RAA bush aircraft

Guest watto

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dazza 38, yes I remember that incident, and holy shix when the seatbelts tightened up they knew something had happened !!. I'm glad to hear that the event didn't turn her off flying completely.JG3, yes those big 6.00 x 8s are pretty versitile at the right pressure. They are the same as used on the Storch and they last pretty well also. And put a set of full lexan doors on the Savvy, totally different experience. And John, love ya storys. Next time I'm by Kilkoy, I'll drop in for sure.

Hello MAJ, Carolyn, was very determined, she did very well. I dont think i would have strapped by backside into a aircraft the next day and do a flight test. PS- Before skyfox owners out their get their back up about it, and think i am bagging their a/c. Im not. 55-757 had ALOT of airframe time on it. It was hangared on the Coast. Caloundra. The Factory used to put fish oil or something similar as a corrosion preventative in their tubing. As far as i know, the tubing corroded from the inside out. From personal inspection Since 55-757 had a few minor landing acidents over the years with tubing replaced.Weather the new tubing that was replaced had, had corrosion prevention carried out, i do not know. I dont think the factory or the repairers are directly to blame. It is just one of those things. CHEERS

I purchased it online from O/S. Just let Google do the walking.

Hi Cloudsuck, just purchased the DvD,s you mentioned from bentprop productions (via PAYPAL). I let Google to the walking, as you said.They reckon 2-3 weeks before i receive them. CAN'T WAIT. CHEERS

Guest Cloudsuck
Hi Cloudsuck, just purchased the DvD,s you mentioned from bentprop productions (via PAYPAL). I let Google to the walking, as you said.They reckon 2-3 weeks before i receive them. CAN'T WAIT. CHEERS

Careful Daz, it will make you want to strap on a Cub ;)

Guest Maj Millard

dazza 38, I reckon because of that incident, Gazelles and Foxes are probabily safer aircraft these days, with the wing-strut carry-thru mod tube...............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I was thinking today at work, what would be my perfect trip/dream. (i have added extra's for people with a similar dream).This is how it goes. Have a good night sleep. Wake up well before dawn, push my bush plane out of the hangar. Using a torch, do my preflight in the dark. Load the aircraft, with camping gear, check, survival gear, check, toilet paper CHECK (tally ho papers can be used in an emergency, ,but not recommended). fishing rod. Strap (wife,boyfriend, husband, mistress, lover, dog(please insert your own, from the above list.) . Taxi out just after first light. Take off into perfect weather, you know those days were the air is smooth like glass. Travel to that perfect river and land beside the river (no problem with those bush tires). Set up camp and fish for trout and just relax with your companion. What a lovely trip that would be, i reckon. I reckon that Savage cub is looking better by the minute. CHEERs

Guest Cloudsuck
Dazza, your dream is remarkably similar to mine. I did add the Super Sports Cub.Dream on!

SUPER Sport Cub

Similar to my dream too JR only mine is in Alaska. The Super Sports Cub is sex on wings as far as bush planes go. I have a few hours in the Aviat Husky (Below). It was great, 180hp constant speed, 105 kt cruise and all the benefits of a super cub but with a slower approach speed for great short field work. I almost purchased it off my mate but the sale got away on me 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif I loved that plane.

1062543050.jpg.20bad95bfd1df54c86f19fcb630efff1.jpg

Dazza, your dream is remarkably similar to mine. I did add the Super Sports Cub.Dream on!

SUPER Sport Cub

I love that aircraft, but avgas, in these parts are hard to come by, unless, you are current GA, and fly to Cooly or Archerfield. If i had one im sure if i asked him, Cloudsuck would, fly it to Archerfied and fuel it up for me. Ps- I like Rotax's though, because they are quiet and dont bother the neigbours adjoining boonah airfield. I forgot i could always go to toowoomba. (it would be hard to find a river with trout in Qld Ha Ha, maybe Tassy ?). I just edited this, it didnt sound right.I hate when i type something, and rush and not read it properly, i go back and re-read it, its sounds totally different to what i mean. Sorry

Similar to my dream too JR only mine is in Alaska. The Super Sports Cub is sex on wings as far as bush planes go. I have a few hours in the Aviat Husky (Below). It was great, 180hp constant speed, 105 kt cruise and all the benefits of a super cub but with a slower approach speed for great short field work. I almost purchased it off my mate but the sale got away on me 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif I loved that plane.

Goodevening Cloudsuck, what do you reckon about the MAULE'S, The one on the video teaser (although modified, punching out i think, about 420 hp ), would be nice . So many aircraft, so little money, Whats nexts week lotto numbers?

