Will I or won't I?

Guest hightimes

Guest hightimes

Hello all,

I've just found this forum and I'm hoping some of you flyers out there can give me a kick start.

I'm 63 yo, live in QLD Australia and I'm seriously considering doing a RAAaus certificate. My problem is this... "What happens after I get my certificate?"

I've owned two sailing craft in my time and loved it early on but found I got quite bored as I became more proficient and needed to do something more than sail around for fun. On both occasions I joined clubs and began racing which added to the enjoyment.

I have a mate in Melbourne that got his GA license some years ago but let it go after a few years because he "got bored with flying circuits by himself each weekend."

The aero club nearest me is small and apparently having problems getting members to participate in anything at all let alone club events. They have a beautiful 172 that just sits there doing nothing because no-one uses it.

While flying is something I've long wanted to do, and while I'm sure I would love the challenge, my worry is that after achieving that, what happens next? I keep thinking of my friend in Melbourne's words "I just got bored with doing it on my own."

I hope that by asking this question in the first place doesn't mean that I should't bother learning. I'm hoping that there are ongoing (reasonably priced) challenges to maintain one's interest.

Hoping to hear from you experienced pilots.

Tony

G'day Tony, and welcome onboard:thumb_up:

Go fly around the country, go to flyins and meet other fanatics, take friends flying and show them this great country of ours...

Obviously your mate needs to go and get out of that circuit and see what he's missing! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif and yeah, take someone with you... makes it all the more worth while!

Have Fun,

Ps. If you haven't already done so, go and have a few TIF's (Trial Instructional Flight) at a few different schools and see what you reckon, that would be one of the first things to do to help in deciding, (a) if you like the idea of flying, and (b) which instructor you can relate to, and feel comfortable with.

Also, If you are just going to fly, say for fun, doing the RAAus certificate would be a lot better than something like a PPL. Also it does depend on how many you wish to fly with you...:big_grin: because in RAAus, your only allowed two seats.

Guest hightimes

Thanks Tomo

I guess I should have added that I figured doing Cross Country endorsement would be great but the problem is that almost all (not too many) the RAA aircraft around here (SE QLD) that are for hire are restricted to short term hire and training. I'm pretty new at this but I don't know where I could charter an RAA aircraft for a week or more.

Cheers

Tony

The GA option is dogged with high costs. To own a GA plane is expensive for maintenance so it is noy used as much as a RAAus plane. That is the difference, it can be flown any time you like and apart from aerobatics and going into controlled airspace you can do practically what you like. Just to get up among the clouds, but not in them is not to be sneezed at and a photographers heaven, as is running along a nice beach and round the rocky headlands. For my own part I love to get up there and do some steep turns and practice emergencies. Great to cut the engine at 4500' and glide back to a landing on the home strip. If that sort of thing doesn't appeal there is always something going on at the dozens of strips that are available. Plenty within reasonable distance from Noosa ar even the one by the Lake at Noosa.

Guest ozzie

Hi Tony yep i got bored just flying circuits and flying in situations that seem to make you feel that you are suspended in space and the world is passing buy. I gave it a miss for a few years then went back to where i started in the 70's when the sport started, flying low and slow. it can be lots of fun belting around a paddock or flying down a river or valley. if i see something interesting like wildlife i go have a closer look.

like you i have done a fair bit of sailing, on commercial yachts in the whitsundays and raced as well on some of the more well known retired maxies but some of the best and most adventurous sailing was on a small red baron cat by myself getting into areas that the bigger boats could not access. big aircraft can be fun at times and take you far away but in between the take off and landing it can be one big bore at altitude. consider bare basic low and slow it's a part of flying that many overlook these days.

regards

Ozzie

Guest hightimes

Hi all again

I do appreciate your responses. They are extremely informative. thanks!

Is it the case though that to fully appreciate a RAAus certificate, one needs to have their own aircraft? I notice by the responses that you all have your own aircraft.

As mentioned in my earlier post, there doesn't seem to be many locations to charter a RAAus plane locally for anything more than a couple of hours at a time.

I'm a big bloke (too big really) and will need plenty of grunt to get me airborne so need something like a Tecnam or Jabiru or such. I don't think a soft wing job would do the trick ?

Maybe this question is unanswerable and I just need to either do it or not.

Cheers and thanks

Tony

Hey Tony, I haven't got my own acft yet, just hire my instructors Drifter when I can, and Harthy's Jabiru, which he's got set up for hire.

If either acft are free, you can hire them for any period of time... but I guess you've just got to find a place where you can do that, most flying schools require there acft when you want it for hire I'spose!

I get it pretty good out here... but I will most likely be looking for an acft for myself in the near future!:thumb_up:

Hi Hitimes, dont let the weight put you off, I have a bit on myself and fly a rag and tube ultralight. No problems with flying. Get the ultralight cert, that way at least you can say you can fly and you never know what may be around the corner. Cross country endorsement will get you out of the circuit and bust the 25nm limit wide open. Things look a lot different from up there.

Cheers

Maynard

Guest blakey36
Hi all againI do appreciate your responses. They are extremely informative. thanks!

Is it the case though that to fully appreciate a RAAus certificate, one needs to have their own aircraft? I notice by the responses that you all have your own aircraft.

As mentioned in my earlier post, there doesn't seem to be many locations to charter a RAAus plane locally for anything more than a couple of hours at a time.

