cabin heater 230

Jabiru Phil

I got back from the Sunshine Coast last Thursday, 8 hours with a 15 kn headwind most of the way. The air was pretty cold and I used the heater for most of the way. Sometimes it got a bit warm and I was experimenting with only partially opening the heater. I took off the cover yesterday to check the motor etc and found that when the heater control is partially open the air inside the engine bay is open to the cabin.

I am not sure if this air can be forced into the cabin along with the heated air or not.

Heater is a factory installation which is different to the old kit build hearter on the old 230, which goes via a collection box.

Perhaps someone could comment on this and allay any fears of what could be a major problem if there was an exhaust leak etc.

On a different subjec: My heels got pretty sore after a time and I reckon that a couple of foot rests either side and above the pedals would be a big help. Anybody had this problem?

Cheers.

Phil.

Guest watto

Yes I have a 230 and I have not had a good look at the cabin heater set up but that is why you have a carbonmonoxide detector in the cabin as the exaust and engine fume can enter the cabin and if you have a hole in the exhaust then there is a chance for you to become extinct if you do not detect the leak.

It can be hard work in a strong head wind or cross wind but even when I drive my car for several hours I get sore feet and legs so I would think that has more to do with the lenth of exposure to the activity more than just the ac type (8 hours is a long time behind the stick) how would you feel after 8 hours in a toyota corolla and how far woulld you be in comparison?

When I got the standard Jab cabin heat kit I didn't like the look of the butterfly. Just a metal on metal seat between the engine bay and the cockpit. So I welded a sleeve on it, and ran a NACA duct to the outside, so that when the heater is off, I can be sure no fumes can come in.

I now have an electric CO detector too. Apparently the first thing to go when you get CO poisoning is your colour vision. Didn't seem like a good plan to rely on seeing the colour change on the card type detectors. Not to mention the audible alert and flashing light I would now get, rather than picking the colour change up on a scan.

As for heel comfort, I would look at the shoes you use. Quality runners with a lot of heel padding might be the go.

I did 7 hours up to Bundy, and 8 hours back, and comfort was not an issue.

Except for the cold on the last 4 hours - I wouldn't have known if I had sore heels because I couldn't feel my feet at all.

I have since sealed a few air leaks so the cabin heat is more effective.

Thanks Watto, Startiblast,

That electric CO detector sounds the go,where to purchase?

I must admit that I did not think to look at the detector in flight:censored:

I only realised that there could be a problem after inspecting the heater arrangement later.

I will have another look at the weekend and follow up your suggestions

Re the sore heals... I do have soft runners and don't have any problems when driving long distances in the car. Modern cars these days have a rest for your left foot and makes a comfy spot and right foot on gas pedal is OK. The seating arrangement in a car also gives you the option of shifting your right foot when on cruise control, a contortionist movement in the Jab.

The Jab flys without any pedal input and resting feet there only lightly is nearly impossible to do without some pressure going into that control on longer flights, hence my idea to have a couple of foot rests.

Any further comments would be appreciated.

Phil.

Do not think it is only Jab problem. I find anything past 2-3hrs causes problems with feet, legs, and rear end (back also in Jab).

One of reasions I fitted auto pilot was to be able to move around. While I fitted a two axces, have used single/wing leveller which is OK (and much less cost) if you can trim.

Have found it it's so good I now stay up longer if needed, AND it helps solve the bladder problem by being able to do something about it.;)

Yeah the foot thing - Im tall and find my right foot needs a stretch fairly often

I have had a bit of success in that my foot is just wide enuff to put it in the middle of the pedals, a bit of boot on each , and this negates the unintented rudder and gives one foot a rest.

With AP I would have thought this could will be worse - no where to put your feet and you would be fighting AP?

Re CO detectors, Im looking into getting one at the moment, found a small pocket one, around $190, trying to get them cheaper, Ill let you know what I find out

JR

That electric CO detector sounds the go,where to purchase?

Hi Phil. I've just found info in the CO detector I was sold in Bundy.

It's from Coprotector and looks like this.

I won't post the web address because my system warns me that it is a known attack site. They may have been compromised.

You can find it with Google though, and the price is about AU$140.

Cheers,

Ross

• 6 months later...
Do not think it is only Jab problem. I find anything past 2-3hrs causes problems with feet, legs, and rear end (back also in Jab).One of reasions I fitted auto pilot was to be able to move around. While I fitted a two axces, have used single/wing leveller which is OK (and much less cost) if you can trim.

Have found it it's so good I now stay up longer if needed, AND it helps solve the bladder problem by being able to do something about it.;)

Hi

Would you be able to post for me some pics of the autopilot servos installation: or give me some description.

Thanks

oliver

The big chains in the U S A (Sears, Home Depot, Maynards) sell them for around $25 US, they are a requirement in most of the colder states homes They look like and are around the same size as a household smoke detector. Sears do mail orders but make sure that you get it sent USPS Priority International Mail ($12.95 US for a 8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8" 4lb box as freight can otherwise be a killer.

If you check the performance of these household ones its pretty poor

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Theres also a new one Pocket CO which is designed as a key ring sized unit, also records low level exposure and alarms on this too.

About Pocket CO - Miniature CO Detector and Dosimeter

I have some left from a bulk order if anyones interested ~ $160 ea - below my cost

Ovidiu: most autopilots in RAA instalations have a servo box around a quarter the size of a shoe box with a leaver attached to the applicable control arm(s) to move it either way.

On mine the leaver is attached to the Al tube control rods. I see no reasion why it would not work on a Morse push/pull type cable instead.

While different aircraft would require fine tuning the principle is equally simple.