Airservices Australia - Pilot information nights

Al B

Hi all,

As suggested by some members of this forum, I've just been to a 'Pilot Information Night' run by Airservices Australia - see Airservices Australia - Projects & Services - Industry Forums - Pilot information nights

If you get a chance to go to one of these nights, I highly recommend it. There are some presentations (they try to tailor these to the audience) and tours of the various offices and air traffic control centres.

The most useful part though is just meeting the people behind the microphones and getting a chance to ask all kinds of silly questions about airspace, radio work and ATC. For instance, virtually everyone wanted to ask for a 'plain language' version of NOTAMs and weather. This is supposedly in the works but may be some time away.

I got the impression that ATC are happy for qualified pilots to entry CTA if it'll make the trip a bit safer - one example I asked about was doing the trip from Bribie island to Moreton island. class C begins at 3500 feet but if the engine failed smack bang in the middle, life would be a little interesting. I asked about the possibility of getting a clearance to transit overwater at say 5000 feet and was told no problem, just ask.

I then asked, if we were properly trained, and ATC is happy to help us out with a little extra height over tiger country, why on earth would CASA knock back the controlled airspace endorsement? No-one knew. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

If you get a chance to attend it's well worth it. If you're a little nervous talking on the area frequency it's really great to see some of the faces on the other end.

Cheers,

Al

Sounds interesting, I went to something similar overseas many years ago and as you say it is a help being able to meet the people behind the voice, not to mention getting an appreciation for what they do. I'm going to book and attend one of these.

I got the impression that ATC are happy for qualified pilots to entry CTA if it'll make the trip a bit safer - one example I asked about was doing the trip from Bribie island to Moreton island. class C begins at 3500 feet but if the engine failed smack bang in the middle, life would be a little interesting. I asked about the possibility of getting a clearance to transit overwater at say 5000 feet and was told no problem, just ask.

And this is what it looks like . . . 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Cheers, Glen

Dscf0071.thumb.jpg.02b85e759bd08afe3de511fb73fc85ae.jpg

That is a fantastic idea and I would really like to go to one of these sessions. The more information and understanding of what we are dealing with, the better i say.

On another note, instead of going for an all out restricted airspace endorsement, why shouldn't we consider starting out with a transit restricted allowance to start with, as a trial to any further additions. Perhaps if casa can see our professionalism in this regard to start with, they may feel more confident in allowing RAA to utilise such an endorsement. Apart from adding to safety in regards to transversing tiger country, it is also a 'probation' period for easing RAA into this area.

Thoughts?

Guest basscheffers
class C begins at 3500 feet but if the engine failed smack bang in the middle, life would be a little interesting. I asked about the possibility of getting a clearance to transit overwater at say 5000 feet and was told no problem, just ask.

ATC doesn't know if you have a PPL or not, so if you ask, they will give. But that doesn't make it legal!

I heard something disturbing on the radio the other day. Pilot in CTA doing over water in an RAA aircraft. I am working on the assumption he had a PPL. But he asked for "non-standard 5000", which he got. Now the track he was flying would keep him within 20KM of the shore, but only just and at 5000 feet, there was no way he would make the shore. Why didn't he just ask for 8500 or more? That's perfectly legal for tiger country or, in this case, water.