Recreational Flying Avalon Air Show position

Admin

Hi All

I am not exactly happy where they have decided to put us at Avalon but I don't think there is anything I can do about it now. They were going to put us next to the expo buildings where the catering is in the attached map as they were going to move it but now they are going to leave it there.

It is going to cost me probably about $4,000 all up and I am hoping that shop sales on the site will go a long way towards covering the cost - even $3,000 would be great especially with the exposure that our web site will get as I will have a PC there with the web site on it but what do you think?

It will give us a central point for everyone to meet each other and have a chat. I have done a deal with one of my bigger suppliers of the shop items to be there with a lot of their products for me to sell plus many specials.

Have a look at the map and I would welcome any comments that you may have urgently as I have to decide within 24hrs.

Avalon.thumb.JPG.c9e59d01b4890e263f361abe1cb091d0.JPG

Ian

I think that location is on the way over to where the RAA and GFA were last show. There is a glider shown on the plan but is the RAA over there again this time?

If so, the "Recreational" pilots or the public who are interested in the RAA would most likely be heading that way. Is that how you see it?

It would be nice if we could all now develop a plan where your $4000 isn't at risk if the weather is a shocker for the week. I wonder if there are many here who would be prepared to assist by perhaps underwriting this initiative by asignation in advance for say $20 or 50 or $100 in the event of the weather being prohibitive.

Regards Geoff

Well said Geoff.

If crowds are going to be heading that way then it would be worth going ahead, but I was also concerned about your out-of-pocket exposure Ian.

There should be limits to your financial dedication to this site, after all - you have a family to support now (I mean the CT, but I guess there are people too).

I know you have said the forum members should never have to pay, but this would be a voluntary donation.

I'm in.

I'd be also willing to donate funds or my own time, Ian you have done a top job for the forum already, I am sure many members feel the same and will help in anyway they can, even if it's to come and say G'day.

Guest AusDarren

I think you'd probably do best with a display of the shop products, And perhaps a couple of appropriate Recreational Aircraft, and a big sign with the web address on it.

Regards,

AusDarren

Thanks Guys, the appreciation that you have all shown for this site overwhelms me which is what spurs me on in making this site the best source of recreational flying information for all - thank you!!!

Now, I have found out that the RA-Aus is going to be over on that side somewhere as well so it is looking good.

As for the financial side as always I will not accept any donations etc (the offer is really appreciated though) but any help if you are there and it is busy (wishful thinking?) will be greatly appreciated as I will have a lot of products there including hopefully headsets for students or low flying hour pilots at only $99 (yes and big warranty), Maycom Scanners at $110 (plus batteries if you want to listen to the action on the day), all the Composiclean products, Recreational Flying merchandise like caps, shirts, badges etc plus all the normal Shop products that will be listed in the shop when I re-open it soon, that you can either purchase there or order if it isn't on hand. I will have credit card facilities and off course you can buy and pick up at the end of the day so you are not lumbered with carrying anything around. You can all also use the site as a base to leave any belongings securely instead of also carrying them around with you. So please you can help by telling me anything you want or need say in Feb so I can have it there for you.

Oops, you watch me get moderated now for posting Commercial Advertising ;)

At the moment my hands are pretty tied by being up here in Port Macquarie but that should finish at the end of Jan so I will get stuck into things at the start of Feb.

So anything you buy at Avalon from the store will help offset the site cost and it becomes a win - win situation - imagine how many new forum members we are going to get, swapping stories, helping each other out, new people joining the RA-Aus - definitely worth the cost!

I will have Flag Poles with Rec Flying Flags and my CT there (sorry. the Jab 230 just well...how do I put this...it just....won't seem to look right ;)).

I have to check the site conditions but perhaps we can have a few drinks stored somewhere under the table, coffee (free naturally) - I don't think they will let me have a barby.

The overall objectives of the site will be to:

1. Provide a central place for forum members to meet each other

2. Provide a social environment for all forum members

3. Promote recreational flying - that means both this site and the actual activity of recreational flying

4. Steer potential recreational flying students in the best way to learn flying from our experiences and point them towards the RA-Aus for the business side of things.

5. Have fun

6. Minimise financial risk

Living over west Ian I probably wont be able to afford to get to Avalon this year...as many may not as well - are we able to pick up those items at those prices in the shop here, or are they "show specials" only?

- Chris, there won't be any "Show Specials" - they will be the normal shop prices - I don't think that with the shop's day to day prices on everything being so low anyway we don't need Show Specials - remember what the shop was setup for in the first place ;)

I will have Flag Poles with Rec Flying Flags and my CT there (sorry. the Jab 230 just well...how do I put this...it just....won't seem to look right ;)).

Bahaha - A flock of Riverina J230's will be there at some stage and I am sure the good Captain and I will give you a break on your stand. What we cant be sure of is that your CT will still be there when you return. We may sell it or even give it away:;)2:

I, like everyone else, appreciate the crazy hours you are putting in here. Your genuine approach is certain to ensure long term success!

I'll be in that Roger ..... but we'd better take some spare cash as an incentive to some buyer if you expect to unload that CT quickly.

Ian .... I think you should reconsider my initial suggestion. I wasn't saying that we'll kick the tin if all goes well or the T-shirts are a crappy design and don't sell .... but in exceptional circumstances, such as a total rain-out of the event .... I and it appears a few others who inhabit & benefit from this Forum might like to help out. No harm in that for you or us I reckon.

There are a few of us who have signified that they'll be in it, so if you don't reconsider, we may have you suspended or banned.

Regards Geoff

Guys, working on a new avenue.

I have been told that there are FREE sites being organised for people like organisations etc such as The RA-Aus. Now I believe they may already be all taken up but I am going to try and get in there. The restrictions would be no selling of anything but then I won't need to if it is free and I suppose I won't be able to have the CT there - I suppose that is also better then to see you guys part with your hard earned money in paying someone to take it 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

My only concern would be power, as I was hoping to have a PC there to show people the benefits of the site.

So when looking at this opportunity to the objectives we get:

1. Provide a central place for forum members to meet each other - YES

2. Provide a social environment for all forum members - YES

3. Promote recreational flying - that means both this site and the actual activity of recreational flying - YES (if there is power)

4. Steer potential recreational flying students in the best way to learn flying from our experiences and point them towards the RA-Aus for the business side of things - YES and would be better as the RA-Aus would be in the same spot

5. Have fun - YES

6. Minimise financial risk - NOT NEEDED NOW although for the time we should be able to sell Rec Flying Merchandise

Sounds great. Assuming there is a wifi connection available to the internet, perhaps a laptop or 3 on batteries could demo the site if there is no power.

As one goes flat, power up the next one and take the flat one to a friendly powered tent nearby for a recharge.

You could also advertise the shop quietly and suggest people go there from the comfort of home.

Ross

Thanks Ross

I was thinking of having a "local" version of the site on my PC - I would set it up as a server with MySQL, PHP etc so people can see the benefits although such things as the chat and Google Earth Airstrips would just contain static images.

I have a good laptop but I doubt it would handle that sort of load.

The first thing though is to see if there is any room on the Free site which I won't know about till next week hopefully but in the mean time the paid site has been reserved.

Had a thought and want to get member's opinion. To offset some of the cost and with the mention of "Donations" being made, I will receive about 40 Trade Visitor passes for the trade days (Tue to Fri) of the show which cost $45 each.

Just thinking whether it would be rude of me to offer each one of these to forum members for say a donation ;) - perhaps a "Donation Auction" or something like this.

Then again I could ask for donations, accept the 40 highest donations with a $45 donation ceiling and as a thanks give them a free pass for the trade days ;)

After everything that I have said above just wondering if this would be considered rude and against principles?

just wondering if this would be considered rude and against principles?

Ian

I, for one, have no problem with that and I'll take one please.

It's just being practical and making best use of resources. And after all, selfish users of this Forum, like me, want you liquid and remaining keen to keep this website open and expanding.

Go for it, I reckon.

Hope this helps

Geoff

PS I have a 6.5 kva generator that I can make available if you/we need your/our own power there, but it might make the 230 a little tail heavy during transportation.

Ian - that sounds great and still within the principles of the site. The problem for me is that I won't be able to get to Avalon, but I would still like to help out one way or another.

This site is very valuable to me in my fledgling foray into powered flight.

Geoff, I'm sure someone is going by road from up this way. Wagga is a minor detour. Great offer.

Ross

Thanks Guys, the site has a 10amp power point with it which will power the PC - the biggest problem is going to be to try and convert this large site onto my PC - setting up a full server from scratch isn't something I'm very familiar with.

The site has now been confirmed and invoice received 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif - have to organise all the insurances now as well - will see Glenn Turner on that.

Does anyone know any Flag Makers out there as I need two flags made up?

- setting up a full server from scratch isn't something I'm very familiar with

Ian

I have worked out how to turn the 'puter on and will soon have mastered loading pictures into posts, so am now in need of another challenge.

I could be just the bloke to set up that server for you at Avalon.

Have worked as a waiter when I was at school, Is that similar? ... and would be willing to do the course on the responsible serv(er)ing of alcohol, so the server shouldn't get "full". Would all that help?

Hope you find this to be of assistance.

Regards Geoff

Perhaps one of those wireless access cards like "Wideband" might work? With your obvious IT connections perhaps a reseller could loan you one. You'd need to check the coverage for that area. I was with a Citrix techo recently and he had one of those 3G cards and it was working quite well. Also saw a $200 and $400 generator the other day in the auto shop or alternatively I recently bought a power inverter for the car for $60 at autobarn, it's 100 watts and more than enough power to run the laptop off the 12 volt. Just a couple of ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there is no backing out now - have just paid the $3,610 for the basic site (doesn't include flag poles etc for the site and the printing of leaflets etc as well).

So guys we now have a spot where we can all get together, meet each other and talk turkey - should be good fun.

Oh, and Roger/Geoff - the CT is getting chained down so you can't give it away that easily 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - and if you are really really nice, I might just let you have a little sit in it as well - but don't get your hopes up 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• 2 weeks later...