Side slip?

Tomo

Do you side slip, nose into wind? or stick into wind?

This is a pilot induced side slip, not one created by the crosswind... which would naturally have nose into wind anyway.

Thoughts? reasons?

:big_grin:

Ok, tomo, i will have a crack at it.Your talking about at altitude 2000 ft agl or so, i think? Thats what i will use for my answer. Doesnt matter, where the wind is comming from.Generaly its better to slip to the left, because it gives the pilot better visibilty on the pilots side.If you fly a A/c with left/right Off selection for your fuel tanks.You should always select the top tank, because if feeding from the lower tank, the fuel if low, may move away from tanks outlet pipe .ps- cessna series a/c 100 and 200 series to the best of knowledge, do not permit side slipping with flaps extended.I just threw that in for general knowledge.PS- you should always start a sideslip using rudder only, then feed in opposite aileron to counteract each other. Maybe to much info, oh well. Good thread starter mate, i think their is going to be alot of feed back( or opening a can of worms LOL).CHEERS

( or opening a can of worms LOL).

Thanks Dazza, It doesn't really matter where you do it, could be coming into land, general flying, whatever.

You got to open the can before the worms can get out and do any good. :big_grin:

Crosswind doesn't cause an aircraft to sideslip....it drifts, which is the angle between where its pointed and the line it is flying relative to the ground.

Yes, so it is. I'm gonna have to get it out of my head just because the aircraft is drifting or not parallel with the track its not called a side slip!

or if you really want to wrack your brain, consider the effect of Propwash or Slipstream and how it will decrease/increase the forces on the airframe, or how it will aid holding or coming out of the sideslip with addition/reduction of power when sideslipping both nose- right-stick-left and vice versa..

Yes, so it is. I'm gonna have to get it out of my head just because the aircraft is drifting or not parallel with the track its not called a side slip!

INTERESTING THREAD ..What if you were approaching runway 5 with a 15k xwind @80degs,plane would crab,now apply more right rudder 10degs with wing down approach still steep.Or use 10degs of left rudder to present right side.Which would be best ?...Concider speed over ground to runway5 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

If your crabbing, then the wings should be level.:hittinghead: If your slipping, then aileron into wind, nose straight with opposite rudder. Its horses for courses, but if your crabbing, you will need to kick it straight for the touchdown, and opposite aileron to stop secondary roll. But if your drifting in the flare, then you need to hold the into wind wing down, and keep straight with opposite rudder. So basically, u end up slipping anyway.

Guest Maj Millard

That's pretty much it David, To answer Tomos question if you want to slip to the left with the pilot looking out the left window in the direction of travel, the stick goes into the foward left corner and the right rudder is depressed. To unslip you just release those imputs and your back where you started. Some aircraft don't mind slipping with flap out (Lightwing, Storch, Tecnam, Savannah) in fact the Storch has only one position down, and it's close to 40 deg and they love to slip with flap. I only slip the Lightwing with half flap myself.

You can adjust the airspeed in a full slip by using the elevator, as it still works in the normal way by raising or lowering the nose. Drifters slip fine.

I presume you are talking about on approach here, otherwise I'm not sure why you would need to side slip at height! Assuming there is a wind, as you are asking if you would slip into wind, therefore there would be a crosswind! So I'd do it in the natural sense, stick into wind with opposite rudder.

As for slipping with flap, it depends on the type. Cessnas sure do sideslip, but if the flap is down at the time it can cause damage. Cessnas can sideslip with flap, it's just not good for them, so under normal circumstances don't sideslip a Cessna with flap, but if you are in a forced landing situation and too high, sideslip with flap out if you need to. They can do it, it's just not good for them, but it would be better for them to land at the near end of the field with room to stop, than it would be to avoid sideslipping but land long and run into trees!

Hi all, tomo never said in the question,where the pilot was side slipping, i gave a answer, as if a pilot was practising in the training area. So they would be more confident, to use the procedure, as it is intended, is - losing height of final approach.Cheers

Guest Maj Millard

On approach Mazda, that's where it's handiest. Pilots do make better approaches you know !.............................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif