Dogs in aeroplanes

kaz3g

Hi All

Its great to see some of my fellow flyers take their dogs with them when they aviate. My Kelpie, Mandie, has travelled a long way with me.

Mandy has a permit to fly issued by CASA under subreg 256A(1)(B) of the CAR and it cost me $165. It is a continuing permit; there is no expiry or renewal date. This avoids me being prosecuted which would be very embarassing (I'm a lawyer).

She has a harness which is secured to the rear seat belt and she has mutt muffs to help protect her sensitive hearing from the noise of an 0-320 in a rag and tube fuse. She sits on a canvas backed absorbent pad but has never needed this added protection from wayward body fluids. I carry spare water for her as well as me and I erect a sunscreen for her when the weather is warmer.

I can't say she really likes flying but I do know she hates being left behind. 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

kaz

• Like 1

$165 to take your dog. What a rip off. does this include a 'doggy factors' course? How about an ASIC card for them?

In the day before ASIC cards there was a dog that spent his days around Ansett's freight terminal with an Ansett ID card swinging from his collar

I've seen these vids before but in the first one I've never noticed what the guy on the right (pilot presumably) does with his eyes. I watched it over and over just now and I can't work out whats going on with him......weird.

The other vid is just poor piloting. Why woudl you ignore a Pax feeling like that, the guy's a turd.

I didnt mention it but i totaly agree with RKW and qwerty.It looks like boyfriends up the front and girlfriends in the back(big assumption i know).Anyway i hope she droped him like a hot potatoe.She will probably be put off flying for ever.

PS- in the other video-i wish the dog sh$% on the bloke, went floating on the roof. unfortunatly it didnt happen. Yours sincerely DOG LOVER

I know its just a bit of fun, but have we considerd the safety issues in both vids?.

I know im an oga when it comes to this sort of thing, but in both videos there was no thought given to securing loose articles. The vid with the poor girl, if you look in the back ground there's a pile of crap that rises out of the baggage space. And there's a lot of it!!!. The dog, while i agree its pretty funny, but what if he made it forward into the cockpit??.. he was no small dog, and if there was a huge dog in my lap i know id have difficulty controlling the plane..what do you reckon??

lecture over..:peepwall:

Don't appologize Motzart, you are right, wot if the poor little bugger got wound up by the weightless bit you would never control him, particularly in the front.

Anyhow, animals are supposed to be restrained so its just plain illegal. The guys are just twats.

Dogs and the CAR's

Hi Kaz....hows the Auster going.I didn't realize you needed a permit, I thought all you had to do was adequately restrain the animal so as not to become a risk to control of the AC?

David.

Hi David

It's all made clear here:

256A Carriage of animals

(1) Subject to subregulation (8), the operator of an aircraft may permit a live animal to be in the aircraft only if:

(a) the animal is in a container and is carried in accordance with this regulation; or

(b) the animal is carried with the written permission of CASA and in accordance with any conditions specified in the permission.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

(1A) An offence against subregulation (1) is an offence of strict liability.

Yes, it does seem pretty steep but it's much better than being caught without it and receiving the penalty and a conviction. I can't afford an ASIC for the dog but no-one ever asks for it anyway...

I've only been asked for mine on one occasion - at Alice Springs - and the MAN said nothing about Mandy at all. He gave me a hard time, though. I guess 65 yo female terrorists complete with dog commonly drive 65 yo rag and tube aeroplanes full of explosives into the civic infrastructure there?

I know a lot of people are carrying their working dogs and/or pets with them, especially in rural and remote areas but a number of these are unrestrained and the fear is they become missiles in the event of a sudden stop. Permit or not, a good harness is a great safety asset.

kaz

Hi BlackRod

On my reading of the reg this is technically correct. I guess there are practicalities for larger dogs as the container size would prevent it being placed inside the aircraft. If you are into cats or little dogs a container would be fine.

I didn't quote the whole regulation and anyone seriously considering the issue should refer to the CAR's and seek appropriate legal advice as necessary.

kaz

Out of curiosity, if the baggage compartment was closed (ie: stuff couldn't float from the baggage hold to the cabin), would that count as a container? Obviously you'd make it comfortable for the dog, and make doubly sure the door couldn't come open in flight, and make sure there was adequate ventilation. But would that comply? You could have a dog compartment and a baggage compartment haha.

This is a story about animals in light aircraft that I heard long ago:

The fella went flying with his favorite dog, unrestrained in the back seat, as he had done many times before. Little did he realize that his cat had crawled into the aircraft and hid under the seat..... At altitude the cat panicked and started scrambling around the cockpit, ripping it's claws into everything, including him..... So he slowed the aircraft and opened the door. The cat leaped out the door, just as the dog went for the cat, so both disappeared out the door.... That's the last he saw of his pets, until a couple of days later the cat came home, hungry and limping.....

So the story goes.....

JG