I found a plane that is flying on "googlemaps"

flying dog

Ok, probably not such a big thing.

But if you think about it, all the airports, etc, you don't get to see many planes either landing or taking off. Especially the big ones!

But!

While doing some leg work for the trip to Wanaka, I found a SMALL plane flying - and possibily its shadow on the ground too! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Look for Wanaka airport on maps.google, then go slightly south. There is a green-ish field.

Just to the EAST there is an empty/dirt field and further to the EAST are trees.

Look in the dirt field near the top, zoom in a bit. You will see the plane. Flying WEST.

And just near it you will see either its shadow or a funny shaped pond that looks like the plane.

Ok Look for Wanaka airport on maps.google, then go slightly south. There is a green-ish field.

Just to the EAST there is an empty/dirt field and further to the EAST are trees.

Look in the dirt field near the top, zoom in a bit. You will see the plane. Flying WEST.

If you look just below the second double white lines on the runway. There appears to be a helicopter aswell!!

.there is an image of an Avro Lancaster flying over Stukeley Meadows, Huntingdon, England, as originally spotted it appears by a chap on Google Earth Community who lives just about right under the aircraft's position when Google Earth's satellite captured this snap.

The Lancaster in question is the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's "City of Lincoln." The image is at 52 20 10.87N 0 11 43.34W, or right here (Google Earth KMZ link). ®

Ok, probably not such a big thing.But if you think about it, all the airports, etc, you don't get to see many planes either landing or taking off. Especially the big ones!

But!

While doing some leg work for the trip to Wanaka, I found a SMALL plane flying - and possibily its shadow on the ground too! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Look for Wanaka airport on maps.google, then go slightly south. There is a green-ish field.

And just near it you will see either its shadow or a funny shaped pond that looks like the plane.

And here's another one.

Google Earth Community[/url] who lives just about right under the aircraft's position when Google Earth's satellite captured this snap.The Lancaster in question is the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's "City of Lincoln." The image is at 52 20 10.87N 0 11 43.34W, or right here (Google Earth KMZ link). ®

I think Google Maps/Earth has been updated since 2005 because I can't seem to find it no matter what altitude I'm at.

If you have a look at Brisbane airport runway 01 you will see the shadow of a twin engine jet taking off (just near the 01). I can't find the actual aircraft in the picture though.

Guest Kevin the Penniless

Do a Google earth on Mirramar, California. Theres an FA18 landing and one climbing out, you can see their shadows on the ground.

Several years ago i was trying to familarise myself with the landing area for paragliders in Semonzo in Italy. The zone was in amongst buildings but ended up being easy to find as there was a PG about to land and several on the ground. The landing area has now been built on and moved about a kilometer away to a place that is a lot safer.

• 10 months later...