mnemonics used in training.

Goodaye all

Has any body got a list of mnemonics used in training?

l have never used them in the past but my instructor qoutes them often to me.

There are a few listed in Bob Taits book but not the ones we use.

regards Bruce

Only those l have forgot. 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Not use to learning this way.

On a side note l usally feel exhursted after my lesson all that concentration.

Anybody else feel the same early on??

regards Bruce

Nemonics.

Don't take any notice of me. As far as I'm concerned there is little standardisation and you have to remember TWO things, the nemonic and then what it MEANS. Some times the action has to have such a weird description to make the nemonic make sense as a word that the meaning can be a lot confusing.. All planes require different actions depending on their systems/configurations, and in an emergency you might want to abreviate it (of necessity) so ...... Nev

On a side note l usally feel exhursted after my lesson all that concentration.Anybody else feel the same early on??

G'day Bruce,

Feeling exhausted after your lessons is quite normal for everyone, it is a pretty demanding hour for those first 10hrs or so, you are trying to learn as much as possible (take it in), plus try and do what your supposed to do, etc etc.... then the frustration as you thought you knew it, then can't seem to do it again etc... it's a very exhausting thing!

But the good news is, it will get better and better, you'll have more and more fun, and then it's the best ever! and just gets better after that! :thumb_up: Keep at it! :thumb_up:

As for acronyms, at first you'll find it hard to remember them, but like everything, once you do it over and over... you'll begin to wonder what all the fuss was about!

Different pilots/schools use slightly different ones sometimes, but you'll generally pick up what ever the instructor says. Make sure they are reasonably simple, so you don't have to work out the spelling (if you can call it that!) is to ensure you got everything!

Hi Bruce...yes I recall splitting headaches in the early lessons. Most was wondering how my instructor could sit there calmly when I was convinced I had no control! I obviously did but the stress!

Scotty :hittinghead:

If you're planning on venturing into Controlled Airspace, I use a simple acronym to jot down the clearance. The first letter is written vertically like this;

C - leared to (destination, where ever)

R - oute (the route atc wants you to take)

A - ltitude

F - requency after departure (sometimes relevant)

T - ransponder (4 digit squawk code)

In an example; ATC's call to you 'Bravo tango romeo, you're cleared to parafield coastal off shore via outer harbour, then planned route. maintain 1500, squawk 3404.'

Written like this;

C PPF

R coastal outer harbour (can just use a shorter version, its just for short term memory)

A 1500

F ----

T 3404

Hope this helps!

C - leared to (destination, where ever)

R - oute (the route atc wants you to take)

A - ltitude

F - requency after departure (sometimes relevant)

T - ransponder (4 digit squawk code)

There's another acronym that fits there, and it applies to me after most lessons:

C - Can't

R - Remember

A - A

F - Flippin' (or substitute your favourite F word)

T - Thing

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• 2 weeks later...

A couple I have been taugh

Pre landing checks ( performed on downwind ) Used for all aircraft types and say but skip through the ones which do not apply to your particular flying machine. May apply when you fly a different aircraft.

BUMFISH

B = Brakes Off, Test Brakes

U = Undercarriage Down & Locked ( or in a Jabiru - still attached )

M = Mixture full rich ( again may not apply but one day you may need to check )

F = Fuel Qty, Fuel Pump on, Fuel Pressure. Correct feed selected, Carb Heat if required

I = Instruments All Normal readings Temp, Pressure, (T&P's)

S = Switches Magnetos on. Landing Light on,

H = Hatches and Harnesses ( locked, secure,

Hope this helps

Guest rocketdriver
A couple I have been taughPre landing checks ( performed on downwind ) Used for all aircraft types and say but skip through the ones which do not apply to your particular flying machine. May apply when you fly a different aircraft.

BUMFISH

B = Brakes Off, Test Brakes

U = Undercarriage Down & Locked ( or in a Jabiru - still attached )

M = Mixture full rich ( again may not apply but one day you may need to check )

F = Fuel Qty, Fuel Pump on, Fuel Pressure. Correct feed selected, Carb Heat if required

I = Instruments All Normal readings Temp, Pressure, (T&P's)

S = Switches Magnetos on. Landing Light on,

H = Hatches and Harnesses ( locked, secure,

Hope this helps

Hi Rescue .... For me, there is a P between M and F

P for Primer closed and locked (if relevent) and Pitch fully fine when an adjustable or constant speed prop is fitted ... I still use the P even in a JAB

And as for carb heat, I tend to do this at the point of reducing the power ... I reduce the power a little, apply carb heat and then set descent power .... I do it this way as good practice to stay well clear of detonation at higher power settings. Its probably not necessary but it makes me feel better!

Guest rocketdriver
G'day Rocket

I know!...I'm being fussy!!

Hi CFI ..... I like fussy when we are talking about getting it right! ... and I take your point about applying the carby heat whilst the engine is producing power .... I guess my first move is in fact to make sure we are at a moderate power setting by the time the carby heat is on ...

regards

RD