Redbull glider change over...

Guest pookemon

Guest pookemon

Yeah if you look at the still of the guy touching the fin, the brakes on the upright glider are out - so they're probably in a dive to maintain the speed of the upper glider with the lower one doing all it can to keeps it's speed down. The shape of those gliders is very rags and sticks but I suspect they're actually carbon fibre/fibre glass. I can't imagine they were built for wing walking though!

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah if you look at the still of the guy touching the fin, the brakes on the upright glider are out - so they're probably in a dive to maintain the speed of the upper glider with the lower one doing all it can to keeps it's speed down. The shape of those gliders is very rags and sticks but I suspect they're actually carbon fibre/fibre glass. I can't imagine they were built for wing walking though!

L13 Blaniks

kaz

No they're sheet Al. it's one of only two gliders I've flown. I looked for the spoilers ( should've looked harder). Good bit of flying that. Mad Bastards. Nev

The worldwide fleet of L13's was grounded about a year ago due to fatigue cracks in the wing roots. Not sure what the current state of play is but they used to get thrown all over the sky years ago.

kaz

The worldwide fleet of L13's was grounded about a year ago due to fatigue cracks in the wing roots. Not sure what the current state of play is but they used to get thrown all over the sky years ago.kaz

Hi Kaz...............Don't I know it 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif......................I was training in our club Blanik two years ago.................what a beautiful girl she was................then she bit me on the bum 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif giggle.gif.9fbf2613564ad555277246f6add2d17e.gif I stalled her twice in under 2mins 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif that got my heart rate going 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif and my instructor doing this 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I slapped her when I put her back in the hangar 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif Then a week or so later she was grounded 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif Miss the old girl, especially when flying with eagles at 4500'...................That actually was the last flight I had in her..................Great way and memory to go out on though kiss.gif.b85e4cbf93c012b498aab8fe7d5a5fe6.gif................Alley

Don't underestimate those old Blaniks! Try that in a "Plastic Fantastic".

The Blanik is the only sailplane I recall seeing flown with its canopy off (and in this case opened in flight)... couple that with its acrobatic capabilities and its a capable old bird.

• Like 1

Don't underestimate those old Blaniks! Try that in a "Plastic Fantastic".The Blanik is the only sailplane I recall seeing flown with its canopy off (and in this case opened in flight)... couple that with its acrobatic capabilities and its a capable old bird.

I instructed in Blaniks at Euroa in the early 1980's. I sent one young uni student solo and he then got all enthusiastic in single seaters. Cross-country required a parachute so he decided to go down to Packenham to learn how to use it. Came back all excited and cajoled me into taking him for a jump from the Blanik sans canopy. I ended up tipping him out!

kaz

• Like 2

There isnt many blaniks that are still flying as far as i know. Caboolture has done the required modifications to allow theres back in the air, and i have been flying that one, but I remember them saying that not many people bothered. I think they are a fantastic glider.

• Like 1

There isnt many blaniks that are still flying as far as i know. Caboolture has done the required modifications to allow theres back in the air, and i have been flying that one, but I remember them saying that not many people bothered. I think they are a fantastic glider.

Hi Nathan

The Blanik (VH-GPS) at Central Queensland should be back flying in two or three weekends time. It is lucky some had the wing spar modifications done years ago. I hear one is a current project. Best I can make out is that about seven can fly. I see on a google search recently that a Red Bull one is flying again with the european modification at gives approval to fly again. It not as an extensive modification and the life extension is much shorther then the llewlyn modification done in Australia.

Cheers and I hope to soon share the joy of a recent Blanik Flight.

Mike

• Like 1

Well... the whole thing if you could just stick a motor on top and limit it to single seat and fly as per Ra AUS?

Been tried many times in the past here in Australia and overseas. Some of the installations have been a success many have not. Lots of compromises and the Blanik doesn't like the engine vibrations. I suggest you talk to the old hands at the GFA who will be able to give you better history and possible leads to follow.

Steve

Well... the whole thing if you could just stick a motor on top and limit it to single seat and fly as per Ra AUS?

I'd like to have self launching on GPS but for the ugly engine appendage and the drag.

Bert Persons at Cabulture has flown many aircraft as test pilot and there is a clip of a flight in a motorised Blanaik look through the Caboolture webb page albums.

Blaniks should stay pure gliders. You must come down for a flight sometime. I need my next trip down to finish its current form two list and get some time back under my belt.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1