Sapphire training underway

mechfx

2 hrs of supervised ground runs today, I'm exhausted.

the first time the tail lifted I thought I was going over ! but got used to it after a while. I've been told it will feel like it flies low in the nose compared to a Jab anyway.

I have booked a lesson in a Lightwing taildragger tomorrow so am looking forward to another adventure.

Anyone have any recommendations when trying a new type for the first time ?

cheers,

Art

CIMG0443.jpg.0675d5f0f90424793f9cceff7b027f10.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Take as long as you like on runway work. Finally when you feel ready, use the power to fly it, and as soon as it breaks ground, reduce power, to just fly a couple of feet above the runway. This is all assuming you are on a long runway of course. It sounds like you were pretty close to flying anyway. With enough speed going over it, the wing will find flying position, and that's probabily why the nose went down.

Unless you are doing a heap of knots, it's probabily not going to do much damage if the nose does touch the ground.

Richard Faint was the man to talk to in regards flying Saphires, last I heard of him he was in the Watts bridge/Tagoolawah area.

Sounds like a good idea to get some Lightwing taildragger time ...good luck..............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi Art, it sound as though you don't have any tail wheel experience. If so, is it legal to fly your Saphire, even under instruction from the ground? I was under the impression one had to have a tail-wheel endorsement, even to fly a single seat aircraft.

Hi Art, it sound as though you don't have any tail wheel experience. If so, is it legal to fly your Saphire, even under instruction from the ground? I was under the impression one had to have a tail-wheel endorsement, even to fly a single seat aircraft.

Thats my understanding too, hence the Lightwing lessons and the "supervised ground runs". I'm definitely not leaving the ground until legal and comfortable with my knowledge level , I hope the forum can be a good source of shared info before I take to the air. Any experience you'd like to pass on ???? Cheers, Art

Not really. I started to do my tail dragger convertion in a Crafters SportCub but had to give it away due to lack of finances. Taxying was hard to get right on windy days, toe brakes were totally new to me but flying and landing were a breeze, especially when balloon tyres were fitted. So soft I didn't realize I was on the ground until the tail wheel touched down.

I think one major problem you're going to face is the different height to flare when comparing the Lightwing to the Sapphire. You might need a loong runway to accomodate the float, assuming of coarse, you don't stall it. Good luck any way.

Guest Maj Millard

Come over the fence at the 'correct speed', not a knot more !. Level off a foot or two above the runway with the tail slightly low...then with stick and power back , hold off, hold off, hold off...when it's done it'll land. DO NOT try and force it on with foward stick, that's the easiest way to get into bounce mode. If you do get into bounce mode, it could get worse, so be prepared to power on at the appropiate time, and go around, or further down the runway for another shot. Do not allow the airspeed to bleed off whilst parked five feet above the runway. At two feet you'll land, at six feet you'll do some damage. Concentrate on full 3 point arrivals at this point, do not try and be a hero and attempt 'wheelers' yet. Remember correct arrival speed is the secret !...Don't be afraid, it's not that difficult, just another skill to master........024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

thanks everyone thats exactly the sort of info I was hoping for.

My Sapphire is one of the early ones , so no flaps and semi open cockpit. The motor (377) is in the upright position so is inducing a bit of drag. I'm hoping it wont want to float too much.

A lot to learn....

cheers

Art

• 1 month later...

Managed another hour in the Lightwing on the weekend after 3 weeks of dodgy weather, things starting to fall into shape now, sight picture making sense, heel brakes not so weird anymore.

Even managed a controlled downwind taxi and a "greaser" landing , I hope thats a good thing.

Actually enjoyed the challenge and looking forward to the next episode.

Flying is great isn't it ?

Art

While the Sapphire is probably easier to land than a Lightwing, you need to be aware of the very light controls in the Sapphire, and the possibility of over-controlling.

If it's a stock Sapphire, hold the controls gently, but NEVER let go of the stick.

An anti-servo trim system is a good mod for a Sapphire.

Arthur.

• 1 month later...

The tailplane is mounted very close to the ground and you're at the other end. Easily damaged against obstacles if you forget.

Saphires are sometimes divergent in pitch.....mildly pitch unstable. No big deal, slow divergence, but P500,s advice to keep a relaxed hand on the stick is good.

The flat efficient glide means that you will be lower for a given distance from your touch down point than you might be used to. Look out for obstructions!

Take plenty of juice so that you can go around as often as necessary without worrying about your fuel state.

Take note of the pilot weight limits....you may need ballast or a crash diet.

Relax and take your time. Let the plane do the work. Enjoy!

Nong

thanks everyone for the help so far.

I have decided to postpone my transition to the Sapphire for a while. No rush .

Will stick to the Jab and Lightwing for my flying fun until I get a few more hours in the log book .

Keep the advice coming though if you can. every little bit helps.

Art