Red Bull Air Race - Who's going?

Yep I will be there on the Sunday. Have booked a couple of grandstand seats. Not sure about dress at this stage, will wait and see what the weather forecast is first.

Guest mike_perth

Ill be there both days....now that I could almost walk down!!

Maybe we should plan to catch up somewhere for a beer. My mate owns a pub near by so maybe we could meet there Im sure he'd cut us a deal on a few cheap beers!!

Mike

Country kid, It's on both days 17th and 18th of April - just 11 days(sleeps:laugh:) away but I'm only going on Sunday.

mile_perth, Be more than happy to meet up at your mates pub even though I don't drink. I'm not a wowser though and would welcome the opportunity to 'have a couple' with you and any other forumites who might like to come along.

Waddaya reckon? I'll PM you my details mike and ck, we must also be aware that there are some younguns amongst us so a bar/cafe style place might be better.

Cheers,

Pud

I'll be there on the Saturday only. I didn't even know it was possible to book a grandstand seat. Is that worth it or where are good places to watch from?

Mazda,

Jeez it would be good to meet up but Saturday is out for me.

A grandstand seat is worth it because you are elevated a bit right in the centre of the course and also have a big screen right in front but below the action. Only downside is you are in the sun the whole time - no shade whatsoever unless you go out the back for a while. I haven't booked grandstand seats this year (I got freebys from forum member poll last year:laugh: 'cos he couldn't go) because I want to move around a bit and catch up with recflying forumites if I can. I like the South Perth (south of the river) foreshore area close to the grandstand seating and there are a few trees for shade if you get lucky. You can usually get right down on the waters edge for an uninterrupted if you persevere. Some people like the city side (north of the river) close to Langley Park because that is where the aircraft are housed and they use Langley Park as the airfield. It's a great sight with the city as a backdrop.

Having said all that, it's the south side for me as close to the chicanes as I can get to experience the speed, noise and vibrations.... Great stuff.

Saturday should be good because not as many people go.

Pud

Guest mike_perth

Ok dont know if Im allowed to post the name of the proposed meeting place but if Im not Im sure my post will be deleted

I propose 10:30 at Manhattens Bar in Vic Park it makes a nice stroll back down after a coffee or two or alternativly at 3 oclock after the racing finishes I think Sunday would be the day as thats obviously the day "It all happens"

Let me know your thoughts and Ill get onto my mate.

Mike

Ok dont know if Im allowed to post the name of the proposed meeting place but if Im not Im sure my post will be deletedI propose 10:30 at Manhattens Bar in Vic Park it makes a nice stroll back down after a coffee or two or alternativly at 3 oclock after the racing finishes I think Sunday would be the day as thats obviously the day "It all happens"

Let me know your thoughts and Ill get onto my mate.

Mike

Sounds ok to me Mike, I reckon 10.30am at Manhattens Bar for a coffee or 2 would be good before seeing the action start at around 11.45 or a bit later if we start telling too many lies;) and having a good time.

Any other takers? Come on, don't be shy:laugh:

Pud

i will try and make it down on sunday. its me and the missus 2 year (

not married) anniversary on the 18th and were going on a cruise the night before with free drinks for 4 hours so I will see how im feeling on sunday.

if not in the morning then maybe after.

Guest Brett Campany

I'm pretty firm on being there on Saturday at the Heliwest stand on the north side of Langley park, flying Sunday from YPJT so not sure when I'll be there on Sunday.

I'm pretty firm on being there on Saturday at the Heliwest stand on the north side of Langley park, flying Sunday from YPJT so not sure when I'll be there on Sunday.

Saturday is out for me Brett,

I'd like to catch up so will keep an eye out for any one remotely looking like a "Recflyer forumite"006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I'll look like my Avatar:sad:

Pud

Guest mike_perth

Both sides of the river are good - the Langley park side is good as your next to the temporary airfield they use but I personally prefer the south side but its really personal choice.

Guest mike_perth

Guys

Forgot to just add if anyone is interested I can get tickets to the VIP section on the south side near the rowing club for saturday they are $100 and include all the liquid refreshments one can drink as well as a roast lunch!!!........You all know where Ill be!!

Guest Brett Campany

From previous years, like Mike said, south side is definatly the best place to be. If you're staying at Langley though Mazda, I'd recommend wandering down and checking out the field and aircraft then walk down towards the Canning Bridge and walking around to the South Perth side to watch the event. It'll be easier than trying to get around any other way. At this stage I'm only going to work down there with Heliwest on the Saturday from the Langley Park side as I'll be flying on Sunday out of Jandakot.

Mike, phone call coming your way buddy.

Guest mike_perth

Well if anyone is interested they are getting serious about training today Im in Vic Park and it sounds awesome!!!!

Cant wait for the weekend!!!!

amazing how strong those aircraft are, they can take a plunge into the river at 300Kph, and stay intact, as well as their cockpit safety cell, i hope hes well enough to fly and compete during the weekend. might have to borrow a aircraft though.

i remember a few yrs ago now, Peter Besingnei crashed into a light pole at Montegi. destroyed the aircraft, cockpit safety cell remained intact

Guest mike_perth

I dont know how true bu radio reports here saying hes in a critical condition

Hope all ends up being OK

I just love the emergency service... within 20 seconds, they were getting him out of the aircraft. You gotta applaud that I reckon. :thumb_up: