Should we, shouldn't we?

Guest ozzie

Give it about five years when there will be no difference between RAAus and GA. Twin, turbine, IFR and night VFR ratings will be considered for the same reasons that CTA and above 5,000ft are today. basically just the 'continued growth' of the sport/industry.

ozzie

Guest Howard Hughes

Mmmmmm twins...............Oh you mean engines!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Nice looking aircraft by the way!

That aircraft is from Aeroprakt and is a relation of the Foxbat. It's performance is amazing but I think it might be a little above our weight limits.

However there are a few twins out there that would fit such as the Cri-Cri. How could this be seen as anything other than a recreational aircraft......

Cri-Cri.jpg.7331f0beff3faa826504fc44d5f984ef.jpg

That Cri-Cri sure is something special. Quite a performer with 2 very small engines. On the other hand, this seems to be somewhat over powered.

976907582_Over-poweredA-37.jpg.3e8211defd12c3f5ed40bde78ac8c02c.jpg

Guest ozzie

No such thing as a overpowered twin. The norm with them is lose 50% of your available power and you lose 75% of your performance.

That A37 looks like it could climb out of anywhere and then shut down one and increase your range threefold and not lose to much in the cruise speed.

A 70% scale B25 would be a nice machine.

Ozzie

No such thing as a overpowered twin. The norm with them is lose 50% of your available power and you lose 75% of your performance. That A37 looks like it could climb out of anywhere and then shut down one and increase your range threefold and not lose to much in the cruise speed.

A 70% scale B25 would be a nice machine.

Ozzie

I was searching google one day and came across a Drifter with twin 912 rotax on it.

It was awsome looking! but havn't been able to find it again. It was in USA I think.

Now that was overpowered!!

Monty

The yellow twin is an Aeroprakt A36 tandem 2-seat taildragger twin. Composite fuselage, metal wings & tail. Twin Rotax 912ULS (100hp) engines with in-flight variable props. Empty weight 450 kgs, MTOW 750 kgs. Unfortunately(?) only available as a kit. Quite a few flying worldwide including some in Eastern Europe where they put a tank in the back seat and use it for spraying. Performance is definitely in the WOW! category.....eg 600 fpm climb two-up on one engine. Try Airliners.net | Airplanes - Aviation - Aircraft- Aircraft Photos & News for some more pictures

A-37 is in production. I came across it on a Russian site and, if memory serves me right, they said it was being used as a skydiving platform for 4 divers. That must be one hell of a squeeze to get them in. I'll try looking back in my history to find the post.

Now, here's where it gets confusing. Long long ago in 1974 there was (and to some extent, still is) a company called Aeropract (with a 'c') in Samara - a joint Russian-Finnish concern, set up to manufacture ultralights, hang-gliders etc. Unfortunately, the owner/chief designer was killed in a crash in 2000 and the company stopped production for a while. some say they have never recovered from the death of the founder.

Compared with Aeroprakt (with a 'k') in Ukraine they are a small company.

The only link between them is that they agreed Aeropract would designate odd-number models - A-23, A-37 etc - and Aeroprakt would designate even numbered models - A-20, A-22, A-36 etc.

What a little piece of aviation trivia....

Twin performance and handling.

Unless they are centreline thrust eg C-337 the engine out situation (Particularly at take off, and climb) is very critical in control, and performance. Directionally, you have to have the rudder input right and the airspeed just right for the weight. As well as maintaining wings level( or slight good engine low). If you climb too fast the aircraft will not achieve any climb at all. if you get too slow the rudder will not stop the yaw towards the dead engine and the plane will turn and roll and you usually end up with a vertical dive to the ground. You should feather the dead engine to reduce drag also. If you think that this is a piece of cake you are wrong. You need a lot of training and RECENT practice. Assymetric training was responsible for innumerable deaths until good simulators were available.

Many twin jets could be considered overpowered and do reduced thrust takeoffs to save the engines when appropriate. At a hot and high aerodrome at max AUW (Performance not structural), they will just make the required climb gradient with one engine out like any other aircraft.

early twins like DH Dragons, Miles gemini's etc.the certification did not require this type of performance and the remaining engine only extended the glide. You in effect just had almost a single engined aircraft with 2 chances of engine failure.. Nev

A-37 is in production. I came across it on a Russian site and, if memory serves me right, they said it was being used as a skydiving platform for 4 divers. That must be one hell of a squeeze to get them in. I'll try looking back in my history to find the post.

Google Translate

This is the page I was looking at.

Aeroprakt A-36

For the most part I would vote NO to twins, but then I find something I really, really like.

Here's a link to more info on this delightful twin.... FPNA - A36 Vulcan

Now if we ever see 750 kgs... well?