Dinner with CASA's CEO John McCormick

wags

Does the direction of aviation concern you?

Where will we be headed in the next 5 years?

What can we do to ensure our very survival?

Come and join Gympie Aero Club at a night with CASA's CEO John McCormick on Saturday 5th December 2009 to be held at the "Australis Noosa Lakes Resort" Noosaville. John will be the guest speaker and he will be able to answer all those questions and more.

Enjoy a night of good food with like minded fellow aviators starting with drinks from 5:30 pm and dinner at 6:30 pm.

Affordable accommodation has been negotiated at the venue. Fly-in to Gympie and free transport can be arranged to Noosaville and back. Ferries to Noosa from opposite the venue for those who want to spend the weekend.

$75 per ticket, drinks extra.

NB: "Australis" is a non-sensitive area.

Can you afford not to be there?

Further details available from:

GAC President Jennifer Beck 0419 784715, [email protected] or...

GAC Secretary Deb Wagner 0413 189019, [email protected]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John McCormick addressed the board at dinner at the recent board meeting and he inferred, or as the way I took it, that he just has too much on his plate with GAAP and many other things then to start looking at our CTA entry.

I found him quite interesting to listen to. He also mentioned some other things plus some great news from ATSB which I will add to the RAAus forum here as I get time

• 2 weeks later...
Guest becky1

Hi Everyone,

As a member of the Gympie Aero Club and one of the people helping to organize the evening with John McCormick,our goal is to have an avenue where the rank and file pilots,not the management or the board members nor the chief pilots and airlines executives,but us RAA and private pilots who fly because we enjoy it, can listen and be informed as to why decisions have been made which will affect us directly and then we can form an opinion if we feel those decisions were right or wrong.

So far we are getting a very large response from RAA members who wish to attend which is fantastic, maybe because as discussed on these forums there has been a lot going on e.g, CTR, mandatory radio, MTOW increases etc, so this is our chance to shine and let the top man in Australian aviation see that we really are interested in safety and the future direction recreational and GA flying will be going in the next five years.

The main reason for this post is we would really like to know,[if its okay with Ian] through these forums what specific questions would you ask John McCormick if you had the opportunity and then we could suggest that he could perhaps cover some of those areas in his address on the night for us all to hear.

We are really looking forward to having a great evening,good food and lots of aviators to talk too, John is our keynote speaker,we also have as our opening speaker,Brad Smart who is the C.E.O. of the Smart Radio Group an RAA pilot and Sportcruiser owner and ex television and Radio Journalist who has reported from many of the hotspots in the world and interviewed lots of celebrities from Australia and overseas.

We will look forward to your response and seeing you in Noosa on the night.

Jennifer

• 3 weeks later...

How many have you got going to this event - should be a great opportunity for many to get right up front on all the real facts and an opportunity to be somewhat heard

Dinner with CASA CEO.

GAC (Gympie Aero Club) has catered for 200 people to attend the evening with John McCormick as we feel this is a real chance for the RAAus/GA aviation community to put their questions and receive real time answers from the "man at the top". It is intended that a list of questions will be provided to John prior to the evening to allow factual and complete answers to be given. Hopefully then the word can be spread far and wide and some of the many and varied rumours will cease.

GAC offers vehicular transfer from Gympie airfield to the venue in Noosa for those who wish to have a weekend in Noosa associated with the dinner on the Saturday night. A ferry to the Hastings St area leaves from right in front of where the event is happening - Australis Noosa Lakes Resort. Accommodation at special rates has been organised at the venue but it is limited - contact Australis Noosa Lakes direct to make a booking on 5447 1400.

Gympie has heaps of aircraft parking and Avgas 100LL available via a bowser, and I'm sure with a little coaxing Mogas (Premium) can be sourced for those requiring it. There is a servo only 3 mins up the road with Premium available.

Gympie has a "new" committee and is becoming very active in promoting activities and events all aimed at improving awareness and safety within the RAAus/GA community. Our recent "competition" day was an outstanding success and looks like becoming a twice a year event. Plans in the making indicate the event could be held in both April/May and August/September if the interest remains high. A new clubhouse is also on the books... so keep an eye on Gympie as a venue to visit in the future.

I have been just reading Mr McCormicks biography on the CASA website. Very impressive. RAAF with time on Mirages then off to Qantas and then Cathay Pacific helped developed the 777 for them, has time on Lockheed 1011 and Airbus. has over 10,000hrs in command and has a Masters Degree in aviation management and has attended some well accredited business schools and has been on several ICAO committees ect. No doubt he is a very smart man and is a real force to deal with.

Only fault that i can see is that he has absolutely no time or experience in any sport aviation area, according to his biography. i wonder if he has had any propellor type time since he started flying in 1974 or for that matter any recent currency.

So, i cant get to Gympie to ask him myself so maybe someone who is going can ask if he has flown in sport aviation either GA or RAAus areas and if he has any recent experience and currency. Not being smart about this. But how can you make decisions in areas were one has no practical experience or understanding of our needs or wants. i'd love to put him in a Scout or such and see how he goes. Maybe an RAAus instructor can take him for a TIF, it may make him realise that we don't operate on a flight level or that we do not fly aircrat that talk to us like he has all throughout his career.

added note: Mr McCormick has been a very busy lad since he took up the CEO's position in March this year, not only is he paying close attention to us but he has the skydiving crowds rumour mills a buzzing. apparantly he is not a strong follower of sefl regulating bodies and is looking or just one reason to remove them and have everyone back under CASA control. Hell i really hope that one is rumour control out of control.

Ozzie

Hi Ozzie,

John McCormick owns and flys I think is a Yak 50, a single seat, radial engine tailwheel,he is a very keen aerobatic pilot and is often seen when he manages some time off flying in perfect formation with another Yak around our area.

He has expressed interest in obtaining an RAA pilot certificate,and thanks for that question,we could maybe suggest to him he comments about what exposure he has personally to GA and RAA.

Jennifer

Hi JR,

Yes, maybe we could do that, as one of our main aims is for RAA pilots to listen for themselves straight from John McCormick why some decisions have been made rather than just speculation or second hand stories,thats why we are hoping as many RAA and GA private pilots can attend as possible so when we read a comment maybe on this site,in a magazine or the GA forum saying "this is happening because of that", there will be a whole heap of people out there will be able to say " hang on",I have heard exactly what the CEO of CASA has said and this is the correct version and isn't that the one we really need to know?

Jennifer

If any one thinks that it is just the RAAus that is under the scope of CASA's CEO,guess again. he is also paying very close attention to all 'sporting' bodies.

One paticular 'rumour'amonst the jumping community is that if any controlling body does not perform to his expectations then it may be possible that self regulation be withdrawn and CASA will take over.

as i cannot get to Gympie could someone please ask for clarification on this.

Squash the rumours - here what the CEO has to say.

Ozzie, Becky has answered your comment on the CEO flying under RAAus/GA regulations but it's rumours like the one you refer to that this evening is designed to squash... once and for all!

I will endeavour to get something posted on this forum after the dinner containing fact and not fiction/rumours. If there are any RAAus or GA pilots out there who cannot make it to the evening and thus ask their question/s and receive a direct answer from the CEO, put something in writing to either Becky or myself via a personal message and we will attempt to get the answer for you. Please understand that those who attend the evening in person will of course have priority over those who don't attend. However I expect the questions we all have are very similar in nature or subject.

This is great opportunity to "clear the air" - "get the truth" - "stop the rumours" etc on a number of matters that affect all of us - that's exactly why the Gympie Aero Club Committee decided to organize the event. The CEO is a GAC member and offered his services in this manner so that the grass root aviators can hear what is going on personally and not via the very active rumour mill that exists out there.

The GAC Committee urges any aviator who wants to get the truth from the horses mouth on current and future subjects affecting our enjoyment of aviating to come along on the night, "ask the question" and join in the discussion that follows. It promises to be a very worthwhile night for everyone.

Went to lunch at press club in Cbr on thursday, John McCormack spoke . My interpritation of the speach was that he wished to distance himself from to much responsibility in decision making whilst still retaining an authoritarian approach to issues. His very telling comment, re glider towing with a jabiru , was that he would not wish to be in either the jab or the glider . This remark comming after a discussion about the aging GA fleet. Is this a case of, old is ok, and out with the new that is growing ?

Perhaps its just me, but I feel that in life now good old commom sense has gone out the door (its easier than the window) and that job security and butt protection rules.

Ask questions by all means but I wouldnot hold my breath . Pushing is likely to expose the hidden self.

Aw shucks, thats just an interpretation from a pleb in the soup.

The CEO according to his biography comes from very regulated areas of aviation that give you no room to make your own operational decisions. They have been all worked out for you. Most of the aircraft he has flown tell you how to do it. other than a bit of Aerobatic flying it seems that this is his limit when it comes to sport and rereational flying. No lightweight experience, no hang gliding or glider experience. no skydiving. No hands on repair work or design.ect ect just airline and military plus a bunch of commitees. i think that our types of aviating frightens him and that this is his reaction to it.

Ozzie

Hi Pete,

As you have pointed out, this is just your interpretation of the man and the way he may be looking at handling the position he holds,but unless we continue to ask questions and listen to what he has to say, because if we don't what chance do we ever have of convincing him [for example as you have quoted him as saying about the Jabiru and the glider] that maybe it is safe for those sort of activities and it can be handled in a professional way by the RAA and its pilots.

We need your questions,and there would be nothing better for us to be able to relate to John McCormick on the night that out of 200 people attending most are RAA pilots which will show how keen we really are.

We are not the Press Club but as they do, they listen and ask questions,this is our opportunity to do just that.

Jennifer

Opportunity.

This is an opportunity, but there is no harm in knowing where the man comes from. To get across recreational/sport aviation will take time, and his lack of experience in that area will make it hard for us, I feel.

Ozzie I think you have hit the nail on the head. In the Airline management area, everything is specified, Everything is done as a standard operating procedure, SOP's Everything is in the manuals. Operating outside them is not even slightly alluded to It scares management. Individuality is not tolerated.

Our new man is noted for his quick decisions. In some areas this is called DECISIVENESS. Lack of it is seen as procrastinating. I hope he takes the time to try and understand what we are, and that our record is in reality, quite good. Australia was looking good compared to the rest of the world, Now I really don't know where we are. Nev

In some areas this is called DECISIVENESS.

This is my concern - I had a colleague who was a RAAF psychologist and he observed that military pilots have trouble engaging with people because their job requires them to make instant decisions (I see a problem, I HAVE to make a decision and I HAVE to make it NOW) without any fancy consultation $hit.

The snap CASA decision on GAAP is a good example of this process - to my mind there was no real urgency in making changes, but CASA seemed to be panicked into making a decision for the sake of being decisive. And that decision may well have unforseen safety consequences, which consultation might have avoided.

It's a fine line between decisiveness and procrastination - but methinks we may have gone too far to the snap decision end - we can see that in the RAAus decisions, instead of letting the change process run (albeit at snail's pace) CASA decided to be decisive and kill the process (ironically in the process ending up not being decisive at all, by just saying let's defer the decision).

'Tis a worry, I reckon ....

Why is CASA .... well CASA?

Your post GraemeK begs the immediate question - "Why have these decisions been deferred?" This dinner will give me (and other aviators) the chance to ask these questions of the man at the top, rather than read the espousal from vivid imaginations of those who appear to have far greater experience and depth of knowledge of aviation, CASA and its employees than most others.

If there is one thing I have learnt from 40+ years of aviating...

1. CASA has always been the burial ground for the ex-military and airline manager types.

2. Most (unfortunately) have never had to earn their income the hard way in the reality of the commercial aviation world that is GA and RAAus.

3. When you're surrounded by turkeys you think and behave like a turkey.

We are all entitled to our opinions one way or the other, BUT (and to return to why I started this thread) this dinner is an opportunity for grass roots aviators to ask why the decisions have been made. We can hopefully hear the facts behind the decisions then we will all be in a better position to make educated comment.

I personally wish to know what the future direction will be. Do we run the risk of loosing our autonomy under the current regime in charge at CASA? Or perhaps we are jumping to conclusions that have no real basis other than "the rumour mill" - but at least I'll know the truth and can make informed judgements.

Once again I urge all who can make the dinner to come along... and if you can't I will try and post answers to these and other questions on this forum. Then maybe we will all be better educated by fact and not fiction.

At best we will be aware of what uphill battles we will have and be in a better position to fight those battles. Throwing darts doesn't win a battle when the big guns are needed.

Yep, I reckon it's a tough gig, and as I said a fine line. So I don't envy him his job.

And perhaps, to effect change, you need to over-correct at first, to send a message to the organisation that things have changed and we can't defer things forever.

The dinner will be a terrific opportunity to understand these issues, right from the top.

Gday Jennifer,

Sounds like a fantastic event. I hope to make it depending on where the boss tells me to fly that week. I really hope that people will not let emotion get in the way of what is a great opportunity to air their grievances and get timely responses. In the past when I have attended these types of things, emotion really can hamper what will no doubt some intense and interesting debating.

If I can't make it, some questions I would like to see answered:

1. Whilst I understand the rationale behind the denial of CTA priviliges, will CASA ever give the RAA clear, measurable and achievable goals in order to allow RAA the opportunity in the future?

