Hope to be making Brisbane home...

rtfm

Hi guys,

I'm currently living, working, designing a single seat aircraft and building it in Auckland. However, it looks very likely that my wife and I will be moving to Aussie early in the new year, and Brisbane is currently the spot we're aiming at.

I am a regular contributor on the homebuiltairplanes.com forum, where I post under the pseudonym of rtfm (as I am doing here).

I'd like to introduce myself, and ask for any advice you can offer regarding where to live in Brisbane which is relatively close to an airfield where I might get a hangar to continue building my aircraft in?

Regards,

Duncan

welcome RTFM. I also go to that site but seldom contribute, under the same name there. As far as I can see the best part of Brisbane for anything would be as far away as possible. Joking. Try the North side which has easier access to Caboolture and also Redcliffe. I am sure there are several Brisbane residents who post here.

Hi Duncan,

I live on the northside and it takes about 40 minutes to get to Caboolture. Hangar space may be a bit of a problem close to Brisbane.

BTW I think I know what RTFM means. I used to install telephone systems and required company assistance. They replied RTFM! Asking for clarification on that, they replied "Read the Fujitsu Manual" 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Cheers

Bob

Although Brisbane might be better than some of the other capital cities, its not all rosy. There are always hangerage wanted ads up at Caboolture - I believe Caloundra is worse. Best bet is probably to try Kilcoy or maybe Watts Bridge

John

PS I meant better in the sense of recreational airfields close to the city

Hi, and thanks guys. Yep - you got the pseudonym OK - but I prefer the politically correct (and apposite) Read the Flight Manual... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

So - I should be looking for something to to the North of Brisbane? Any suburbs which might be nicer than others? When we first moved to Auckland about 15 years ago we had no idea where to live. We asked the locals and they were vague and non-commital. So we ended up renting in the first area which seemed OK. Not the best choice, as it turns out. Now, if people ask me where to live, I find out if they have any special requirements, and give them a very clear answer.

So what about Brisbane? Obviously, I'd prefer something not too far from a local airfield. A farm strip would also be OK. Or a private field of some sort. I'd be looking for a shed to house the plane in - and that's about it.

Somewhere close to the motorway would be helpful, I guess, because I'd be working in the city.

Any suggestions?

Duncan

Guest Baphomet

Brisbane is a large city of over 2 mil and is the largest urban area in the southern hemisphere. Where are you going to work? (may not be relevant, after all you're a kiwi - only joking) I live in the sleepy suburb of Ferny Grove on the northside, and it takes me an hour to get to the field where my aircraft is hangered (near Gatton).

Hi,

I'll be working in the CBD, I believe. My wife hopes to find a position at one of the Universities. From what I've gathered so far, the northside is very nice. Thanks for the feedback - I'll go online and take a look at Ferny Grove (and Gatton airfield).

Cheers,

Duncan

Guest Baphomet

If you will be working in the CBD and need to commute daily (as I do), then give serious consideration to suburbs serviced by rail.

Hi RTFM,

If your looking at brisbane, the western suburbs (north or south) will put you closer to airfields like Kilcoy, Watts Bridge, Gatton and Boonah.

We're building a hanger/chalet at Watts Bridge, and will be renting space when it is finished. Like the other fields it is about an hours drive from Brisbane's western suburbs. The chalet will be set-up so any one renting space will be able to stay there for weekends etc.

Watts Bridge Memorial Airfield - Welcome

Bob Dennis

Thanks for the help, guys

Hi,

Thank you for your help so far. I've been poring over the Brisbane map trying to identify the places you've mentioned. I rather like the look of Caboolture - especially with the airfield so close and only 45 mins on the train into Brisbane. Property looks relatively cheap, and not too far from the Sunshine Coast.

I've also made contact with Steve Bell at the RAA, and he was most encouraging. Seems that it is possibly even less hassle building one's own design in Aussie than it is here.

Now all I need is for that job to come through...

Regards,

Duncan

There's a north side/south side divide in Brisbane. Both have good areas. Being near the water (on north or south) is good, Moreton Bay is enormous.

It depends what you are looking for - public transport, schools, proximity to the city etc. The south side is closer to the Gold Coast, the north side is closer to the Sunshine Coast, there's plenty to do north or south.

Archerfield is the main GA field. It's expensive. Hangarage is expensive, landing fees are expensive, there's not much transport around, its windy. But it has a lovely terminal good for pax, good long runways.

Caboolture airport has a wonderful feel about the place, a club atmosphere. But the field is quite rough. All grass and bumpy, gravel, and there are some unusual operations going on there, it can be a free for all. It's near the highway, good access to the city - but it is a fair way.

Redcliffe has a good sealed strip, it's a nice field. A good aero club. But hangarage is rare (and expensive) and it suffers from crosswinds. It's slightly closer to Brisbane than Caboolture.

Apart from that you'll have to go to the smaller places, like Watts Bridge, Boonah, Jacobs Well (Heck Field). Do some Googling, you'll find websites with info. Be warned some of the smaller strips don't have avgas, OK if you use Mogas I guess.

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the background info

Hi, and thanks for the info. Coming in from outside is always difficult - because one has little or no frame of reference. The picture is starting to take shape, however. I can't wait to actually get there, hire a car, and spend a few days driving around to see for myself.

Again - thank you all for your help.

Regards,

Duncan

Caboolture airport has a wonderful feel about the place, a club atmosphere. But the field is quite rough. All grass and bumpy, gravel, and there are some unusual operations going on there, it can be a free for all. It's near the highway, good access to the city - but it is a fair way.

I know YCAB has GA, warbirds, vintage, helicoptors, gyroplanes, ultralights, trikes, aerochutes, gliders (self launch & aerotow), formation flying and parachuting. I've got to ask though - which are the unusual operations ? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Crezzi my particular favourites are things like using runway 12 and 30 at the same time, people calling "ready immediate departure" on the cross strip when someone has just called rolling on the main strip, helicopters hovering right next to the landing threshold, dodging flocks of Ibis on downwind (as they fly over the tip next door) and dodging eagles on take off.

Crezzi my particular favourites are things like using runway 12 and 30 at the same time, people calling "ready immediate departure" on the cross strip when someone has just called rolling on the main strip, helicopters hovering right next to the landing threshold, dodging flocks of Ibis on downwind (as they fly over the tip next door) and dodging eagles on take off.

Don't forget the Roo's late afternoon.

Never a dull moment !

Cheers

John

PS the Roo's are there early morning as well but its mostly just the trikers flying at that time

• 3 weeks later...

New home now possibly Sydney?

Hi there,

Thanks for all your help with regards airfields in the Brisbane area. I was warming very much to living in Caboolture - the proximity of the airfield was very tempting, plus the fact that the town is on the Brisbane commuter line. I thought the decision had been made, and it was all over bar the actual moving.

However, a job has come up in Sydney, and so my attention needs to shift down there. So I need to ask again:

1. What are "nice" areas to live in Sydney?

2. Where are the airfields?

Thanks guys,

Duncan

My wife isn't happy...

Hi,

When I told my wife I'd applied for a job in Sydney, she blew a fuse. I nearly had to sleep on the couch. Apparently she shares your opinion about Sydney. She was full of, "Sydney? Why Sydney. I DO NOT want to retire in that place. Why not Perth? Or Darwin? Maybe there's a job in Coober Pedy..." - and things like that. I got the distinct impression that she had been happier...

So, having consulted with She Who Is To Be Obeyed - I might have to reconsider Sydney.

...and all I really want to do is to carry on building my plane in an airfield not too far from where I lay my head...

Cheers,

Duncan

So, having consulted with She Who Is To Be Obeyed - I might have to reconsider Sydney.

...and all I really want to do is to carry on building my plane in an airfield not too far from where I lay my head...

Cheers,

Duncan

Living in Sydney I can tell you that I won't be retiring here either, in fact I might altogether give NSW the flick 'cause it's such a Nanny State that every time someone complains about someone else doing something they make a new law = erosion of freedoms in a Police state in the end.091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Sydney has only one Recreational airport in the South-West extremity, if you could call it part of Sydney:baldy:, whereas Melbourne and Brisbane have several each:thumb_up:. I stay here for the job and Relo's though my other half has her eyes on Brissy.

Cheers,

Glen