RAA bush aircraft

Guest watto

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bitza

Hey Major this would be of interest to you. came across this the other day.

wings are lazair without the upturned tips each wing weighs 55lb can handle +5 -3 minimum

what is the airframe? kitfox? weight saving? be interesting to see the performance figures for this.

Ozzie

1257974169_lazairwings.jpg.ebee5e509bff4ad96c9bbfc57f692b64.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Mmmmmm....interesting, bet it would be nice to fly, wouldn't mind trying it on, wonder if it would float like the Lazair ?.........

Guest Maj Millard

Pioneer, Thanks for that, I enjoyed the approaches into Queenstown, both on the numbers. I have to go too Google Earth and have a look at the go-around escape routes !.............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

:thumb_up:www.avskills.com[/url] 2 Kiwi blokes who are into flight training including bush piloting skills using a 180 hp Piper Pacer on BIG tyres, looks fun!!!!!:thumb_up:

Hi Pioneer, we are going pass their place next easter- we are doing the warbirdsover wanaka 17 day self drive tour. I will go and check them out. thank you for putting up their web address, i was hoping to come across someone who specializes in bush flying.

Guest Pioneer200

thats ok Dazza 38, where does your drive start from?, you should be doing a flying tour!!!!!:thumb_up::thumb_up: Have you been to South Island before?? amazing scenery and smooth flying usually at that time of year

Hi pioneer, we land in christchurch, then we head north first, then come down the west coast, stay at wanaka for the airshow, then head further south to milford sound via queens town etc. Yes i been to the south island before, wanaka airshow in 1998,spend 10 days traveling around. The hardest thing was driveing the camper van and keeping my eyes on the road, i mean around ever corner, it was wow check out the scenery. It was fantastic, a bid cold though ha, ha. i am looking forward to going back their.Going to try a do a scenic flight over milford sound. cheers

• 5 months later...
Guest watto

Well blokes, just a quick note to the advice received from this post, I have ordered a Bushcaddy R120 several months back and it is in the box and about to leave Canada so now I am considering engines, as I have a Jab 230 I was considering sticking with that 3300 for the Bushcaddy but the petrol head in me is saying pop the Jab 8 cylinder in it and it will be almost a verticle take off machine. not decided yet but am sure looking forward to getting a start on the kit.

Guest ozzie

Be carefull with your selection of engine's power and size.

i know a guy who built a Storch who thought bigger was best.

He decided on a 3300 Jab where it would have performed more than adequate with the smaller 2200. the extra weight affected the overall handleing and being aircooled it was harder to keep cool at it's slow and very high angle climb outs. it continually suffered cyl head problems.

the Bushcaddy flys pretty slow and you will be climbing out for longer. 80hp rotax?

Just my thoughts

ozzie

Guest basscheffers

Does any aircraft actually use the 8 cylinder Jab? I hear about some experiments, with the issue being cooling of the rear cylinders.

Looks like a nice aircraft, one to remember for when I am ready for a bush plane!

I'd stick in a 912ULS any day. (and twice on days over tiger country)

Guest Howard Hughes
there are clips of the Hornet doing water/riverbed landings. Worth a look.

Great videos!:thumb_up:

Watto, I've flown John Birrels Bushcaddy and it flys well, as you probably know he runs a Suby in his. For what it's worth I'd pass on the 3300 as the thrust on draggy A/C is restricted by the prop diameter, Reduction drive units will give you more flexibility with props

Guest Cloudsuck
Watto, I've flown John Birrels Bushcaddy and it flys well, as you probably know he runs a Suby in his. For what it's worth I'd pass on the 3300 as the thrust on draggy A/C is restricted by the prop diameter, Reduction drive units will give you more flexibility with props

This is the same problem that John McKeown is having with his 3300 Jab powered Bushcaddy in Queensland.

• 2 months later...

i was just reading the stats on the Hornet STOl, i recon the Savannah will be the same if not better STOL aircraft. well the Savvy will land shorter. ive managed to get my landing down to about 100 mtrs.