January 2007

Admin

OK the competition to win the next three editions of Australian Flying magazine for absolutly FREE has opened for January so start posting any of your pictures or stories in this thread - got to be in it to win it so GOOD LUCK! :).

Oh, also don't forget a Caption for your image and just say if you also have another copy of the image that is:

• jpg format

• at least 300 dpi (dots per inch) at a useable size (say 6" x 4" or around 16 x 10 cms)

• and if to be considered as a cover pic - in vertical format

• aircraft(s) identified in caption

So if you win your picture could go into Australian Flying.

Get those pictures in now and show us all what you've got!!!

how was it taken

Parked out the front of the hangar, then fed through PhotoShop (or similar)025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Fairly well done, remember to remove ALL traces of the prop shadow, but guage just how big it is first to add the right size blur. ;)

Don't forget, even a turning prop will create a (blurred) shadow when photographed. :;)2:

I like the Zoomed background effect. :)

Arthur.

Oops - Watch out for the Trees on your way to lessons?

This is not my photo - I got it from Zulu1 earlier, however, it seemed rather amusing? Funny Caption - Base Turn should be undertaken a little higher and oh, watch out for the trees?

attachment.php?attachmentid=765&stc=1&d=1168730840

pic17405.jpg.4303827a07989d7cef83d8ff962a9f65.jpg

Parked out the front of the hangar, then fed through PhotoShop (or similar)025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gifFairly well done, remember to remove ALL traces of the prop shadow, but guage just how big it is first to add the right size blur. ;)

Don't forget, even a turning prop will create a (blurred) shadow when photographed. :;)2:

I like the Zoomed background effect. :)

Arthur.

Well done, Gary. The attention to detail with the background is excellent.

The only other things that gives it away as not being a non composite pic and recent is just under the cowel.... the lack of a prop blade.. and the GREEN grass..

Now, if ever you want to do the shot for real, lemme know!!! ;)

Ben

Sky Gods...

Snaped this shot with an old Minolta Dimage 7i digital camera last evening of the McNaugh Comet...

Was somewhat surprised of its size and would have to say (if my memory is right :;)4: ) this would be the second largest comet I've seen.

The biggest comet I've seen was way back around the late 60's which was quite a sight as a group of mates and myself drove down to Bathurst for the bike races... in a converted ambulance vehicle - still with paint job and lights! (illegal though 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif but a lot of fun...).

Cheers team,

Rodger

1355307078_McNaughtsCometfromBrisbane.thumb.jpg.e14699c4d3df127a9e43ab67024f52f1.jpg

Guest Fred Bear

Not really flying related more weather but one I snapped outside of our place last week. Sunrise over downtown St Marys.

Thanks to the handful of people who entered the January Photo competition.

The winner this month is being chosen more for his great timing, luck and initiative than for any great shakes in the photography department! Hearty congratulations to Rodger Henry, of Brisbane, for the shot of the McNaugh Comet - you did well to be in the right place at the right time. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I for one have never seen a comet live so you've captured a rare event.

Hope you enjoy your complimentary copies of Australian Flying, Rodger. Make sure you send me your postal address.

Cheers

I can be lucky...

Many thanks to Australian Flying for their support with this forum ;)

With the Comet photo I was quite lucky in capturing the image as the camera I used, my old 1997 model Minolta DiMage 7i, appears to have died at the end of the Comet shoot. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif .

I shot a number of images using various time exposures and upon viewing them on the computer I notice what appeared to be a smuge appearing in part of the image. The unusual part was as I viewed the images in their time sequence I noted the 'smuge' was becoming darker and larger... Hmmm? I first thought I'd somehow marked the lens filter but upon checking both the filter and lens in detail, no mark or spot, etc could be found. :;)2:

I shot off another series of images and checked them only to find the 'smuge' now a very dark and solid spot covering about a 1cm area on a 10 x 15 paper photo. It would appear the camera's imaging sensor has had a failure of part of it's pixel imaging pick-up and as the sensors imaging unit is a sealed I'd say that's about the end of the old digital Minolta camera. I paid around $2500 for back then and it was one of the first digitals with the 5 megapixel sensor back then.

Not a bad run really as I've possible shot off some many thousands of images and I do mean thousands as I was a one stage shooting some 200/400 images every week-end for a soccer events plus my flying activities and other projects.

The old Minolta was a good unit and it is nice to see the camera go out in a 'blaze of glory'...

Pip..! Pip..! keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Rog