Distance from Airfield for inbound call

Assuming you don't have a map or a GPS, you've just been out bashing around the training area, is there any 'trick' or something where you can roughly calculate how many nm out you are for your inbound call, or is it just something that you have to learn by experience at that airfield?

Distance from field.

In my view, unless you have a GPS, you HAVE to be aware of the distance of recognisable features on the ground. Google earth has a good deal of usefull data ( It can almost be as if you have been there if your preparation is done thoroughly). Nev

I hadn't thought of Google Earth, I think I'll be spending some time with that and a photocopy of my map tonight, thanks :)

The reason I'm asking is that I know where I am in the training area (on my mental map) but have no idea how many miles it would be (yet anyway, I'll learn it pretty quick) :)

My instructor pointed out the training area on a map and then showed a road that was about 3 miles out (the training area's only 4-5 miles away) that we all give our inbound radio calls at.

You'll find some geographical feature's generally used by your school i'd say.

Guest rocketdriver
Assuming you don't have a map or a GPS, you've just been out bashing around the training area, is there any 'trick' or something where you can roughly calculate how many nm out you are for your inbound call, or is it just something that you have to learn by experience at that airfield?

Hi Darky. If its any help, I use the 1:500,000 maps as they give more details than the WAC charts, and, using a pencil, I mark off a prominent feature about every 10 minutes flying time along my track (knowing my groundspeed), and annotate the track in between with with time intervals. Then, whilst en route, I use these points as security blankets along my way. I know roughly what time I should get there, and low and behold there they are ..." I'm on track ... on time near enough ... phew!" similarly, you can mark a point on your track that is 10 NM out from your destination, and look for a prominant landscape feature that is nearby and make your call appropriately ....

Good luck, have fun

RD

Hi Darky. Firstly congratulations for at least trying to do the right thing by giving correct radio calls. There are many who do not, and I for one find that most frustrating. I'm not going to throw stones here, as my calls are far from perfect. As I understand the rules, radio calls are to be completed at the 8 minute mark or 10 miles, whichever is further out. If there is traffic about I also give a call at 5 miles, which I know is non-standard, but I want everybody to be looking out for me, in case I don't see them. I guess there is a problem if you are in the training area which is only a few miles out, so any call you make is going to be non-standard. The other problem is that a visiting pilot may not have any idea where the training area is, so a call with an accurate location is important. It comes back to the old pilot mantra "Aviate, navigate and communicate." Even in the training area it is good practice to accurately know your location, and will hold you in good stead for your X-country navs. As YLIL is in a fairly busy piece of airspace, could I suggest keeping a Melbourne VTC handy with 3, 6 & 9 nm radius' (or any other convenient scale) pencilled onto it. Even without a GPS this will give you a reasonable degree of accuracy and confidence when giving your calls. Other pilots and your instructor will be impressed with your professional radio calls. Good flying Ferris. ps even on a local flight it is good practice to carry a map and ERSA. You just never know when you will need to divert.

hey darky hope the training is still going well.

I have a bit of an idea that I got when looking at my VTC chart the other day.

One thing you can do on the chart you use for transiting to and from the training area measure to a really noticeable area on the chart and use that as your reference point,

Just like GAAP airports they can have a few reporting points. on your chart pick say 2 or 3 destinations that are 10nm out from the airfield and then everytime your coming in from the training area just make your call at that point:

for example: "bunbury traffic this is _ _ _ 10 miles north east (and say where you are)

now granted im only learning myself with 42 hours but I think it could work.

if it sounds confusing darky pm me and ill try and explain it a little more.

but essentially it is sort of a reporting position you have for GAAP aerodromes. you know its 10nm out from the airfield and everytime you come in if you go to that some place you will always be right.

Jay

for example: "bunbury traffic this is _ _ _ 10 miles north east (and say where you are)

Hi Jay. I just want to point out that we should be advising people to use the standard phraseology. In this advice, "this is" should be omitted, 10 should be spoken as "one zero", "(and say where you are)" should be "(and say what the reference point is - 10 miles NE of where?)".

Don't forget to include your intentions. If it's "inbound", the reference can be assumed to be the airfield (Bunbury in your example). You should also include your height, and consider an ETA at the circuit - "estimate circuit time zero fife" - so people have an idea of your speed and can take that into account when forming their mental picture of the area.

Easy huh?

Of course your instructors will cover all that during training, and certainly before you are cross-country endorsed.

So the correct phrase should be (instructors please further correct if I'm wrong):-

Bunbury traffic,

<call sign>,

one-zero miles north east at one thousand fife hundred feet,

inbound,

estimate circuit at time zero fife,

Bunbury

There's so much bad radio use around I just felt the need to point that out. 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

I'm a one zero mile caller... any of you who have been flying with me could probably tell you.

I think it sounds more professional, though it's not one of those 'do it or else' things! I've been doing it most of my time, and it comes without thinking now...

Just like saying three thousand five hundred, rather than thirty five hundred, just a little bit of finesse to make it sound simpler or something.

Folks,

The correct radio phraseology (including numbers) is in the AIP. If you haven't already noticed, the whole game changes mid-year, links are elsewhere on the site to the new rules for the carriage and use of radio, with a much wider spread of mandatory radio.

See the new regulations CAR 166 and 166A. Operating to or from or in the vicinity (note the definition of vicinity) of any aircraft listed in ERSA will require mandatory radio.

Regards,