Intro

Guest Steven Runciman

Guest Steven Runciman

Hi people,

My name is Steve Runciman. I am in the Defence Force currently serving in Townsville. I am a transfer from the British Army and have been in Australia since Jan 08. I was introduced to Trikes shortly after arrival by a friend and I have been hooked ever since. I currently fly a DTA Trike (French made) and I fly out of Montpellier Airpark (old World War 2 Airfield formally known as Aplin Plains). The airpark is extensively used by Trikers (we call ourselves the BRAT's - Barrier Reef Adventure Trikers), Fixed Wing and Gyro pilots. A great time is had by all. I have recently been nominated as the RAAus North Queensland Board Member so no doubt many of you will be hearing more from me in the near future. Glad to be a member of what appears to be a great web-site. Safe Flying, Steve

Guest Maj Millard

I know Steve well and he has got my support and vote, (even though he is a trike flyer), no really, I have had Steve in the Lightwing and he handled it well with his past Fixed wing experience. Steve is a natural organizer and leader. We can only hope he can wade through the murk at the board meetings......................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif.....................................:thumb_up:

Welcome to the site Steve!

What can I say Steve :big_grin:...no doubt Chris has got you up to speed on the board things. Please feel free to use this site as one of the communication channels to the many RAAus members up your way...there are many on here helping each other out!

Guest Steven Runciman

Hey Guys, thanks for the welcome and thanks for the messages and support about my selection for the North Queensland Board member; it is a great privilege and I hope I can do the appointment justice. It is a good question as to what I can do for RAAus. You will have, no doubt, read my article in the latest magazine in which I introduce myself, give a bit about my flying background and what my intentions are as a Board member. I see my job as being in three major areas, and they are: to assist the organisation in its quest to keep and improve the privileges to its members, to assist in the promotion of Safe Flying and the most important part of the job will be to represent the interest of all members of RAAus living in North Queensland by encouraging ideas, representing those ideas and to keep the information flow going. I do not have the monopoly on good ideas and so far I have heard some good ones that I intent to take to the board. I have already been involved in some activities organised by RAAus, firstly the participation of RAAus members in the Townsville RAAF open day last year (article in the Feb 10 issue of the RAAus magazine) and secondly, I was able to assist the board members in the organisation of the Nor-RAAus Monto 2010 Fly-in (article on the Jul 10 issue of the RAAus magazine).Both of these ideas came from members and it was good to see that we were able to get stuck in and do something about it. The idea of Monto was to allow the Northern members, many of whom are unable to attend NATFLY due to the distance involved, attend a fly-in that has all that NATFLY has to offer. Monto was a great success (visited by approximately 350 aircraft and occupants) and the reason for this, in my view, is the great work put in by the board members to get this event up and running but in particular Chris Ungermann and Myles Breitkreutz, the support given to the event by the Monto Council, the work done by the RAAus board members, staff and volunteers over the weekend and, most importantly, the support and behaviour of all members who attended which, as highlighted in the Northern Operations Managers article in the Jul magazine, was impeccable. In the article he stated that you should lobby your board member to ensure the event occurs again next year; and this is very important. On Fri 6 Aug I will be going to Monto to speak with the council on their thoughts about this year’s event, to represent RAAus thoughts and to start the ball rolling for next year’s event. For those who attended, let me know your thoughts and ideas for improvement. For those who didn’t attend please stick it in your diary for next year – Queens Birthday long weekend. I have said that I intend to keep the information flow going but remember – communication flows both ways and I cannot represent your thoughts and ideas if I don’t know them so keep in touch. I hope this has gone someway to answer your question. I am very much looking forward to taking up the mantle of North Queensland Board member and, as stated, I hope I can do it justice. Until next time – Safe and enjoyable flying. Regards, Steve

Guest Steven Runciman

Ian,

Thanks mate. What a great site and I can see that it is very useful site which is used by many. Thanks for the offer to use this site to communicate with the RAAus members in the North and as you can see, I have already started! I am really looking forward to the appointment. Could I just say a big thank you, and no doubt I echo the thoughts of many, for providing this facility. Look forward to communicating further with you. Kind Regards, Steve

Guest Steven Runciman

Maj Millard, where have you been mate? I haven't seen you for ages and we missed you at the airfield during the maintenance today. Thanks for your support and kind words for the appointment; I am looking forward to it. In the meantime stay safe and I look forward to seeing you again soon. Regards, Steve

Guest Steven Runciman

cficare, thanks for taking the time to read my entry to the forum. You are, indeed, right - without the flyers there would be no board or even organisation. However, since deciding to submit my application for the position of board member I have seen the vast amount of work being done by board members and staff on behalf of it's members to keep and improve privileges currently being enjoyed by us all such as the great insurance cover we have and many more. You are right that many things will not happen without the members getting involved - the many, many volunteers that work tirelessly at events such as NATFLY and Monto and I encourage you all to volunteer and give some time, wherever possible, to ensure these events happen and go from strength to strength - they would not happen without your help. I dont mean to restrict my representation to Nth Q members and would be happy to represent any member to the board. That having been said, as stated, all board members work extremely hard on behalf of their members and I am sure those members have the confidence in their chosen board member. Kind Regards, Steve

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Steven,interested to see you taking part.

If you come up to Cairns any time, please drop in and see me,the Drifter has 2 seats.

I`ll introduce you to 2 of our local trike pilots.

Mention my name to Maj (Ross),he knows me well.

Cheers and all the best,

Frank.