Flying with doors removed

Guest Perro

Guest Maj Millard

Just did a ferry in a Savvy VG and was told by the seller not to do it...not sure why though, also not to open them in flight..............................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 years later...

I did it at local flight low speed and was not any problem at the control of aircraft. To cruise with doors out will be hard because of noise and air that is all over in cabin. In general was nice and funny but not for long. It is helpful if your Co pilot like to take some nice pictures....019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

Some ultralights use an instrument static port inside the cabin or fuselage and flying doors off can affect the ASI readings.

If you have a proper wing mounted pitot / static set-up you are OK, if not just check ASI readings with and without doors before you perform a "firm" landing.

Seeing your photos, very high AOA flight can give false ASI readings due to positioning error, i.e the pitot is not pointing directly into the airflow.

It's my understanding that intended flying with doors removed or open has to be approved for the particular aircraft model. You can get some horrendous "pulsing" effects and it's quite conceivable that control could be affected by airflow pattern changes. Nev

Any system using the interior as a static source will have error whether the doors are there or not. Might even be better with doors removed but you should know. Most planes with normal air leakage run the interior below ambient pressure in flight. Nev