Stratomaster Voyager versus Dynon d-180 for Jabiru 230D

Tigerfish

Trying to decide whether to go with the new panel 6 from jabiru factory, i.e. with Dynon D 180 or follow my heart and go with the Stratomaster Voyager.

Has anyone got any comments and in particular photos with either avionics installed in their jabiru 230D? Would love to have a look at them.032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

I have a Dynon 180 in a 230, mounted in the large Jabiru panel, but with components located to my own design.

There are numerous photos shown in the thread titles J230 @ YSWG ............. and I love the Dynon unit, with no issues after almost 2 years of operation.

Hope this helps.

I have Dynon D180 in J200, small panel

It has Autopilot built in! Fitting servos currently

Dynon has a new range out shortly which look better, very flexible setup, able to add equipment as budget allows

Idiot lights are hooked to separate senders and still work if Dynon ever dies

I would use Garmin or other radio and transponder if I did it again

Watch the large panel for knee room if you are tall - I dont fit with them.

JR

2050055590_J200panel.jpg.c0d34cc3177412b43c91b2e2e5cf6259.jpg

Watch the large panel for knee room if you are tall - I dont fit with them.

JR

I lifted the large panel up so that you can't see any of the area below the windscreen as is visible in your photo, and it fits great with me @ 6' 3". Plenty of knee room.

I cannot understand why Jabiru mount their panels so low.

Regards Geoff

yeah, and they offer pedal extensions and extra seat cushions too, must be a lot of short pilots out there

How about pedals which move fwd to use legroom availiable? Mine are spaced 50mm from the firewall on full detent.

JR

I have just been through the same decision process and found it difficult to get all the ducks lined up.

I eventually decided on the Voyager after going through the whole gamut from fully steam driven on up. My main reasons where:

- Greater capability. The Voyager hasall the flight information and engine information along with built in GPS with all the nav capability, moving maps and the rest, the Dynon can't do this.

- Greater flexibility. You can fine tune the Voyager to do what you want and provide the displays you want. AFAIK not easily done with a Dynon.

- Ease of installation. The RDAC unit for the engine instrumentation means that all the theromocouple wires and so forth don't have to be led to the back of the panel.

- Cheaper. By my calculation the Voyager ends up costing less for equivalent capability. Of course, if you already have a GPS etc then that calculation changes.

You do end up with all your electronic eggs in one basket but not much of it is essential, IMHO you should have steam driven backup for anything you consider essential for immediate safety. In my case this means a compass and an ASI. If you frequent controlled airspace then an altimeter may be added to that list or the readout on your transponder may provide sufficient backup. For navigation if in unfamiliar areas then some paper maps are on the list.

That's my two bobs worth, I've laid out the shekels and its half installed but I haven't got the plane flying yet so I don't have the practical experience.

Not sure on cost yet but new Dynon Skyview sounds very similar to Voyager

Also has Autopilot, GPS, pilot view and top down terrain and other stuff too can display all on one and set the thing how you want. Some brief info onthier website.

Voyager sounds nice too, both seem to be on the same track

Certainly adds to awareness and safety having controlable alarms and more info availiable in a concise way

JR

Not sure on cost yet but new Dynon Skyview sounds very similar to VoyagerAlso has Autopilot, GPS, pilot view and top down terrain and other stuff too can display all on one and set the thing how you want. Some brief info onthier website.

Voyager sounds nice too, both seem to be on the same track

Certainly adds to awareness and safety having controlable alarms and more info availiable in a concise way

JR

I agree, on the limited information available, the new Dynon seems similar to the Voyager, if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then MGL should feel flattered I guess. As far as I know, availability and price for the Dynon is still "indicative" so it is still in never never land.