Engine run ups on the threshold

Guest Qwerty

I can kind of see an instructor with a low hours student taking a short period of time to talk through the take-off proceedure before sticking it, but any-one else should be straight off, I reckong it is a dangerous habit to get into.

Can't even see that TBH - should be done in the run-up or just before entering. Maybe in the early stages a few extra seconds to make sure you're lined up properly before fanging it ...

I remember once having an issue with the plane which meant we sat at the threshold for maybe 45 seconds and it seemed like an eternity! Not a good place to be, and as you say a dangerous (and inconsiderate) habit to get into.

Guest Mad Dave

I agree, I am only talking about a low hours student and only a VERY short period of time (in the a few seconds range) just to repeat what the student should be doing (...throttle to full, don't forget the right rudder, keep it on the centre line... etc.)

It might surprise some people to know that when they are waiting at a level crossing for a train to depart from a station, the stopping time is only about 20 seconds.

I'd be in favour of the instructor helping the student on the roll across to the centreline if the hours are that low.

Maybe that's where it all starts - the freshly graduated pilot gives his passenger briefing there "I'm going to push the throttle in and you'll feel a gentle force... it's over here at the side see...no don't touch that one...Ah S:censored: what was that?....

If I need to do any checks on the runway I site pointing across the runway so that I have vision, then a burst of throttle with full rudder and I am lined up for a safe departure. Generally it is very bad airmanship to occupy the runway unnecessarily.

Can see requirement for a SHORT hold to eye the gauges, or final word to a new student.

ONLY other reasion I can see to hold would be if you backtracked with another aircraft and had to wait for the approved seperation prior to rolling.

Guest Qwerty

These times on the threshold are so long that I have often had to go round when the aircraft lined up while I was MID down wind. Admitttedly my circs are small, but still it seems like forever. I'm glad I wasn't being precious.

A variety of run up positions

It's interesting to see the different "conventions" at different airfields: At Narrogin it is the 'done thing' to run up on the apron just short of entering the runway to backtrack to the threshold (either way) - there are no taxiways at Narrogin. At Beverley it seems you do your checks at a special run up apron as there is no other sealed area including the runways, also no taxiways. At Northam where I currently fly the run up is conducted at the 'holding area' short of the 'yellow line' adjacent to the threshold - Northam has sealed runway and taxiways. Although I observed a couple of agwagons early last Saturday do there checks in front of the hangers before blasting off - it does seem that ag pilots have different procedures to the rest of us!!!. These 3 airfields are not busy and I suspect that a more formal approach would be needed at busy airfields.

Pud

This is where official complaints should be made.

If we stay quiet we are possibly putting ourselves and others at risk..

The thing I do have to ask tho..Is it illegal to sit at the end of the runway doing your stuff, or just incredibly shoddy, selfish airmanship?