Guest Cloudsuck
Goodevening Cloudsuck, what do you reckon about the MAULE'S, The one on the video teaser (although modified, punching out i think, about 420 hp ), would be nice . So many aircraft, so little money, Whats nexts week lotto numbers?

Yep . . . nice but I've never flown one daz. I think that this thread just goes to prove that every pilot has a bit of longing to be a bush pilot.

Yep . . . nice but I've never flown one daz. I think that this thread just goes to prove that every pilot has a bit of longing to be a bush pilot.

Yes mate i agree, their are airline pilots, that get bored, their are GA pilots that get bored. Even ultralight pilots that get bored.There is something that, bush pilots do that make you feel alive, i mean they push the envelope. They fly their planes, like people ride their dirt bikes,etc. on the edge. It is so exciting. I hope one day, if i was at fifty percent, of their skill level. i would be happy. We are dead for a long time. We have to fit in and learn as much as we can before that happens.

Guest Cloudsuck
CloudsuckHere is one to whet your appetite and keep your dream alive 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Cubcrafters.com - Sales - N874CC

PS the husky comes from a great stable of aircraft.

Lovely! and a good price as well. MUA I used to fly was a 95 model and had 350 hrs since new on it. It sold for 135K to a school in Bathurst. There is one at Archerfirld with tundra tyres on it.

SUPER Sport Cub

Hi JR, i was just looking (drooling)at the super sports cub, at 180hp, (limited to take off/climb, 80 hp cruise). It would have to be the most powerful engine/aircraft to fit into the LSA category i guess. TBO 2400 hrs (nice). Its a pity it is $164 000 US. I better keep saving my penies. The S2, i think is around $119 000 US. FOR GENERAL INTEREST_I have seen on the web, were you can do specific bush flying training in the states. Unfortunately you have to use your own aircraft. Because of Insurance reasons . Maybe Sth Island of New Zealand being closer to home might have something similar? Does anybody know of anyone doing this type of training?

Guest Maj Millard

The Supercub has long been a classic, and is your 'lots of power' in a relativly lightweight package,IE: rag and tube. However it is GA with associated high costs come maintenance, and refueling time. I reckon we have gone beyond the Supercub with some of our current offerings IE: Savage Cub, Savannah VG on big wheels,100hp Lightwing with flaps etc etc. As capable as the particular aircraft is, it also requires a pilot who has developed the skills to fly the aircraft properly into, and out of, those supertight spots. Also if you have a look at the Rans S7 site aircraft gallery, you'll find that the S7 Courier is also getting very popular in the US boonies, with some also on floats. And then there's the Bushcaddy................................................

I couldnt help my self ordered them too!!!So whos got the cub? Im up for a ride!!! ;-)

Hello drizzt1978, bruce vickers has a savage cub at lethbidge Air Park. If that helps you. (information sourced from Aust flying Sep/Oct magazine). Cheers.Ps- I got a nice email from themaule guy ,(for ordering the dvd,s, i guess you would have also, It was a generic email, but still it was nice to receive.

Guest drizzt1978
Hello drizzt1978, bruce vickers has a savage cub at lethbidge Air Park. If that helps you. (information sourced from Aust flying Sep/Oct magazine). Cheers.Ps- I got a nice email from themaule guy ,(for ordering the dvd,s, i guess you would have also, It was a generic email, but still it was nice to receive.

Im off to Canada and USA in 9 weeks, so i will keep my eyes open for a flight in a bush plane!! I get the email too, from Miss Maule, i directed them to this thread so he could witness the joys of globilisation/internet....

:big_grin:

ps i think lethbridge is a hike from Toorradin i_dunno

Im off to Canada and USA in 9 weeks, so i will keep my eyes open for a flight in a bush plane!! I get the email too, from Miss Maule, i directed them to this thread so he could witness the joys of globilisation/internet....:big_grin:

ps i think lethbridge is a hike from Toorradin i_dunno

I also directed them them to this thread also. HAVE A GOOD TIME IN THE STATES. PPS-I think boonah might be be a little bit further. i reckon, i hope you HAVE HAVE A GREAT TIME over their IN THE STATES

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, i received my DVD,s from the USA yesterday. So far i have watched big rocks and long props volume 1 and Idaho Back country . All i can say is they are fantasic, very educational. Ps- just to add to the above discussion in regards to brakes being applied or not when hydroplanning on top of the water, the author says (i quote - their is no need to apply (lock) brakes as it makes it more complicated when transioning from water to ground.) He doesnt lock his brakes . Cheers