I'm a big bloke (too big really) and will need plenty of grunt to get me airborne so need something like a Tecnam or Jabiru or such. I don't think a soft wing job would do the trick ?

Maybe this question is unanswerable and I just need to either do it or not.

Cheers and thanks

Tony

Hi Tony...If it's a Tecnam contact Greg Neale at Airsports Boonah...If boredom is your problem consider doing your own aerial photography, you can do it any time you are flying, except when under training...regarding aircraft hire vs owning and I've done both...you could consider purchasing a share in an aircraft as an alternative it's done quite a lot these daysor on the other hand at 63yrs you could proud in just the achievement of gaining not only your pilot's cert but your xcountry and pax endorsement...I know I'm 73yr and there are older pilots than me still at it...Good luck on any decision you make and please enjoy.

Bryan

Guest hightimes

Thanks so much fella's for your support. I'm almost certain I'm going to proceed and see where it leads.

Thanks again

Tony

To do or not to?

It is a fair question to ask. On one hand the development of the ultralight movement has taken place at quite a fast rate, recently and there is a lot to choose from aircraft-wise. The top end is not cheap., and there is not much construction going on, (or a minimum).

To just come out to a fairly remote aerodrome and get your plane out and do a few circuits to keep your hand in is not enough. Doing your own maintenance is a plus, but can still be a little lonely.You need the social side as well. so try to develop that. The view from the "office" is always different but it is better to travel with an organised group to places, if that appeals to you. In our complex world, there are many opportunities to do things, without watching TV. Your age is not a problem, but time is ever marching on.

If you want to fly around the place, unless you camp, accommodation becomes the biggest cost often, and you have to be flexible about the time away as the weather may have a great influence on when you can safely fly. You have to fly lighter than with GA, as you are always up against the Max. AUW. Regards Nev.

Guest hightimes

Yes guys

As mentioned I'm (almost certain) to proceed with the RAAus Certificate.

It's just that most of the top end planes around here are used for training so if I wanted to take a longer trip after getting some experience and cross-country, I'd be struggling to get an aircraft to do it in.

What I didn't want was a simple commitment to get a certificate turning into a having to purchase an expensive aircraft simply to add some enjoyment and challenge.

I'm still not sure about that one.

Cheers

Tony

Guest hightimes

Hi again with a slightly unrelated question.

I was talking to a friend of a friend last night that has a Tecnam. He told me that the Jabiru engine (not sure which one - 2200 or 3300?) was quite unreliable and never made the specified hours before an overhaul was needed.

Has anyone heard anything about that?

Thanks

Tony

The old Furfy about the Jab engine. I have asked on this forum, several times for people who have had a bad experience with Jab engines to post it here. So far no posts. Have a look at the number of Jab engines flying and also at the accident rate for RAAus. Doesn't that tell you a story about how reliable they are.

Hi Tony,

I was confronted by the same problem of what to do after I got my rec licence:confused:.

I ended up doing 8 hours training and then stopped because I felt wanted my own aircraft to fly afterwards to keep my newly gained skills. I didnt have the money to buy a Jab or simular up front so I decided to build my own aircraft and spred the costs out over a longer period of time.

I feel it will add to the over all flying experience if you are able to build and then fly where ever you want.

I am keen on building a Cheetah or Sierra from Morgan Aero Works.

I am in Buderim so if you are interested in more info PM me.

We seem to be surrounded by flying schools on the Sunshine Coast. I am certainly

looking forward to completing my training.

Steve

Guest drizzt1978
Hi again with a slightly unrelated question.I was talking to a friend of a friend last night that has a Tecnam. He told me that the Jabiru engine (not sure which one - 2200 or 3300?) was quite unreliable and never made the specified hours before an overhaul was needed.

Has anyone heard anything about that?

Thanks

Tony

Its a serious ford vs holden argument. I was with a instructor the other day who has over 700 hours GA instructing, and he said he gets more worried about sitting in an old cesna than flying a JAb and has only ever had a carb ice problem, where he has had several things go wrong in older GA aircraft.

I have seen three of them go to total time at my school without an issue! If you look in these threads you will find many arguments about jabs for an against.

Michael

Guest Crezzi
I was talking to a friend of a friend last night that has a Tecnam. He told me that the Jabiru engine (not sure which one - 2200 or 3300?) was quite unreliable and never made the specified hours before an overhaul was needed.

As others have said this has similarities to the Holden / Ford argument with very strong supporters for both positions. If you search through the threads of this forum you'll find a lot of discussion on the topic. I believe Yenn is correct that nobody posted any info on their own engine blowing up but the used aircraft ads do show a lot of Jabiru aircraft with more hours on the airframe than the engine.

As to hiring aircraft it is certainly possible to do this for longer periods. Last year I rented a Tecnam Sierra for a 2 week trip to Birdsville & SA.

Hope that helps

John

I don't want to be seen as an apologist for Jabiru, but fair's fair.

In this months RAA magazine, without going to the extent of phoning owners my count was two Jabiru and two Rotax (three if you count the 447) where the airframe hours were greater than the engine.

From my past experience using light engines for heavy duty racing where some of the servicing left a lot to be desired, those results are what you would expect.

But discussing engine life when you haven't yet stepped into an RA Aircraft could be a bit premature.