Dipping the oil in your jabiru engine.

old man emu

Guest Maj Millard

Surley this important point would be covered in the aircraft operators' manual ????.....Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif If not, why not ?

Surley this important point would be covered in the aircraft operators' manual ????.....Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif If not, why not ?

I believe it is, but it's usually on the lid of the oil cover - well it is on the one I fly.

As a general rule - unless stated otherwise - you usually screw/push the stick in to dip it. (in the industrial/automotive world)

I just let it sit on top of the threads and if it is on the bottom of the stick it has to be within the level required for the engine once the dipstick is screwed back in, (check it, it works)

Brian

I just let it sit on top of the threads and if it is on the bottom of the stick it has to be within the level required for the engine once the dipstick is screwed back in, (check it, it works)Brian

Brian is right, if you just let it sit there on top of the thread and it measures 3 or 4mm up the stick it has plenty of oil. If you have to add oil and try measuring by winding the dipper home well go and bake some scones because thats how long its going to take before you can get a clean reading. This is an important point because most people mistakenly overfill jab engines (which the motor just spits back out into the collection bottle) and then worry that their motor is using too much oil. Before i was told how to correctly dip the oil i always added to much myself but now the consuption rate on my 120 sits about 35 ml per hour.

Here's a handy file from Jabiru that give you all you need to know about oil dip sticks and oil levels.Cheers

Jack

Key here I think is last paragraph in document, "Know your AC" I have older 3300 and After having adjusted dipstick to lengths indicated it is always nearly off the stick - fill it any more it spits it out and/or has VERY hot oil temp.

Gets to hundreds of ml per hour use

If I leave it just on the tip or at bottom mark max it sips oil at normal rate

• 3 months later...

Hi people,

I added an extra 15 or so mm to the dipstick so I can run it on the low mark and still measure the level... the only time I fill it any higher is to cross bass strait (fear factor)...

Cheers, Jim