J160 intercom

DarkSarcasm

Hi all,

I'm buying a headset and it says that you can switch it between stereo and mono for different intercoms.

Out of curiosity -

What's the difference between stereo and mono?

Is the J160 intercom stereo or mono, or are there different intercoms in different planes and therefore it depends which plane you fly?

When I get my headset I will ask my instructor about the actual plane I'm flying, but being fairly hopeless at electronic things, I'm curious to find out how it all works...

- Darky:cool:

Stereo is left and right speakers going in unison. (that's stereo in a nut shell anyway!), mono is only the one side, ie mono...

Some intercoms only work in mono, whilst others have stereo, so it's probably just saying it can work on both types, or if you don't like to hear things in stereo, (both ears) you can switch it to mono, (one side)

I'd assume most modern planes would have stereo then, because I can't really see why people would WANT to only have noise in one ear (unless they're deaf in other I guess, in which case they wouldn't have a choice anyway)...

Guest Qwerty

If I may? I think a little more info is needed here.

DarkS

stereo is the delivery of sound from a right microphone to a right speaker (or ear cup in this case) and delivery of sound from a left microphone to a left ear cup.

mono is the delivery of sound from one microphone to usually one speaker but in our case the mono sound (ie single track) is delivered to BOTH ear cups.

The difference is that stereo sound (if recorded properly) gives better sound definition and also can give excellent illusion of depth or the illusion of "the direction that the sound is comming from".

This is a simplified version of my understanding as it relates to DarkS's question.

Guest Qwerty

The VHF is mono into both sides of your headset. Stereo is recent and is to accommodate inflight music from cd's ipods etc. I don't listen to music, to me most music is similar in irritation value to a lawnmower or a vacuum cleaner, just more environmental stress.

Ooooooooooooh, so when you plug the headset into the plane you have it on the mono setting?

I think the music must be a little less annoying than a vacuum cleaner or a lawnmower....at least it's environmental stress you can sing along to! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Qwerty

It won't matter what you have it set to.....its mono...you will only get mono.

No really, music is just a noise to me. I'd rather listen to a radial engine or a Ducati SS900 or my Harley....flat out.

music is music plain and simple. but the sound of a nice engine cant be described as music or "enviromental stress"(lol) but as sure pleasure. my mate who i work with is colour brind and tone deaf but somehow he can tell you what bike is revving its t*ts off. and he thinks its heaven.

Recently my passenger complained that he could only hear from from one earpiece.

I mentioned to someone who put me on the right track and swithed to MONO on that headset.

God knows how long it had been on Sterio!

Phil.