of getting made up along with the new header graphics for here :big_grin:

The Aust site should be completed with content this week, this Community site will be cleaned up next, the US and UK sites developed and then SA and NZ will be done :big_grin:

Welcome Asterix

I trained, obtained my licence and did most of my flying with Skyriders in Bapsfontein.

Like you I flew a Windlass Trike.

My instructor was Mike Blyth.

Yes, I aslo had a few bullet holes in my wing!

Guest Asterix

Hey Garth! Nice to hear from an ex - Sky Rider! Mike left the school a couple of years ago, do you know Fanie Deysel, Henk Kraaij and Mervyn Reynolds? These were the gents who opened the skies for me. Great guys, and SKyriders @ Microland is still deemed by many to be the best school in SA. By the way , 03 / 21 is in the processed of being paved - almost done - we have been landing on the grass next to the runway, bordering the lawn farm. Will post aerial pics of Microland as soon as the paving is done (2 - 3 weeks)

Cheers,

asterix

Hi Astrerix?

The names you mention do not ring a bell! I did my flight test with Andy Kasperson - is he still around? When I last looked on Google Earth, Microland looked very much the same as it was when I left in 1994! It's great to hear about the paved runway - I would love to see some photos once it is complete.

Garth