Savannah upgrade kit

Robert

Hi All

I am finally getting around to fitting the weight upgrade kit to my Savannah

I am not looking forward to removing the wing leading edge skin. As I didnt build the aircraft it will be new territory for me.

Also I have removed the slats and fitted Stolspeed VGs. I want to remove the slat mounting brackets while i am at it but not sure what to do with the holes in the leading edge skins.

Any advise or tips on going about the above would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

G'day Robert,

you could upgrade the leading edge to the full aerofoil .....requires new nose-ribs & leading edge skin....while yer at it!

just a thought!

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Robert,

I would change the leading edge as well:thumb_up:. This will not be very hard at all and should not take more than a couple of days work - plus the painting.

It's worth the effort and wost of all you stay with a tested wing profile.( I think this was covered in other forums ) .

Some people do fly the Savannah with the "old" wing without the slats and vortex generators fitted. I have seen some of those and they have ether closed the gaps where the brackets used to be with gaffa tape or riveted some aluminium skin over it. Guess it comes down to wether you want it to be standard or non-standard.

This could raise it's ugly head when it comes time to sell it.thumb_down

happy "rivetting"

the grey Nomad

• 9 months later...

John, at Stolspeed, has done some tests on the Savannah VG wing (new profile) and the old Savannah wing profile with the slats removed. There seems to be no benefit in going to the new wing profile at all.

I have been a passenger in John's plane (no slats, old profile) and it is truly awesome. I don't think there is any performance lacking whatsoever.

• 1 year later...

I noticed that the RA AUS permitted weight limit has risen to 600 kg ...no doubt to match the 600 kg US LSA regulations in place for a few years now. Has any one heard of an upgrade kit from ICP to increase the Savannah's MTOW from 560 kg to 600 kg?

• 1 year later...
I noticed that the RA AUS permitted weight limit has risen to 600 kg ...no doubt to match the 600 kg US LSA regulations in place for a few years now. Has any one heard of an upgrade kit from ICP to increase the Savannah's MTOW from 560 kg to 600 kg?

*B*U*M*P*

from 544 to 560 hank the later kits like mine are 560kg

Somewhere earlier this year, there was some talk that the Savannah S was going to be upgraded to the US LSA market standard of 600 kg. I was wondering if anyone had heard whether this is just rumour or a reality?

I see. I'm not sure where I 'saw' it on the net, the USA I think.

Mark: Did you see the Savannah with Viking engine installation flying (I posted the youtube link under the Viking thread today).