Lowrance 2000c

I am thinking of upgrading my GPS.I like the look of the lowrance and am reliably informed that they are easy to operate.Am ringing around to check price and availability.Any comments would be appreciated.

Dave

Correct, Ian

I tried to find the advertised Lowrance stand at Airventure 2009, but found another vendor at that site. The guys at Aircraft Spruce (Lowrance dealers) confirmed that as of July 2009 Lowrance were giving up aviation products to concentrate on their marine side, their main production range. A pity, because the Airmap 500 I use has proved to be a great little unit, and I am still looking for a 600c to upgrade to a colour unit.

There is probably a good chance that you could pick up a used 2000c on eBay - my stored search for a 600c keeps turning up the 2000c, but not a single 600!

Guest Sharp End
I am thinking of upgrading my GPS.I like the look of the lowrance and am reliably informed that they are easy to operate.Am ringing around to check price and availability.Any comments would be appreciated.Dave

We've been using a 2000c for three years, we bought one from Wade Air in Orange NSW. Easy and intuitive to plan before flight and versatile for quick airborne changes, plus good graphics and a decent power saving mode. We have never needed the external antennae (the Airtourer has bubble canopy) so for the screen size she's relatively compact. If you get one, I suggest hard wiring it via the unit's external 12V input as the four AAs don't last more than about two hours... good enough for local flights but a drag on long cross-countries. The provided RAM clamp and sucker works extremely well. I'd buy another one for VFR flying in a heartbeat, the unit's well made, the software's bulletproof and she's still working as well as the day we got her.

S-E

• 3 weeks later...
I am thinking of upgrading my GPS.I like the look of the lowrance and am reliably informed that they are easy to operate.Am ringing around to check price and availability.Any comments would be appreciated.Dave

In a word "Don't. They are no longer making them and the Australian Agent is of no help at all with problems.

nevjoll

Have a look at the Avmap Geo Pilot 2+ David

Bigger screen (5" vs Garmin's 4") and you can even record your voice doing your checks to play back to you in your headset when needed 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - upload scanned images of your wacs, google maps etc.

GPS makes now seem to have come down to the Slarti's super dooper with camberwell combustion chamber, twin overhead foxtails, chrome plated grease nipples, coffee making unit 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif, Avmap true aviation bigger screen unit and Garmin's in car touch screen aviation mapped units.

My personal choice in order and depending on needs is:

Slarti

Avmap

Garmin

GPs

I would also recommend the Geo Pilot 2. I have had the plus model for the last year. It has always behaved well. Nice big clear screen with contour awareness. I don't think there is any point in paying the extra for the plus model as we in Australia can't get the benefits it provides.

Back to the Airmap 2000c. Had problems with the buttons not working. A friend pulled it down and found the ribbon connector from the control buttons had almost fallen out. I don't do aerobatics!

I've also flown with the Garmin 296. Nice unit but screen is too small and text too small to read.

Nevjoll

The Geo Pilot 2 (non plus model) doesn't have battery back up and it has to be powered by the aircraft and the distributor is not bringing this model into Australia any more except for special orders.

Had to send out a Garmin 695 today and whilst it is very expensive, it is a nice unit - the comparable Avmap is the EKP-IV with the same size screen as the 695 but cheaper, a consideration when thinking about the big bangers. Since Friday we have sent out 2 Geopilots, a 495 and a 695 so the Geopilots are still outselling a comparable Garmin unit 2 to 1 which has been the case for some time now.

However, Clear Prop is currently in the process of becoming an Authorised Garmin Dealer (not a reseller) so that will make things interesting.

• 3 months later...

I see not only has Lowrance has pulled the pin on the manufacturing of the 2000c but they are not providing update services on the Jeppesen map data... no reason given other than there is a "situation" ... which i think is code for don't sue us yet!

LEI Extras - Jeppeson Database Updates

It's not right these guys can promote and sell a product and then dump it without warning as well as continue to allow their distributors to sell the old stock knowing there is no software map back up.

Shame on Lowrance

Jack

Airmap 2000C buttons fixed?

I would also recommend the Geo Pilot 2. I have had the plus model for the last year. It has always behaved well. Nice big clear screen with contour awareness. I don't think there is any point in paying the extra for the plus model as we in Australia can't get the benefits it provides. Back to the Airmap 2000c. Had problems with the buttons not working. A friend pulled it down and found the ribbon connector from the control buttons had almost fallen out. I don't do aerobatics!

I've also flown with the Garmin 296. Nice unit but screen is too small and text too small to read.

Nevjoll

The above prompted me to pull my Airmap 2000C apart as the Enter, Exit and Find buttons have been useless. My ribbon connector was secure. BUT there was some adhesive tape holding down the ribbon connector that links the buttons to the circuit board. I removed this tape and now my unit has worked faultlessly for a few hours with lots of button pressing when entering Nav routes. This tape seemed to have a static charge when I removed it, and I don't know much about electronics but think this may have been interfering with the button signals. Anyway, it is now working, and for all those out there with the same problem, it's worth a try. My removed tape was a transparent orange colour. Good luck.