Wedderburn accident

Guest ozzie

Sunrise reported this morning of an accident at Wedderburn. The pilot stated he could not make it back to the strip after power failure and crashed into the trees, he was uninjured, aircraft was a 19 rego low wing with double struts green and white.

Guest Maj Millard

Gee not too much damage, might even be repairable. Must have been a fun ride through the trees. What type engine.....what made it stop......fuel exhaustion ?.........enquiring minds want to know !............................

Guest Maj Millard

Yes I agree it did look like a nice VP 2. Wether he 'dipped the nose up or down' doesn't matter, he obviously 'flew the aircraft' No1, and 'navigated' No2. Even though he didn't make the strip, he's done a real good job of carrying out a 'controlled crash' IE: keeping control of the aircraft, with resulting nil injuries to himself. I say from this vantage point..'Well done !'.

I once had to land in a pine forrest under a square parachute after a mis-spot. There's not really a lot you can do until 20 ft above the trees, where you just try and pick one that looks a bit friendly !!....................................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

This is the NewsFlash from the SAC president........

Dear SAC member

This message is to clarify the details of an incident that occurred at the airstrip on Monday evening.

Our member, Fayez Abbas, experienced an engine failure in his Volksplane VP2 on final approach. The aircraft landed in the trees 50 metres short of the airfield boundary.

Fayez emerged almost totally unhurt. He has a sore finger. The aircraft is extensively damaged. One wing is severely damaged, and the severity of the damage to the remainder of the aircraft is, as yet, unassessed.

Four police cars, a fire engine and an ambulance attended the scene. Fayez went to hospital for precautionary examination, and was released shortly afterwards.

David Rittie

Thanks for the update Doug. I agree with Maj - he did a great job arriving at the scene of the crash still under control. The temptation to keep lifting the nose must have been overwhelming.

When I approached on Sunday, I deliberately came in high until I was sure I would make the strip no matter what, then side-slipped it's little heart out (no flaps). I thought I must have arrived too fast, because it kept floating. After landing I looked back to see that there's quite a downward slope on 35. That'll do it.

I hope the plane and the finger are repaired soon.

Ross

Guest ledsled

Emergency checks

In relation to the volksplane accident at Wedderburn. It appears that the pilot may have inadvertantly knocked off the ignition switch causing the engine to fail. Unfortunately this was not picked up by the pilot in his emergency checks. The engine had just been fully inspected and given a tick. Reinforces the importance of doing your checks.IF TIME PERMITS.

Gday Ledsled

I have noticed several a/c with unguarded Mag switches. In the three recent instances, the switches were right where they could get knocked OFF in the normal course of using maps etc in flight. It might be worth doing a bit of an education campaign about it.

Cheeers, Qwerty

• 2 weeks later...

Great job, an engine failure anywhere at wedderburn would be nasty. Don't know how both mags could be knocked off, but as they say XXXX happens.

Checks??. short final with a dead engine?? at wedderburn, i doubt it.. You would only have seconds to choose a nice soft looking tree, any distraction at that altitude and position would be deadly. If he's doing an FCMOST check he wouldn't have had time to get to the "switches" anyway.

cheers

Guest Maj Millard

Being Volksy powered he may have only had one Ign switch, if he was running a distributor ?.

We had a similiar occurance up here years ago, also in a VP2, and it also ended in a deadstick landing. I have flown with a single ing switch, and you generally are aware that it is important....should be garded for sure IMOP..........................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest ledsled

Yes, I believe that it was a single ignition. Also there may have been plenty of time to kick in a freewheeling engine. Always fly the plane first and IF TIME PERMITS do the checks. Apparently the pilot was unaware that it would restart as its normally propped.From a third party.

I dip my lid on the landing...seems to have been controlled as far as possible into the crash.

As for the comment on the stupid location of important switches I can only agree that lack of thought is quite common. On my Rotax 914 the turbo switch is located so the knee can hit it and turn it off while you get in. Having 80hp instead of 115hp on take off can get your attention quickly...now in red on check list!