Ok, something else to read. "Getting ready" for an accident.

flying dog

Hi folks.

This is a bit off topic as it involves a car rather than a plane, but it still is an interesting read.

But I think it is a good example of how habits can help foster good practices.

Disclaimer:

The following is true. Just the names have been changed to protect their privacy.

Most of you would have a licence to drive a car and have a few hours up your sleeve.

Accidents on the road are - regretably - par for the course. It isn't always your fault. Sure, sometimes it is, but anyway....

When driving I make it a habit to scan the dashboard for warnings like low oil - DON'T GO THERE! - engine temp, fuel level, doors, lights speed, etc.

This scan also includes the mirrors - even when driving in one lane with no intention of changing.

So, I am in the right most lane of a three lane road driving home. the traffic is heavy and ahead I see it is stopped.

Foreseeing this, I start to slow down and come to a stop behind the car infront of me. Right foot firmly on the break - automatic cars are a pain in the ..... for me.

Now I shall stress FIRMLY.

I stopped and knew it would be more than a minute before we got moving. There were a lot of cars infront of us and the lights were a good distance ahead as well.

A quick glance in the mirrors and I saw it. OH NO! A big SUV coming towards me at about 40 KPH and there was NO WAY he was going to stop.

NO WAY JOSE!

BANG!

Gee did the car jump. And it nearly sounded like the car hit twice. But that aside, I was pushed up in the air and things went flying.

Luckily for me, I didn't roll foreward and hit the other car in front of me. Glad I had a heavy right foot on the break.

However, what was "good" with this was I saw the incident ABOUT to happen and prepared.

There is an old (and somewhat stupid) saying about Italian drivers not using their mirrors as they don't care about what is behind them. This is only applicable if YOU are the fastest car on the road - and that isn't always a good thing either.

Anyway, I saw it about to happen. Yeah, I've had my share of accidnets but everyone is different, and this kind is not exactly a high frequency of occrance. It IS an eye opener.

First thing:

RELAX! Tensing up and becoming stiff isn't a good thing - so I've been told. It is better to be lose and floppy and NOT resist the impact shock.

Head back against the head rest. Whip lash is not as fun thing to get/have. I didn't want it.

Get ready to exit the vehiicle if things get nasty.

HOPE I don't get trapped. I nearly lifted my legs - so they couldn't get trapped below the seat - but a quick analasis of the situation indicated though he was moving fast, it wasn't fast enough to warrent that, and if I did that, I would have been pushed into the car infront: Further complicating the situation.

Anyway, no one was hurt.

People think that if they can't see it, it can't hurt them. I'm sorry to report that it can, and in ways they may not expect.

Practice a good scan routine and keep your eyes outside and scanning as much as possible.

Sure scan the instruments, but it is what is outside which won't forgive you if you don't see it.

Further more, move your head around. Don't just scan with your eyes.

There are "blind spots" with your heard at "position X". Moving your head moves these blind spots and so anything hiding in them becomes visible.

Why is this important?

Ok, Avoiding the complicated maths here is a quick run down:

If you are moving in a straight line at a fixed speed,and another "object" is on a course which will cross your track at a speed which will "allow" them to miss you, all is good. Their angle to you will change as you both converge. There may only be a small gap by which you both miss, but they will not be constantly at one angle.

IF THEY ARE AT A FIXED SPEED and their speed/track will ultimately have you both collide, then there is a problem: Appart from the obvious.

Their angle from you will remain the same throughout the closing track.

So! If they are in your blind spot, and you in their's, neither of you will see each other until it is TOO LATE.

By simply moving your head around, you eliminate this problem.

Now, by "moving your head" I don't mean you need to sit there nodding like those toy dogs you see in people's cars. Just now and then, move your head left/right/up/down and have another look around where the blind spots exist.

Anyway, that's all for me.

Safe, happy fllying.

I have been in your position. 12 years ago I had litterally just picked up a near new car from the dealership (I hadnt insured it yet :S) and was turning off into the city just after the westgate bridge in melbourne. Anyway the traffic on the off ramp was back almost to the highway and so to turn off it was a matter of going from 100 to 0 in a matter of meters. Inevitablly I had a car come flying up behind me with all brakes fully locked and smoke bellowing - I pull off the road quick smart and drove down the very steep embankment. Needless to say the car that was infront of me got a decent nudge. 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

I think all drivers should start out on a motorcycle... may sound crazy to some of you BUT... It should make you a better driver... It teaches you to keep just the sort of lookout you are talking about... and if you are one of the fools who doesn't... it most likely will remove you from the road before you kill someone with a 2 ton weapon.

