Access around Alice Springs and Darwin for Fuel and secure parking

Captain

Can anyone suggest the closest strips to The Alice and to Darwin for AvGas and good secure parking for a day or three, where a taxi or hire car is accessible?

Regards Geoff

Off on a little trip are we Geoff ?

What route are you taking as I have a mate that went there last year and was only telling me the other day about some of his fuel stops.

Tezza

PS. How is your prop going

Off on a little trip are we Geoff ?What route are you taking as I have a mate that went there last year and was only telling me the other day about some of his fuel stops.

Tezza

PS. How is your prop going

G'day Terry,

I have 2 mates leaving Wagga on June 7th to ride motorcycles Wagga - Darwin - Broome - Perth - Albany and back over a couple of months and doing a fair bit of "tourist" stuff.

Am planning to join/leapfrog them over about 2 weeks somewhere during that time and am thinking of Wagga - Broken Hill - Leigh Creek - Lake Ayer - William Creek - Coober Pedy (with a day-off to do the mail run) - Ayers Rock (with another day for scenic stuff)- The Alice - Tennant Creel - Jabiru/Kakadu - Darwin ........ then maybe back thru F'nQ and Longreach etc.

Doubt that I can fit Broome in based on the time that I have.

Only issues look like getting RA-Aus access into The Alice and Darwin for fuel and ground transport.

Would value a post here on what feedback your mate gave.

Prop is LOVELY. Smooth, a little more efficient almost everywhere ..................... and it hasn't fallen off yet.

Will you be at Temora? You might like to have a look at mine (prop) and have a chat with JRMobile about his 3 blader like I did at the SAAA at Cowra. If you are going, what days do you have in mind?

Best regards Geoff

Can anyone suggest the closest strips to The Alice and to Darwin for AvGas and good secure parking for a day or three, where a taxi or hire car is accessible?Regards Geoff

G'Day Captain,

A guy, Ken Watts runs a flying shool at Bond Springs, he trades under Rural Helicopters Alice phone book.

He kindly gave us parking areas and brought out fuel as he is there most days.

Re the hire car. He could give you a lift in to Alice and may drop off the car for you.

Be prepared for many coffees and chat. great bloke.

I took 2 X empty 20 lt cans in the 230 but never used them that time. Filled at Cadney H/S but William Creek is further if going that way. Can't help with Darwin.

Regards,

Phil

Geoff

For Darwin contact Top End Flying Club at MKT airfield I'm sure they will make you welcome:big_grin:

Airfield Location and Address

MKT Jenkins Road Noonamah 40 Kilometres South of Darwin. Turn right off the Stuart Highway into Jenkins Road and follow the signs.

12°36'31.38"S 131° 3'17.24"E

Frequency 127.10 (CTAF)

Runway 07/25 Length 1.2km

Surface - Dirt

http://www.tefc.com.au

Righto Geoff,

I have a few details from a mate and some from when we were over that way last year.

On our Lake Eyre trip we went from Broken Hill to Marree and overnighted there in the Caravan Park in a cabin which was great (think it was the Oasis) they have a great outside BBQ where everyone meets each other for about $10--brilliant and a good town to have a look at. Fuel is by drum which is not much chop cause you wont fit in 200 litres. leigh Creek doesn't have fuel anymore. William Creek has avgas in a bowser and is also a good spot to stop. Thats me done. The J230 fuel load made it easy

My mate Sheldon then went to Cadney Homestead, great food and avgas etc. Then Ayres Rock more avgas then Alice

Would love to get to Temora but doing some family camping over Easter.

Terry

• 1 month later...

Geoff,

How is the planning coming along?

I have a work do at Alice Springs early October and am toying with the idea of flying the Savvy.

Will start a thread re that as am looking for advice from those that have.

Hope your trip is looking good.

Regards,

Mark D

G'day Mark,

Planning is coming along nicely.

There is a chance that another 230 might come along and we are working on that, plus I have a friend with a Robo 44 who has started his planning for Wagga - Coober Pedy - Ayers Rock & back, although it looks like he needs to track Mildura/Port Augusta/Coober Pedy for fuel due to his range, whereas I plan Wagga - Broken Hill - Coober Pedy for fuel (via Lake Eyer/William Creek).

I'm just chasing Avgas and I suspect that your need for PULP will be an interesting other challenge, so will be interested to follow your other thread.

Will start next week on the detailed planning of the rest of the circumcission after Ayers Rock.

Regards Geoff

Geoff,How is the planning coming along?

I have a work do at Alice Springs early October and am toying with the idea of flying the Savvy.

Will start a thread re that as am looking for advice from those that have.

Hope your trip is looking good.

Regards,

Mark D

Mark,

There was a version of Australian Story a few weeks ago where that bloke from Flinders or King Island flew to Ayers Rock in what looked like one of your fine machines, so it is do-able.

Perhaps see if you can find a link to a record of his route, or dig out a copy of that Skippy Story and give him a call.

It seems that once you are out over the country where the road-houses have strips, it is relatively easy to just taxi up to the bousers.

Hope this helps.

Regards Geoff