Original Drifter

Guest ozzie

That looks very much like one that headed straight for me when I was coming downwind in Las Vegas - looked like a guy sitting on a pole.

He missed us by about 100 metres, gave a wave, and everyone was happy.

Someone started a thread on the OSH365 forum called 'back to the future' what old original would you like to see back in production?

The single seaat drifter was one popular response and it seems that others including the twin engined 'hummingbird' are being built again.

Guest Maj Millard

That is actually one of the first Drifters so to speak, but No 2 in the development line of the original Maxair Drifter. The Drifter got it's conventional looking tail in 1984. I still have the ad in 'Glider Rider' advertising the 'new' Drifter. Prior to that Phil Lockwood produced the 'Hummer'..very similiar to your Photo Ozzie but with an upright V tail, different wing tips and a cantilevered type main undercarrage......an interesting shot...............................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

It looks like a ballistic chute to me, hence pointed down and back which is OK. That one may still have the pointed wingtips from the previous Hummer...hard to tell for sure. A lot of the early Hummers, and no doubt some of the early 'Drifters" only had Rotax 337 or 447s on them, plus other engines, as thats what was around back then. Seem to recall most were hanging...the one in the photo also appears to lack the upper king-post brace, which became a mandatory feature later on Drifters....any more photos Ozzie ?.................................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 8 months later...

Thanks Ozzie,missed this one also,looks like I don`t check the Drifter section offten or well enough.

It was a while ago,had the pod off to do some servicing,couldn`t resist it so I took it up,wasn`t much difference other than the breeze.

Frank.