What Theory Books Do You Use?

Wangaratta

I've used three ....

The Aviation Theory Centre (ATC) books suited me best from a learning experience - there's quite a range from aircraft general knowledge to BAK to navigation, meteorology etc. Sometimes they are a bit heavy going, but it depends on your own learning style. Certainly the most comprehensive IMO.

A lot of people like the Bob Tait books - they're written in a much more user-friendly style, with a bit of humour thrown in. You'll pick up some gems of information in the Bob Tait series you won't find in ATC.

Best for RA though is the Dyson-Holland one specifically written for RA - so that's the one if you want to be sure of passing the exams without having to wade though masses of detail. I reckon an essential item for preparing for exams because it's tailored to our syllabus.

I have just spoken to David who writes the ATC books and he advised that he has just included a section in the latest release BAK on RAAus training.

He also wants to write a dedicated RAAus syllabus BAK and I will work with him to make this happen. I will submit the concept to the RAAus and try and get their involvement as well but if not I think this site and all you people can assist as also down the track in terms of comments and feedback

I was told to buy the ATC student pilot kit which I reckon is quite good although has stacks of detail at times which can occasionally get a little confusing.

I've also managed to borrow the Bob Tait BAK from a nice guy in Canberra :big_grin: which allows me to use both and get things explained a different way. I probably wouldn't recommend this route if you couldn't get one set free/cheaply because otherwise it's awfully expensive...

I've heard good things about the Dyson-Holland books but haven't tried those myself because I intend to do the GA BAK so I'm not sure how much help they'd be for me. I have heard they're good though :)

The one catch I found with the D-H books is that the suggested learning sequence doesn't quite match the exam sequence. The RAA pre-solo exam included areas that I'd never seen before. As it turned out, those areas were covered later in the book, so read ahead! Apart from that, they seemed ok to me, though I can't compare them with the other texts.

p.s. I still passed the pre-solo easily, so something must have been going right. Gave me a bit of a fright for a few minutes though...

D/H books are great!

I've got/used -

Jim Davis's "PPL" book (very easy reading)

ATC books, (good information, but very tricky to follow)

Des Rycroft books, (very simply laid out, and good to get an idea on the basics, but probably not in depth enough for later on - focuses mainly on Low performance high drag aircraft)

And the Dyson Holland ones, (very well explained an easy enough to follow, also does include a very good amount compared to other RAA books)

Gomer: The pre-solo exam has a little bit made up by the CFI of your school, so could be a little different in some area's. (I'm pretty sure that is what happens anyway)

I started off with the ATC books when they really were by Trevor Thom. The really, really, really old BAK book is very good if you can find one. It presents things in a way similar to the GA syllabus. The new ATC one has different information, still good.

I found the ATC Flying Training Manual very helpful as it covered all the air sequences (for GA).

For further information down the track Mechanics of Flight is good.

Some more general stuff on the art of flying:

A very good read is "Stick & Rudder" by Langewiesche - written in the forties but still relevant today.

On the net - See How it Flies is a terrific book on the theory and practice of flight (although sometimes a bit heavy going).

Another one off the net - Fly Better has some good stuff, although better when you've got a few hours under your belt.

Plus the US FAA has some great manuals here - although not all applicable in Oz. The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge is a pretty comprehensive manual, as is the Airplane Flying Handbook.

You can also download the Flight Instructor Manual from the CASA website which talks about common student problems and things...I find it useful to have a look at after I've read the bit in the Flying Training Manual just to get a bit more info

Stick and Rudder looks good but is $60 in the bookshops, so I've asked for it for Christmas instead 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Stick and Rudder looks good but is $60 in the bookshops, so I've asked for it for Christmas instead 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I bought mine from Europe for about $18.... Poor Aus!:ah_oh:

I have just spoken to David who writes the ATC books and he advised that he has just included a section in the latest release BAK on RAAus training.He also wants to write a dedicated RAAus syllabus BAK and I will work with him to make this happen. I will submit the concept to the RAAus and try and get their involvement as well but if not I think this site and all you people can assist as also down the track in terms of comments and feedback

Hullo Ian

I think you would be crossing the line in trying to involve RAAus in what is a private commercial venture. RAAus has published a syllabus for would be authors to follow and that must be the limit of its involvement.

When ever RAAus starts picking favourites to support, it heads down that slippery slope of poor business ethics. It could be justly accused of nepotism by competing text authors and suppliers.

You would need to resign your post with RAAus, but even then, surely your desire to add yet another text to the marketplace does not mean that RAAus should use scarce resources to help you.

Please don't view my comments here as an attack. I just don't want you to get into sticky mud.

Regards Fred

You are right Nong, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. What I was thinking was there may be an opportunity for the RAAus to have its own approved training manual just like how the EAA publish their own manuals - someone would have to write it and the RAAus sell it so proceeds of publications like this and potentially others can assist in offsetting membership costs - that was the intent