Skyranger Swift build

zodiac3813

Hi Jim. Have you thought of using one of the new I Pad minis, 7.9 in screen with OZ Runways. There should be ample room on the panel for it, a lot cheaper than some of the other dedicated GPS units with a multitude of uses.Greg.

Hi Greg, unforunately the WiFi version of the ipad mini doesn't have a GPS: only the cellular version does. Since I don't want another phone plan, it kind of puts it out of contention... pity, because Oz runways is brilliant. Hopefully they'll bring out an android version!

Hi Mark, I live in Launceston, hanger at Mt. Direction.

Thanks Jim,

I am going down to Hobart first week of Jan.

Might not get up to Launceston this trip... Otherwise, would have loved to have checked on your progress.

Regards

Mark

• 7 months later...
Hi Everyone,I am expecting the Skyranger Swift kit to arrive any week now (the first in Tasmania), I'll post some progress photos and maybe start some kind of a blog if I can figure out how to (???). Engine will be 100hp Rotax, still debating whether glass panel or steam gauges...

Cheers Jim.

Me too, i should have my kit in the 1st week of August

• Helpful 1

?.WiFi version of the ipad mini doesn't have a GPS: only the cellular version does. Since I don't want another phone plan,!

you don't need a phone plan to use the GPs capability. Or buy a plug-in GPS to use with the basic iPad.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Jim:Looks spectacular mate.

Just curious, how did you get it to stand on its wheels like that without a weight at the front, or support at the back?

Hi Scott, if you mean the earlier photos, the plane would JUST balance that way before adding the horizontal stabiliser and rudder... then it needed weight up front!

Hi Gary,

Sounds good! if I can be of any help, please let me know. I have lots of construction photos etc that I'd be happy to post to you on a disk if you want to email me your address.

Cheers, Jim.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Gary,Sounds good! if I can be of any help, please let me know. I have lots of construction photos etc that I'd be happy to post to you on a disk if you want to email me your address.

Cheers, Jim.

Jim, Why don't you post them on recreationalflying? ...so that all Skyranger Swift builders can benefit?

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

Not been on the site for yonks ... but completed the build last year ....

Last week I installed an external refuelling point ... and now sorting out LED landing light / strobes ... not wings just forward facing for landing in poor viz

The plan is great and I am thinking of building another one ....

Hi Scott, if you mean the earlier photos, the plane would JUST balance that way before adding the horizontal stabiliser and rudder... then it needed weight up front!

Hi Zodiac,

I'm from the other end of the island - Allens Rivulet. Just wondering if you'd finished your build yet, and did you get your ticket in Tas? Almost time for me to start considering training options, I believe Eugene Reid is still the main man in Tassie, not sure if there's any others.

Thanks, Marty