Beautiful airplanes - but terrible landings

Deskpilot

Guest pookemon

The good thing with a model that big is that it's easier to see and easier to get higher levels of detail on the model (important if it's a competition scale aircraft). You can also end up with better than a 1:1 power to weight ratio on some of the models. They are also considerably cheaper than something you'd fly yourself (even the jets - and they're big $$$) - and you don't need medicals, licenses or anything (just a radio check every two years if you're flying competition/airshows). The larger models will also fly more realistic - which is important in scale competitions.

Some of those models will take years to build - the attention to detail is amazing - and it's amazing how often you see a model that has taken years to build, and the guy flying it has two left thumbs (evident when it comes to landing).

Fantastic models but some of them are so big I think I'd rather fly it myself.

Was thinking that too but this is Europe, so who knows by now Brussels probably has regulations against individuals flying their own planes (or something equally nuts)!

• 1 year later...

The good guys make smooth landings, but there's an element with plenty of money to buy the big ones, very short fuses with instructors, and very entertaining just getting the aircraft down without damage.