Where to get aircraft tools?

Goodaye all

Where's the best place to purchase aircraft tools?

Preferably in Melbourne, good prices with good quility.

They will be for a metal skined kit, l already have a garage full of automotive tools but need some specality aircraft stuff.

regards Bruce

Just tell me what you need Bruce and I will see what alternatives there are through Clear Prop as the shop has access to over 10,000 different products.

I have just been through the process of buying tools to build my sonex kit. I ordered some tools from Wicks along with hardware and had them placed in the box by the guys at sonex to save shipping. At the time I went through the list of tools and only ordered a small amount as I was 'sure' i'd be able to get the rest of the tools in Australia.....

After much frustration I took the advice of some other builders and just ordered the rest of the tools from the US. I found Averey in Texas had good prices, they had some great specials over christmas. I asked for the most economical shipping as I knew I was having a break over christmas. The shipping was pretty cheap and with the dollar doing ok it wasnt a big deal. Just make sure they dont use UPS priority internatinal or something like sonex just did to me on an order of some polish and a DVD...cost more to ship than the big bunch of tools I ordered from Avery:angry:

I tried to buy a few things through distributors here and they where just taking the XXXX. Items would be near double the price of Aircraft Spruce in the US and then they wanted to still charge me $10 in shipping! One item I was in a hurry for was a scotchbrite wheel. I sourced one through Blackwoods for AU$150.... I just bought a second one through Avery for US$80. Clecos where another classic where the local supplier was AU$1.50 each while Averey where 65 US cents. You'll need a couple of hundred so it adds up. This was an item I could at least source here. I also found some suppliers with flash websites who would not reply to emails.

The other mistake I made was thinking I could get by without certain tools. After a while I figured that it would lead to mistakes and a less enjoyable build. Given that the sonex will cost $50k+ to get in the air I figured why skimp a couple of hundred dollars? A few items that I had trouble with from memory where:

edge marking blocks

rivet spacing tool

drills in 30, 40 etc (6 inch and 12 inch as well)

speed deburing tools (for holes)

This is just my experience, good luck in your preperations.

Ian, a starting point maybe the tool lists for the sonex, RV12 and Zenith kits. There would be a fair few common tools that are not expensive but you cannot get in Australia, and shipping would cost as much as the item.

Thanks for the advice, l have bought in heaps of car parts for projects over the years so know some of the tricks of shipping.

If possible l would like to shop here BUT l dont want waste money paying too much.

Looks like l will be purchasing a RV8 kit, just trying to sought out shipping and weather l get a fast build wing.

Saw there is a tool kit available for it, but l would have some tools here from a few car restorations.

regards Bruce

I know what you mean Vorticity,

I've been sourcing some items locally here in Perth and the prices do seem very expensive in comparison to prices on the web from places such as Wicks. Ian says that Clear Prop is an agent for Wicks so I've asked him for a price on some new wheels for the Thruster. It would be good to use Clear Prop and I intend doing that at every opportunity although its a bit hard if you don't know what Clear Prop can provide, and a bit unwieldy in application as well. Anyway, looking forward to Ian's communique re prices, availability and time to supply.

Pud

This interests me greatly as I am buying an RV4 kit. Havn't started on the tools yet but Vans has some for sale. Clecos at US$0.38, 6"dia 1" wide scotchbrite wheel US$55.0. It looks as if I will have to add to the order to get tools in the box with the kit.

I personally think you are far better to get what you can in the kit as the biggest problem with getting anything from the US is the shipping costs...they are the real killer so if they are included in the kit the shipping impact is very minimal if anything - Clear Prop can get Clecos from the US cheap as well but they are heavy so the freight costs an arm and a leg.

Use Australia or should I say Clear Prop for anything that you may have left out or forgotten about down the track

• 1 month later...

Could you please tell us which method of shipping you ended up using from the US. I got some stuff from AC Spruce the other day USPS priority, and it was very expensive. If anyone would like to sell a set of rivet squeezers please let me know.

Thanks, Peter

I know what you mean Vorticity,I've been sourcing some items locally here in Perth and the prices do seem very expensive in comparison to prices on the web from places such as Wicks. Ian says that Clear Prop is an agent for Wicks so I've asked him for a price on some new wheels for the Thruster. It would be good to use Clear Prop and I intend doing that at every opportunity although its a bit hard if you don't know what Clear Prop can provide, and a bit unwieldy in application as well. Anyway, looking forward to Ian's communique re prices, availability and time to supply.

Pud

G'day Guys,

Ian (through Clear Prop) supplied the wheels and brake kits sourced from Wicks in the US. By the time I purchased tyres and tubes locally the cost came out at $198 each. The price I had from a local supplier at Jandakot (5 minutes away) was $220 each so a saving of $44 for a set of 2. I guess its a moot point (although every saving helps) whether it is worth it or not (given the convenience of the local supplier) although I enjoy using Clear Prop if I can. Thanks for the service Ian.

Pud