RAA in CTA.

Guest basscheffers

I am wondering, with keen interest for obvious reasons, what impact the new director's view of RA in CTA will have on those now operating under an exemption. (Parafield, Coffs Harbour, Cambridge, others?) Most of these exemptions are set to expire early next year. In the past, they have always been renewed, but will they still?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don 't totally agree with Ozzie about the US system where the LSA was created to work around the problems with FAR103. Max 10 gallons, no passengers and the crazy situation whereby there are thousands of pilots taking their wives/friends for "instructional" flights.

To my mind LSA is a US solution to a US problem that did not exist in Aust and introducing LSA to Australia is an unnecessary complication.

dems my thoughts

Davidh

Lsa.

Agree with you David. Bit of a stop-gap fix. Suits America at the moment. but history will see it as very arbitrary. I am sure the skycatcher has been built with a strrettccchhhh. in mind. Piecemeal growth does not produce a great result, but this has been the nature of the beast. Those who want to go back to yesterday will perish of isolation and lack of critical mass/numbers to be a force in the industry. It is not an option really. There is growth out there and it is in the area that RAAus administers, mostly. It will happen regardless of who administers it, unless it is stifled by authority, as a result of person(s) stuffing it up. This may be exactly the situation that we are in..essentially shooting ourselves in the foot. You wouldn't have had to be Einstein to have predicted it. This is a time to get behind your organisation, but to expect straight talk, realism and cool heads to sort it out. Nev..

When it comes to ultralighting the yanks are miles behind here and Europe. Why copy the buggers? They are still trying to catch up to the rest of the planet. On the money about trying to tap into a growth industry.

Back to my thread, and a very interesting point by basscheffers, cripes! This is going to hurt if McCormick DID mean out of all CTA. Hope the board is up to the challenge to maintain what has been already gained.

Agree, Facthunter.

Guest basscheffers
Back to my thread, and a very interesting point by basscheffers, cripes! This is going to hurt if McCormick DID mean out of all CTA. Hope the board is up to the challenge to maintain what has been already gained.

I always found it interesting that the exepmptions allowed all of CTA to be accessed. I would be happy with just being able to use the GAAP and stay out of class C. (a bargaining point if it comes to that!)

Has RA-Aus been involved much with these exemptions, or is this mainly something between the operators and CASA?

I would just get my PPL, but we do use the plane to train RA at Parafield and I'd like to keep it that way because without other people renting it, I can't afford to keep it!

By the way, Destiny Flyer.041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif :thumb_up:

Basscheffers, true. I remember reading about how Cambridge got their exemption with a more than little amount of trust on both parties between HB TWR and the guys at Cambridge. Considering where it is on the map wrt HB is no small feat of negotiation and trust....hope it continues.

Guest brentc

Well a ppl was and now is the only route you can take. Raaus hours are not wasted. I reiterate that it took me 3.5 hours plus flight test to get my ppl after having raaus certificate with cross country endorsement.

Guest brentc

Yes, I went and did the exam too. It's not really simple, but it's not rocket science, particularly if you have some sample questions and know the difference between the time zones.

quote...>>>I always found it interesting that the exepmptions allowed all of CTA to be accessed. I would be happy with just being able to use the GAAP and stay out of class C. (a bargaining point if it comes to that!)>>>>>

When I enquired about renewing my PPl alst week I was advised that i could have my PPL endorsed a at one of three levels

OCTA, GAAP, or CTA.

The OCTA PPL does not have authority to enter a GAAP, which puts them in the same level as RAA certificate holders.

The GAAP PPL does not have authority to enter CTA.

Which raises the question re RAA CTA endorsement is it the intention to have two endorsement levels GAAP and CTA? or is a candidate for a RAA CTA endorsement to be denied the option of a GAAP ticket only.

Davidh

When I enquired about renewing my PPl alst week I was advised that i could have my PPL endorsed a at one of three levels

OCTA, GAAP, or CTA.

The OCTA PPL does not have authority to enter a GAAP, which puts them in the same level as RAA certificate holders.

The GAAP PPL does not have authority to enter CTA.

Which raises the question re RAA CTA endorsement is it the intention to have two endorsement levels GAAP and CTA? or is a candidate for a RAA CTA endorsement to be denied the option of a GAAP ticket only.

Davidh

That's interesting David, which school was this with? I'm happy to be proven wrong but I don't believe there are any such "CTA / GAAP" endorsements for PPL - you either have a PPL and you can fly in controlled airspace, or you don't have one and can't.

on reflection the GAAP/CTA separation of endorsements will become irrelevant when GAAPs become class D airspace and that certainly looks like happening well before RA get any CTA authority.

It looks like I need to start saving for that transponder

cheers

Da vidh

Matt did say

>>>>>>>

That's interesting David, which school was this with? I'm happy to be proven wrong but I don't believe there are any such "CTA / GAAP" endorsements for PPL - you either have a PPL and you can fly in controlled airspace, or you don't have one and can't. >>>>>>.

It was only the GAAP endorsement that was news to me AFIK the OCTA PPL has been available for yonks.

cheers

Davidh

Guest Ken deVos
That's interesting David, which school was this with? I'm happy to be proven wrong but I don't believe there are any such "CTA / GAAP" endorsements for PPL - you either have a PPL and you can fly in controlled airspace, or you don't have one and can't.

I have heard that PPLs that did not include a CTA/GAAP endorsement were granted in the past (usually when training in remote areas). However, most or all PPLs granted in major city areas usually always included the endo.

Hmmm, it appears I might be incorrect after all...according to CAO 40.0, Section 3.2:

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/orders/cao40/4000.pdf

3.2 The holder of a private pilot licence must not fly an aircraft as pilot in

command in controlled airspace that is:

(a) a control area; or

(b) a control zone for which there is a radar service; or

© a control zone for which there is no radar service; or

(d) a control zone at an aerodrome that operates under general aviation

aerodrome procedures;

unless:

(e) the holder has received training in the aeronautical knowledge needed to

safely fly an aircraft in the kind of airspace concerned; and

(f) an authorised flight instructor, or CASA, is satisfied that the holder can

safely fly an aircraft in the kind of airspace concerned; and

(g) the instructor, or CASA, has made an entry to that effect in the holder’s

personal log book.

This creates a bit of confusion for me, to obtain my PPL I was required to undertake CTA and GAAP training and during my PPL test had to fly in both GAAP and CTA airspace. I do have a logbook statement to the effect that I've been trained and deemed competent. It was never considered an "option" not to do it though. Maybe my instructor thought as I do now - don't consider it an option, consider it a requirement.

Guest basscheffers
on reflection the GAAP/CTA separation of endorsements will become irrelevant when GAAPs become class D airspace and that certainly looks like happening well before RA get any CTA authority.It looks like I need to start saving for that transponder

Class D doesn't have radar, so I would assume you don't need a transponder either!

Guest brentc

You're right Matt, very few instructors would tell their students to go down this route, not only because it could be considered useless not having the CTA endorsement for a GA pilot, plus it's more cash to do the whole lot, hence more profit. From what I've seen, GA students that are struggling a bit or RA-Aus pilots that convert to GA take this lesser option, then once they have built up their skills, upgrade later.

Guest Cloudsuck

My PPL most definitely has a CTA/CTR endorsement. When I did my flight test, had to go into Coolangatta . Going into a GAAP like Archerfield would not have given me the endorsement.

Also note, there are two separate parts to the endorsement CTA and CTR (not just CTA).

Guest Cloudsuck
When I enquired about renewing my PPL alst week

What do you mean by renewing your PPL. A PPL is for life, no renewal required.