Hks

Robmus

Hi

I am running one in a Savannah Bingo

I am having a good run out of it

uses between 8 to 11 ltrs/hr premium unleaded

there is a HKS engine group in yahoo groups

I wish HSK would bring out a 4 cyl version of the engine

I have been using an HKS engine for the last 10 months in my own design single seat high wing tractor aircraft . It now has approximately 60 hours on the clock and is proving very satisfactory indeed. Gearbox ratio is 2.58 to one and the prop is a Brolga 68 inch three blade.The engine starts extremely well however there is more vibration and resonance than would be experienced with a Rotax 582 or 503. This however is less noticeable at higher RPM and it is very smooth at fast cruise ...5600 to 5800 rpm. There are quite a few low resonance RPM ranges as you change the throttle setting making it easy to select a good cruise RPM for any desired speed. Fuel consumption is excellent and in my aircraft at 60 kn it uses six and a half litres per hour and 9 1/2 at 80 kn. Almost no oil consumption. it is an engine that I have confidence in! I estimate the aircraft performs 10 to 15% better than it would with a 503.

Robert. Yes I have balanced the carburettors fairly accurately. actually my engine idles very well and fairly smoothly, but vibrates more in the 2000 to 3500 rpm range. When I get the time and the inclination I may fit an exhaust gas sensor and attempt to tune the carburettors individually for a better result. In the meantime it is very satisfactory and I am enjoying flying my little machine greatly.

Are you sure that there is not a prop balance problem at certain rev ranges? I am glad to see that there appears to be no bad stories of the HKS. I think I may get one to replace my 582.

Twin cylinder 4-stroke, so one pulse per rev. Of course it's a bit rough at slow speed.

Smooths out at speed tho, eh. Real good engine. Not quite the peak power of a 582, but better torque curve at cruise revs.

JG