2. Further to that, if it is all competency based (On the Day VFR Syllabus) why can we not just get a Cert IV Training and assessor and export the competencies to RAA (for CERTIFIED A/C)?

3. With the advent of advanced endorsements for RAA members, is there an impending requirement from CASA for endorsement training to be conducted in accordance with current GA practice?

Thanks GAC, hope it all goes well!

Hi Dave82

Thanks for the questions,particulary question one which is something I would like to know myself at least then we would know what we need to achieve as far as CASA is concerned for them to look at us in a more favourable manner when it comes to CTA endorsements etc.

Hope you can make it to the dinner so you can hear the answers for yourself.

Jennifer

i have just returned from Rutherford had a chat with the CFI there who i have not seen for a few years.talking about this and that, the future of the airport with all the development going on at a great rate all around the field.and of course the subject of the new CEO popped up. Tony has already attended a "Safe Skies" conferenceand what he had to say was not all that surprising. Seems that when he asked the CEO face to face about the ammendments that the RAAus have been seeking the reply was a flat NO to all. with the added 'from the weeds they (ultralights) came, to the weeds they will return'. The questions i wish to be asked on my behalf is:

Is the CEO acting on a personal agenda of restricting the growth of RAAus aircraft and sport aviation in general or is he operating on an agenda put forward by the Australian Govenment.

What exactly has brought on this heavy handed approach.

And if he intends to withdraw any privilages that we now currenty enjoy..

Interesting that the CEO is being referred to as 'THE SKULL'

I'll be writing to my local MP and to the appropriate Minister this week asking for them to put this man on a leash. i think that the rest of you should do the same before he gets to out of control.

Ozzie

Whips and spurs for the CEO?

Ozzie...

You're obvious dislike for the CEO is very apparent and I have to assume your attitude comes from having personal contact at some previous period in time during your career as an aviator. I hope and pray your attitude to him does not stem from the often embedded Australian attitude of "knocking them big guys off their bloody perch"!

To date I am unaware of any privileges or changes he has made (or taken away) from those that we as RAAus aviators enjoy. Admittedly he has deferred some decisions it would appear, but this dinner will be the chance to ask why he has deferred any decisions, if indeed he has made any decisions as yet in respect of RAAus.

I will pack my whips and spurs for the evening and ask him if he made the comment about returning RAAus to the place from whence it came... and if he has made those comments I will gladly rent out my whips and spurs to all those who choose to attend the dinner... and I'll lock the doors first! However I do not believe whips and spurs are the correct way to educate him on the wonderful ways of RAAus.

Is the CEO acting on a personal agenda of restricting the growth of RAAus aircraft and sport aviation in general or is he operating on an agenda put forward by the Australian Govenment.

I think the answer is probably neither. I think it is based on his perception of risk.

But like you I am very concerned at the new direction CASA is taking. It is seemingly becoming more risk averse while somewhat paradoxically increasing risk with some of its decisions (eg the GAAP changes which come with their own risks and which in any case Airservices will struggle to resource within the time frame).

I am also puzzled by the new "decisiveness". The 103 changes have been stuck in the bureaucracy for a long time now without anything happening. So I applaud the new CEO for acting to bring the stalemate to an end - except he hasn't. I would have thought an outright "NO" to the CTA proposals would have been an honest (and arguably appropriate) response. Instead we end up with no decision masquerading as a decision - we're too busy, bugger off for a year or so. If you don't intend to give us CTA access, then tell us, and we can move on and make our own decisions re aircraft and PPL etc. But don't leave it hanging.

Same with the weight issue - CASA says they can see no reason against the weight increase, but again defer the decision. Lots of us are making decisions on new planes - don't leave it hanging!

So I'm really confused. On the surface we have a new (and welcome) decisiveness. Scratch the surface and it seems to be same old same old.

I'd really love to be at Gympie, because it seems there is a real opportunity for a positive exchange without emotions getting in the way. But I can't be there, so I have two questions.

My really broad brush policy question would be along the lines of how CASA sees recreational aviation developing into the future - long term do we see a split along the lines of recreational vs commercial (so that the recreational component of GA is eventually absorbed into a recreational framework - thus we can either go for a private licence for recreational flying or a commercial licence for GA) or do we perpetuate the current system based on the aircraft we fly?

My other question (and it relates to the weight debate) is how CASA is going to handle the ageing GA fleet. This is a huge issue, with lots of old GA planes rotting out in the fields of our aerodromes. In one sense, I'd hate to see these C150 (and other) hulks on the RA register so I think the new CEO has actually made the right decision! BUT, CASA seems impotent in dealing with this issue.

Just my 2c!