Camping stoves for flying

G'day Pete,

I would have thought something that would run on AVGAS would be the go. Plenty of fuel available thru the fuel drain. But this may be too violatile.

We used Hexamine (solid fuel like a fire lighter) when I was in the army. This may be a bit more stable/safe. Anyway I'm not much help - I will be interested in further replies.

regards

The Coleman on a previous post I have, plus very old Primus one that folds into a metal box approx 120x120x100mm. Both run on petrol thus always have fuel. Also have petrol Colman "tilly type" pressure lanten and much bigger two burner stove.

Petrol always available out back which cannot be said of LPG, metho, kero, or the newer micky mouse gas cylinders. If you do not have any in your aircraft when you land I think you have a greater problem than thinking of cooking!:big_grin:

Been using this type of petrol stove and light for 40 years with bikes, 4x4, and aircraft and have never had a problem. REMEMBER a syphon hose!

my personal preference when camping was always a little gas stove, but do to them not being safe at certain altitudes.

I would have to go with my second favourite and one we used in high school many many times.

a trusty trangia, love them to bits and very reliable, from memory its just metholated spirits you need and 1 litre will last many many cooking times.

just my two cents worth.

Jay

G'day Pete,I would have thought something that would run on AVGAS would be the go. Plenty of fuel available thru the fuel drain. But this may be too violatile.

We used Hexamine (solid fuel like a fire lighter) when I was in the army. This may be a bit more stable/safe. Anyway I'm not much help - I will be interested in further replies.

regards

Avgas contains lead.

I think Trangia is the best stove.

I'd go with Trangia as well. As Jay says, a little metho lasts a long time and the Trangia isn't just a stove, it's a whole cook set. Two pots, fry pan and small billy, so you can heat up your Rats or cook up fresh, and the whole thing weighs bugger-all.

If you do get caught out without your Metho, a tin can, some sand in the bottom and a splosh of petrol will get you by. Just punch some holes around the top of the can so air can still get in when you put your pot on top.

this[/url]. As BigPete said, there's plenty of fuel available. I used to use one when camping under the bike. Haven't been on long enough trips in the plane to worry about stoves. I can eat my rats cold for a few days.

You'd definitely want to be using MOGAS and not 100LL :)

I'm pretty agricultural you might say, but it works....

I've made this thing, put dirt/sand in the bottom, and poor whatever you fancy into it, just enough to soak into the sand to make it moist.

Light it up, and away she will burn, depending how much sand, and how wet you make it as to how long it will last.

Metho burns clean, but doesn't last long, petrol works a treat, kero smokes like a train, etc etc...

The legs screw off, and she'll all pack up, weighing 600grams or so I guess.

Sorry the pic's are shocking quality/light, took it on my phone in the dark, not a good combination.

[ATTACH]10149.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10147.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10148.vB[/ATTACH]

25032010(002).jpg.b5c41bc4d5cb0506680e5ce8d98e4649.jpg

25032010(004).jpg.bc05c6b63c438531f54d9eba8a748a0a.jpg

25032010.jpg.07cd38c9d323cbf8acc617b1563b69a2.jpg

Trangia set, or MSR Extreme stove, which is a multi-fuel but runs best on Shellite. This little wonder will boil a litre of water in a bit under a minute. The MSR stoves are superb for compact, efficient units, but the Trangia are fractionally quicker to set up.