Vhf???

country kid

No problems if it's only receiving (eg scanner).

To transmit, you need a Radio Operator Certificate (RAAus) or Flight Radiotelephone Operator Licence (GA). These come with your licence.

Use of the radio itself is governed by a Class Licence issued by ACMA which allows use from a ground-based (mobile) station under certain circumstances.

As previously stated, you cannot transmit(unless licensed in an aircraft, or hold the appropriate ground operators qualifications) from the ground. Scanners.. Dick Smith, Jaycar or ebay for a cheap one . Most scanners cover AM Airband as well as the rest of the "chook sheds"

Cheers

Hi Country Kid,

I think the scanner is definitely the way to go. When you do your radio endorsement you will see that aircraft radios are only for use to communicate necessary information such as your position, clearances from air traffic control etc. When you start flying you will also realize how annoying it can be when the chit chat gets to be too much. So it is hard to see that there will be to much opportunity for you to transmit from your car.

Regards Bill

VHF airband is not CB - you can't just chat away. But I think if you have a pilot's radio certificate then you can communicate from your car to aircraft - if you have a legitimate reason.

Listening in is a good idea to learn the pace and phraseology pilot's use, if you're training. I suppose if you were ground crew in a chase car, or coordinating a temporary landing strip, that'd count as a legit excuse to use airband on the ground (legalities of being an ATC without airservices approval aside). We use airband at work to talk to incoming aircraft for ETA and any defects to report, etc. But like I said: Legit use.

As far as chatting goes: Is there any reason you couldn't use UHF CB? I imagine flying in convoy would mean a fair bit of chatter, and IIRC the regs say that even selcting an unused airband frequency for chatting is frowned upon.

Guest Kevin the Penniless

That scanner would pick up the airbands - 118Mhz to 136Mhz. It's a very hoopy system. I've not come across a scanner that wouldn't (being an ex radio tech I saw a lot of that stuff). What's this about needing a special licence to operate a handheld on the ground?

yeh you do need a license to operate a airband radio from the ground other wise it would be open slather and the talk would be so much so that getting an ETA or clearance would be a hassal the idea of getting a scanner is simply because i spend time on un controled airfeilds and around airfeilds in general for one reason or another i also live near one so its just interesting to know what coming and goinging, and were everything is. purly for interest oh and they pick up police frequencies but thats not important to me.

You need a radio users licensence to use airband ANYWHERE

The Airband radio needs to be approved for ground transmission too.

No idea why

Latest Vertex handhelds arent but old model was certified

You need a license to transmit on airband from the ground for exactly the reason countryboy said. We all know how 'cultured' CB is. How could anyone get anything done in the air if the frequency was choked with those sorts of peoples' chatter? hahaha

Nothing illegal about listening, though.

well thats fair dinkum its probly a good idea but hopefuly it will never get to that point in australia, i mean they band laser pointers because of arrogant youth so if every one could use an airband radio? and yes even getting in at jandokot can be hard during the "peak hour"? i dont think i will try getting an airband radio in my car unless in the near future we have an airstrip built on our property. which probly wont happen, has any one else thought of installing something like this in their car?