Losing/Backing up logbooks

The Wolf

Hi guys,

I was wondering about the validity of backing up my logbook. Or more importantly, what happens if i lose it/damage it beyond repair and lose the records within. I was thinking of keeping a spreadsheet on my comp.... Just in case. Would this still be valid? What about the pages that have been signed off? how do i get them into my new one also, if my logbook became damaged would i be allowed to copy the records direct to the new one(as in each entry copied across)?

Another one for you while your warm :big_grin:

Is there any form of "inspections" of logbooks? since your not required to have it on you when you fly, i am a little confused what the legal purpose of it is (apart from proof of your hours) It would only really be used in the event of a crash, wouldn't it?

Cheers,

Stuart

I keep an electronic copy of mine in a spreadsheet, which is backed up along with all my other files each night.

Sometimes I have forgotten to make entries in the spreadsheet, so I've started to take photos of my logbook pages (the logbook lives at the flying school ATM) to cross check - and I'll keep those as well. If I ever lost my logbook the photos will also show the flying school certifications of my hours, so no drama there.

RAAus should have a record of your endorsements (they need it for your certificate).

Hi The wolf, im not sure if this will, help, but when i have completed a BFR, i photo copy that page from my log book and Fax it to RAA, at the same time as faxing, the other stuff, like the form with a signature from a witness who knows u and says that your medicaly fit.At least there is a record up until that time. But having said that, this electronic back up, or online log like darkies,above sounds like a better option.Cheers

I do that also. Wolf, there was another thread here about log books recently that contained a lot of useful comments and would answer all your lupine questions I think.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/general-discussion/63716-treat-your-logbooks-like-gold.html

Yeah, i used the search and that came up, but it didnt quite answer them (or i didnt see the answer) Thanks anyway.

I supose that photocopying would be the best one from what i read. If i photocopy nice enough, i could re-bind the copys, and use that as proof for the "previous logbook" page.

I supose, what i got from all this is DONT LOSE IT 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif it's just too much trouble.

FYI: Nearly finished a program that everyone will be welcome to have. Give me a couple of weeks to put the usual finishing touches on it and find a place to put it online. It will be free for everyone :)

Cheers,

Shags

Hi,

I had the same issue with recovering lost hours from the 1960's, however i had kept the receipts and invoices that stated hours and what was done(instruction or hire or solo). I took them along to a CASA rep: and he sighted the lot signed my new log book I had re-written in all the hours and then photo copied the receipts and used the CASA stamp on the copies. I now keep them in a small fireproof safe($90). I asked about my current log book and he informed me as long as i have some independent documented evidence i would be fine to redo the logbook and get CASA reps to counter sign it.

I asked about computer records but he said i would need additional evidence to confirm the hours, he said a signed statement of instruction hours from my CFI would be acceptable or for solo flights submitted flight plans to CASA,fuel receipts from airport browsers or your bank statements showing the fuel purchasers and aircraft type.

hope this helps you.

Bob.

I should "back up" mine too. I have over 400 hours now and it would be annoying to lose the book.

I nearly "lost" it at Evans head - because of all the rain and me flying a Jab the plane leaked and ALL my paper work got wet. Luckily the log book didn't get too wet.

My "attack" on the problem is this:

Every time I finish a page, I shall photo copy it.

I may take piccies too, as it isn't that difficult and that is a second back up.

Thing is this:

Photocoppies/photos etc are NOT valid really unless signed by a JP or someone like that.

But my thoughts are at the end of the day, you can show someone anything. If you are a new person to them, you will go for a check flight and if you are good pilot, things will be good. If you are not, you can have millions of hours in the book, but you still may not be a good pilot.

I was thinking about this on the weekend.

I spoke to a JP who said one of two options:

Ideally I was going to take a photocpy of each page and he will sign it then I can keep those in a seperate location.

Second though he would do it, wasn't 100% keen until he had seen what was involved., he would sign a computer printout of my hours showing total and confirm that that matches the totals in my logbook (along with endorsements etc.).

I am however going to go out and get a fireproof safe at somepoint.

Hi,

I guess the thought of getting a JP to sign your copies would be good, I have the benefit of being in the Sydney metro area so can get to a CASA rep to sign and stamp them. I have never had a flight training school or an independent aircraft "hirer" back away from accepting the hours as true with the CASA stamp on them, like gold. Even photocopied pages with endorsement on I got signed and anyway my endorsements are on CASA records and with the RAA office for RAA stuff.

If you are not near a CASA office I guess you would have to rely on a JP and true, a test flight would sort out how your skills are to a stranger.

Just as an aside how many of you photocopy your RAA plastic card? What happens if you loose it or your wallet and want to go flying, I have the photo copy on the inside page of my current log book, just in case.

Bob.

Hi Shags,

Yes from memory they were quick to replace mine too but I lost it Friday along with my wallet and was flying Saturday morning, two bits of good luck, one I had flow with the company/school before so i was known to them and i had the photocopy of my RAA card and an ID photo in a laminated pouch in the front of my current logbook.

Bob.

Is it legal to keep 2 logbooks, if both logbooks are identical? I was thinking of getting a "nice" logbook, you know, the kind you can leave "lying around" when people come over, leather bound, lots of pages, nice gold lettering on the front, (oh silly me what is THAT doing on the table... why yes i do fly :spruce_up:) and keeping a second one that comes with me. Then when i get a page signed off i can get both signed at the same time. The signer can see both pages are identical, so i cant see a problem. The only problem would be is that allowed?

Hi The Wolf,

Yes you can, the son of my old flight instructor has duplicate log books but in his duplicate copy he has fixed in a signed statement on the back of the front hard cover to the fact this log book is a duplicate of the original for security/document safety reasons. The only issue is making sure the hours are reasonable close in both and the fact is he never takes both books to get counter signed at any one time(you could loose both).

Anyway off to work now, Bankstown airport here I come, now most of the rain has gone, a great day for aerial photography.

Bob.

Guest basscheffers

I use LogTen Pro, which is a great electronic log. The file is backed up on local disks and online. (it also syncs with my iPhone so I can put flights in using that)

I write the same flying time into my standard log book, that's where CFIs and such can sign in ratings. Don't see that as a backup - it would generally be destroyed in the same fire that gets my electronic one! (the real backup is online...)