I once read that the head of safety at Volvo when asked what in his opinion was the best driver safety aid that could be fitted to a car replied that a large sharpened point in the middle of the steering wheel would be the best... Looking at that 10 inches in front of your face you wouldn't be game to be a blxxdy idiot on the road.

And I might add that the mirrors alone are not an acceptable way to check your six... If you can't turn your head to check the lane beside you (and a lot of older drivers don't appear able/willing) you are not medically fit to drive...

Onya cameron, that's the way to be... couldn't agree more.

Tail gating is what I hate... If I have some hooligan tail gating me, I sometimes (carefully watching) put my foot on the brakes briefly, just to see if they react, do watch though...

I don't mind genuine young people who are hesitant, (ie still learning what's what), but some of the others need a crash or two before anything will seem to fix them up.

I drive the F3 ( the sydney to newcastle freeway) a lot. It is obvious that the RTA do not teach people how to operate on a high speed road. Like FD i have a constant scan going. Along with the tailgaters there are the bunch who can't work out what 'Keep left unless overtaking" means. peckerheads cruising well under the limit in the centre or far right lanes usually texting away or chit chating with the passenger. I've seen three accidents caused by these idiots. In a fast stop as soon as i hit the brakes i hit the hazard lights. same as they do in Italy. This definatly gets peoples attention that you are STOPPING. I hate the way the cops and RTA overwork this speeding thing, a freeway is a high speed enviroment. people need to be taught how to operate in it. and the Govt needs to show some duty of care to ensure that they do. the cops need to get off their butt and show more presence on the roads instead of hiding behind the cameras and radar guns and start enforcing the keep left and mobile phone rules more. i don't speed but i do sit on the limit.

Rules for the freeway. lights on, left lane and brain in gear. and the biggy HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!

Tomo. tail gating is illegal, if theyre caught doing it, which they usually arent, theres a hefty fine... one of the questions in my L's test (still remember it nearly a year ago) was if you are being tailgated, slow down gradually, to a reasonable speed of your choice, if you need to, also use your parker lights, (can appear to be brakes) and this should make them move back. Slowing down is to reduce any impact that could happen... Ive been tailgated including turning a corner, couldnt even see the lights of the 4WD thru the back window, and i slowed down, only to have them overtake on double lines, atleast if they get past you, you are going to be safer.

You're right Cam. I did a defensive driving course after I got my Ps (very highly recommended) and was taught that the best way to get rid of a tailgater is to slow down gradually.

I've been driving for almost 4 years and have had maybe 3 accidents, only one of which was my fault, I guess I must be doing something right! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

You're right Cam. I did a defensive driving course after I got my Ps (very highly recommended) and was taught that the best way to get rid of a tailgater is to slow down gradually.I've been driving for almost 4 years and have had maybe 3 accidents, only one of which was my fault, I guess I must be doing something right! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I hate to be the one to point out that there is no such thing as a car "accident"...

I am not being mean... but 3 crashes in 4 years? I would be doing some serious self evaluation... no matter who you feel is to blame... If you rode a motorcycle you may while be dead.

I hate to be the one to point out that there is no such thing as a car "accident"... I am not being mean... but 3 crashes in 4 years? I would be doing some serious self evaluation... no matter who you feel is to blame... If you rode a motorcycle you may while be dead.

Considering I'm 22 I reckon I'm not exactly doing badly (compared to lots of people my age).

I didn't use the term 'crash' though, at most I'd refer to them as 'bingles'.

'Incidents' I've had:

(1) having someone run into me when I reversing out of a space in a carpark (he was speeding, but both cars were hardly damaged)

(2) having someone pull out in front of me when I was just driving along the road (police have verified I wasn't to blame)

(3) accidentally running a red light (only one that was my fault and only time I've ever gotten a ticket in my life)

And if I ever rode a motorbike, if I didn't die while I was riding it, I'd be dead right after 'cos my parents would murder me 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hi FD, reminds of 1989, i think, similar situation, but i got off with out to much damage, this young bloke,who was tailgating me, he was in a little carrolla, i was in a hilux 4X4, i had one of those rear type steel tube wrap around bars, and towbar, like a little bull bar on the rear, anyway he was, so close, a few klm before, and i touched the brakes, he backed off. Then the traffic stoped to a standstill ahead.I rolled up to stop , saw old mate comming in the mirror, hit the brakes and rear ended me, i kept my foot hard on the brakes so he wouldnt push me into the car in front. All i could see was his bonnet folded back.Now by this stage i was spewing, i got out dragged the little xxxx head out of what was left of his car, actually his brothers car.Then i looked back to my ute, just a little dint, in the bar on the back. he braked so hard that the majority of his car (brothers) went under my ute, his bonnet was folded back because the leading edge of his bonnet hit the rear bar folding it back.Missing virtually everything.I was lucky that day, and so was he, i guess.

Ps- motorbike riding is a good leveller, you learn about situational awareness, or you end up in hospital, or dead.(been riding on the road for 23 years, but not everyday, i have had a few close calls).Cheers

I was taught a great lesson in my mid teens learning to drive trucks on station tracks in the NT..

"Only ever drive as fast as you can see.... If you can't avoid something around the corner your going to fast"

I Now have have over a Million K's up of a mixture of country and city driving but I am yet to damage a car in a accident, other than a cleaning up a couple of roo's and being hit rather hard from behind while stopped at a set of very red lights in a brand spanking new car. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

I do admit to having several very large speeding fines! Speed doesn't kill, A idiot behind the wheel does.

Gibbo

• 2 weeks later...

Re: "I've been driving for almost 4 years and have had maybe 3 accidents"...................bloody hell mate! I've been on the road just short of 50 and yet to have a blameworthy RTC (road traffic crash as there are no "accidents") and that's mainly on motorcycles! I did have one stupid :censored:run up the back of my Merc at the lights a few years ago....But that's the only one... I have always driven/ridden with the motto " drive the car-drive the car-drive the car !" If you're having crashes then you are not paying close enough attention!...."A car pulled out in front of me" is not an excuse for running into the offender. Do that on a bike and see how much it hurts!...Watch the edge of the road, turnings, people's actions INSIDE their tin boxes. I even check when crossing an intersection WITH the green..(saved my life once, that did)....Yes I know what you mean about speeding fines...."Speed kills" What absolute bullXXXX, by that token everyone in Europe should be dead by now.With the limit at 150 in many places..... speed doesn't Kill...........Idiots Kill....inattention Kills....stupid behaviour kills...good luck with the next 45 years!..Geoff

Guest markfnkl

You mention that your foot was firmly on the brake. On the one hand this prevented you from crashing into the car in front of you. On the other, it meant you absorbed more of the force of the impact, since you weren't able to roll with the punch, so to speak.

On the other, it meant you absorbed more of the force of the impact, since you weren't able to roll with the punch, so to speak.

True.

I don't know how it all worked in the bigger picture, but that is how I remember it happening.

Guest markfnkl
010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif Bottom line: you handled the situation ably and escaped injury. I'm just doing a bit of what we in America call "Monday-morning quarterbacking."

Re: "I've been driving for almost 4 years and have had maybe 3 accidents"...................bloody hell mate! I've been on the road just short of 50 and yet to have a blameworthy RTC (road traffic crash as there are no "accidents") and that's mainly on motorcycles! I did have one stupid :censored:run up the back of my Merc at the lights a few years ago....But that's the only one... I have always driven/ridden with the motto " drive the car-drive the car-drive the car !" If you're having crashes then you are not paying close enough attention!...."A car pulled out in front of me" is not an excuse for running into the offender. Do that on a bike and see how much it hurts!...Watch the edge of the road, turnings, people's actions INSIDE their tin boxes. I even check when crossing an intersection WITH the green..(saved my life once, that did)....Yes I know what you mean about speeding fines...."Speed kills" What absolute bullXXXX, by that token everyone in Europe should be dead by now.With the limit at 150 in many places..... speed doesn't Kill...........Idiots Kill....inattention Kills....stupid behaviour kills...good luck with the next 45 years!..Geoff

I agree with Geoffreywh, as per my post 15, that is the only thing that i have been involved in nearly 24 years of driving (not my fault as well)."touch wood".I have also, whilst on the bike, had a dude, run a red light when i had a green, saw him comming, actually it has happened twice, once bike, once car.I used the atitude when riding and driving is- EVERYBODY IS OUT TO GET YOU.It all comes down to having good situational awareness of whats going on around you. Same as flying-cheers:wave: